Powder demo skis?
5 posts
5 users
1k+ views
MangyMarmot
February 28, 2008
Member since 12/25/2002 🔗
183 posts
OK, I have to admit I SUCK at powder skiing. I don't get to experience it that much, since my trip timing always seems to miss the major dumps.

But I just experienced a huge storm here in Tahoe. I demo'ed dome Salomon twin tip kinda stubby skis (can't remember the name, but they weren't true powder skis... they were shaped, just fatter than my K2 Axis X.)

They did WAY better than my K2s in the 3 feet of freshies. Though I did ski my K2s the next day in windblown... and spent a lot of time wallowing around in the snow.

Headed to Salt Lake in 3 weeks. I'm hoping for some weather out there. Any advice on a powder ski to demo? I'm either a high intermediate or low advanced skier (except for in powder where I tend to catch edges and eat it a lot).

And for ski length, I'm 5'11" and 175.

mm
FreshPow
February 28, 2008
Member since 01/2/2008 🔗
174 posts
I love my Dynastar Legend Mythic Riders. They handled some Park City powder over the holidays very well (then do justice on the groomers and the bumps).

90 mm under foot - so enough to float. I'm 5'10" 180 pounds and an advanced skier. Mine's a 172. Dynastar's next level, more 'off piste' ski is the Pro Rider. I've never ridden, but believe you need to be firmly in the Advanced/Expert world to properly leverage.

Good luck and have a great trip.
tromano
February 28, 2008
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
I would say go for a 183 gotama or 181 scott P4. If it is really deep day it might be worth while to try a fun shape like a pontoon, I know you can rent them at alta.
nakedskier
February 28, 2008
Member since 02/3/2005 🔗
93 posts
I just demo'd a pair of Salomon Ten Eighty Foils at Taos last week. In fact, I found them again at Taos after skiing Ski Santa Fe last year in the same skis. I loved them so much both times that I went back to the ski shop and bought them!

They're good for the park and powder. You will not be disappointed.
skier219
February 28, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Definitely try a Volkl Mantra since it is a popular ski and should be easy to come by. I liked the Mantra, but absolutely love the Fischer Watea 94. The Wateas will probably be harder to come by as a demo, unless you hit a shop that sells Fischer.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.