5th annual Teleday at Whitetail Saturday
5 posts
2 users
1k+ views
RodSmith
February 28, 2008
Member since 10/22/2004 🔗
318 posts
Sorry for the short notice. I just found out about this today. Details in a Word document available at Whitetail's website which I can't open. If you have Microsoft Word, let me know what it says. Haha

I went last year and it was a lot of fun. It was free and group rate on lift ticket, so it actually cost less to attend than to just free ski. Throw in instruction from a PSIA nordic examiner, pretty good deal, eh? Ski school has taken over running the event, so it might not be free this year, but I'm sure it will be worth the price.

It's for all levels, so come on out. We broke up into groups according to ability level. I think there was only one first time telemarker there. If I recall correctly, he got a private lesson from two! certified instructors. Because I don't know the details, I'll just show up early where they met last year, downstairs in the base lodge, and see what's up.

See you there.
FreshPow
February 28, 2008
Member since 01/2/2008 🔗
174 posts
Here's an attempt at pasting the text from the flyer. Looks a good event.

FOCUS: Whitetail is once again hosting a Tele event for free heelers of all levels. The focus is to congregate Telemark skiers, to ski with some of the best in the East. PSIA Nordic Examiners and Level Three instructors will be on hand to challenge and offer advice to skiers of all levels.

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS*:
0830-0900 Meet and Greet. (Look for signs -Arcade, lower level)
- Fit equipment, Stretch and break into groups based on ability
0900-1200 SKI SKI and SKI, and clinics
After Lunch SKI some more

COST: $75 For the whole day, lesson included.
Whitetail is offering a $48 discounted group lift ticket and a $27 clinic --available at Guest Services Group Sales Desk- inside-NOT at outside ticket window

RENTALS: 1) Whitetail Mountain Sports: Contact Dusty Wissmath for availability and pricing of Tele boots (Scarpa T2's) and ski's (K2's)
(717) 328-9400 dwissmath@skiwhitetail.com

2) DC Ski Center: Have some Tele gear. Call for pricing and availability. http://www.skicenter.com/ 202-966-4474 POC Brian Beaumont

RSVP or questions: Tom Nissel at teletroller@yahoo.com or 540-785-7020.

* All participants must have their own equipment

Disclaimer: This is not a PSIA certified event nor does it have any affiliation with the Whitetail ski school. Several members of the pose do have past and present affiliations with PSIA.
RodSmith
February 28, 2008
318 posts
Thanks, Freshpow!

It's not easy finding a telemark instructor with those qualifications to teach you, and if you do it's going to cost a LOT more than $27.

It's also a rare chance to meet and ski with other local telemarkers. I'm really looking forward to it. \:\)
RodSmith
March 1, 2008
318 posts
Fun in the sun. Shelly Kovacs taught my group, Whitetail partoller Tom and Whitetail instructor Rich taught the beginners and intermediates. Most of the students were in Shelly's group. Tom and Rich managed to join us for a few runs in the bumps in the afternoon.

I skied with Shelly once before in another clinic at Whitetail, four or five years ago, when we were both students. The clincian Daryl Hensley (certainly misspelled,sorry Darrell(?)). One thing I remember from that day was after the clinic finished, Shelly kept skiing with the clinician (I tagged along), working run after run on using the ski's sidecut to make the turn, and not quite getting it. Well, she's got it now. She looks so much like Daryl. So nice. She taught nine skiers, wide range of abilities and had all successfully skiing big bumps by the afternoon!

You can feel your carbon footprint expanding by orders of magnitude when you ski Whitetail's constantly melting snowpack (don't worry, we'll make more!), but it is Oh So Fun. A great ego boost after the harsh reality of Blue Knob last week. I know I'm going to hell for skiing Whitetail's bit of heaven on earth. I think hell is different for each sinner. For me it will be telemarking an endless hill with flames chasing me so I can't stop. It's really painfull for me to link more than twenty turns. Great thing about clinics is getting to stop every couple hundred yards to hear the teacher teach. Long and frequent rests, ahhhh.

Do Teledays next year or be one year older when you do.
RodSmith
March 1, 2008
318 posts
Rich teaches weekends. Hire him. He skis really efficiently and he is really strong, so good luck keeping up unless you hire him. If you hire him, he's obliged to wait. He can teach you to ski efficiently, and probably can tell you how to get strong. Rich is the man at Whitetail.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?