17 posts
9 users
3k+ views
wgo
February 12, 2004
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
Hi,

From Petersburg WV it looks like there are two ways to get to Timberline - either drop
south to Seneca Rocks and then go to Harmon
and follow 32 N, or go north out of Petersburg
using routes 42/93 until you reach davis and then follow 32 S. Which way is faster/flatter?

RyanC
February 12, 2004
Member since 11/28/2003 🔗
160 posts
This leads me to ask a question myself. On the WV maps, it looks like just past Petersburg on 55, there is a road (map shows it as unpaved) that is about 15-20 miles long that connects directly to 32 north of Harmon, about 5 miles S. of T-Line. Is anyone familiar with this route, which looks drastically shorter, and if so, is it okay to go this route in a front-wheel drive car (unless there is a major snow/blizzard of course)? If this shortcut does indeed exist, I would rather go that way then Rt. 50 from Winchester.

As a sidenote, normally I drive to CV from Baltimore, but I have gone directly there from work in DC before, trying the 66-81-55-33-32 way, which I found to be dreadfully long, even with parts of the new road completed, and I've gone the toll rd, and from winchester taken 50-93-32 and found that is MUCH quicker and easier, especially at night.

Redman
February 12, 2004
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
106 posts
The road you are speaking of goes up and over Dolly Sods. It is not plowed and is virtually impassable during the winter. But hey, give it a try and after you finally reach civilization after hiking out 10 miles you can go back in the spring and get you car.
RyanC
February 12, 2004
Member since 11/28/2003 🔗
160 posts
In the summer, when there's no snow, is the Dolly Sods route quicker and better than continuing on 55 to 33? Would I need an SUV type vehicle in the summer to go this route, or would a car do? Thanks for the info. Out of curiosity, during the winter, could an SUV navigate the Dolly Sods route?
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
Redman
February 12, 2004
106 posts
I wouldn't take the road in the summer either unless you want to lose some fillings as the surface is extremely washboarded. I don't thing even a Hummer has a chance in He11!
dmh
February 12, 2004
Member since 12/11/2003 🔗
127 posts
I own a place in CV and have driven from Northern Virginia many, many time. I have not taken 50 for many years so don't know what it is like now. I take the 66-81-55 route. The open segment of Corridor H makes the drive less stressful and cuts mile and time. Generally, the northern route from Petersburg is about 10 minutes shorter although the southern route through Seneca Rocks is more scenic.

I can make it in about 3 hours from Arlington, but driving the speed limit it is more like 3.5 hours. I was stopped for speeding last week, just before reaching the WV line but it is a small price to pay for the natural beauty of CV.

I would highly recommend the Dolly Sods route but never during winter. I have driven it in a SUV and a VW Bug and made it without damage to either although the ground clearance of the SUV made for an easier trip. The road is rough but reasonably well maintained and a stop at the river to swim and refresh is worth the bumps. And you may well see a black bear.

TOMF
February 13, 2004
Member since 11/17/2003 🔗
60 posts
In the last month or so I've noticed more state police presence on Route 55 in Virginia, 5-10 miles before the WV line.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
February 13, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
There's a new barracks building in Moorfield or Baker--one of those towns. That may be why.

I've been pulled over once by the WV State Police when I had skis on the rack. They don't want to discourage ski tourism, so if you are polite and have not exceeded the limits by gross margins, they'll usually let you go with a warning. That's what happened to me.

Hint: when they ask you why they pulled you over. Don't BS them. Say, "I was exceeding the speed limit." They appreciate candor.

gatkinso
February 13, 2004
Member since 01/25/2002 🔗
316 posts
The VSP know that Corridor H is going to attract more speedy minded types to 55 in VA, so there you go.

I simply never speed on those roads in or near town, and I have a good idea of where the traps are in the sticks.

As for the original question I'd like to know how swinging north from Petersburg up Mt Storm works as opposed to dipping down into Seneca Rocks. It seems that it would be about the same or slightly longer. I drove that road lots when I was living in Cumberland - but never to get to the Valley - I'd swing north on 93 (or just take 220).

Whoever mentioned Dayton Carr Rd to PR 19 over Dolly Sods - it is not viable in winter. Even in summer it is much slower (but pretty).

gatkinso
February 13, 2004
316 posts
Hey now we are on to something - Petersburg to CV State Park is 71.9 miles going south via 28/33/32.

Going north 42/93/32 it is 47 miles.

However of you are going to bust that move perhaps think about 10 to 57 to 5 to 3 to 93 out of Moorefield. Sounds complex, but it is more or less the Corridor H proposed alignment I think and it isn't that hard (after the first time).

The northern route is on slower roads - and they may be even worse in bad weather.

(Distance is measured using Microsoft MapPoint measure distance tool - shameless plug but hey I am not a MS employee however that software is really super cool finally a MS product that doesn't let you down).

[This message has been edited by gatkinso (edited 02-13-2004).]

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
February 13, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
"The Dayton Carr Rd to PR 19 over Dolly Sods - it is not viable in winter. Even in summer it is much slower (but pretty)."

Yes! That's really meant to be an eastern access to the Sods and not a thoroughfare to CV. If too many people abuse the road by using it as a shortcut, the gravel road will get more rough (more pot holes and ruts).

PhysicsMan
February 13, 2004
Member since 11/20/2001 🔗
218 posts
DMH said:

> ...I would highly recommend the Dolly Sods route but never
> during winter. I have driven it in a SUV and a VW Bug and
> made it without damage to either although the ground
> clearance of the SUV made for an easier trip. The road
> is rough but reasonably well maintained and a stop at
> the river to swim and refresh is worth the bumps. And you
> may well see a black bear...

Yup, and ...

I haven't been on that particular road in a while, but aren't there gates across it near its two ends (ie, at Laneville just E of Red Creek, and a bit up the hill from Petersberg) that are usually closed from somewhere around mid-November until around mid-April?

In winter, I would strongly advise not to even try to go as far as the gates. The snow can drift to surprising depths up there. We once nearly got mired down in the snow in a high clearance 4wd as we were attempting to drive as far as the gate on similar road up the Sods. This was to be our starting point for a XC ski/snowshoe based winter camping trip on the Sods.

OTOH, with respect to use of this road during the summer, its no problem whatsoever. The vast majority of the cars up on the Sods then are not 4wd. I've even seen a couple of school buses up there. They just go slow to avoid being shaken to bits.

To the other tips, I would add: As you are coming west out of Petersberg on the road to Laneville, you will eventually "T" into another road. You need to make a LHT and go downhill at this intersection to continue to head west and south around the mountain towards Laneville and Canaan V.

OTOH, if you turn right (generally north) at this intersection, you will continue to gain elevation, and you will encounter what I consider to be the very best and most unique parts of the Sods. This north bound dirt road continues for quite a few miles along the very eastern edge of the platteau. At a place called Bear Rocks, it heads steeply back down the hill and intersects with Jordon Run Rd (N-S, paved). If you make a right onto Jordon Run Rd (ie, to the south), you can make a very nice loop trip as it brings you right back to the point you initially started to climb out of Petersberg.

HTH,

Tom / PM

dmh
February 13, 2004
Member since 12/11/2003 🔗
127 posts
Yes indeed, the Sods road is closed in the winter and one should not try to approach the eastern gate during snow season. Even during other times, the road is only for those who don't mind to shake, rattle, and roll. My wife and kids hate it so I can only drive it when alone.

gatkinso--Not to question the all powerful Bill Gates, but the southern route is not 71 miles. From my house in Black Bear it is exactly 50 miles to the stop light and takes, almost always, 60 minutes. The northern route is 44 miles and takes no more than 50 minutes to the stop light. Not sure how MS is calculating 71 miles.

gatkinso
February 13, 2004
316 posts
It got all computered out on me and figured the distance going south on 220 to Franklin, then up 33 to CV.

Adding a waypoint on 28 at Seneca Rocks (which forced it to ignore its preference for bigger roads) yields a more correct figure of 43.1 miles.

Redman
February 13, 2004
106 posts
Nice edit job dcski.com. I think a moped could make it over the Sods in the summer. I'm pretty sure I said a Hummer would have a hard a$$ time in the winter . Thank You (:^O)>>
(Anonymous)
February 15, 2004
This question goes on forever doesn't it?GAT i dont believe that the 42 route verses the 28 route from petersburg is nearly twice as long.The southern route is def the scenic route.The river or stream you follow is clear & at some spots has like an green emerald color to it,or blue in the deep spots.Unless they have fixed the curvy sec of 55 past winchester the VERY BEST WAY is to take 522 north to 127 to 29 which links back with 55. You can roll on this route!~ I have posted this info before with no response.I learned of this route from a family that left beltsville,md for davis,wv every w-kend for years.
(Anonymous)
February 16, 2004
Dulles toll rd to winchester,522 to 127 to 29 to 55 to 93 to davis down 32 to CV....case closed

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.