Where would you recommend/
10 posts
9 users
1k+ views
kwillg6
February 26, 2008
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
I want to go outside of the mid-atlantic during the last week of March and ski for about 4 days if the Mrs is up to it. I am considering all options in NE and out west. Don't know about Canada right now with the dollar tanking out and for that very reason, Europe is out of the question. So.... given the time available and that the two of us are advanced/expert skiers who don't mind new and challenging, what would you suggest for a four day jaunt? In order to keep folks from not suggesting a place, our travel history remains cloaked.
RodSmith
February 26, 2008
Member since 10/22/2004 🔗
318 posts
If you want to ski powder, I'd go Rockies.

Alta in Utah is real nice if you don't want to snowboard. It's relaxed, low key resort. Proximity to Salt Lake City allows you to ski on your travel days if you book an early flight out and late flight back.
skier219
February 26, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
I'm pretty much an Alta convert now, and I think it's worth the $$ to stay onsite at one of their lodges, especially for a short trip.

We considered a VT trip for March, but I still feel the weather is uncertain, despite predictions that March will be cold/snowy. If you can plan a trip on short notice to coincide with good weather, then it's probably a good choice. I like Sugarbush myself, with MRG nearby.
Roger Z
February 26, 2008
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
This is just a La Nina suggestoin- Taos is having a blow-out winter this year, as is Telluride, Crested Butte and Durango. Late March down there this particular year could be phenomenal. Low crowds, incredibly warm sun (when I skied Taos last year in Feb, the high was 30 and I felt like it was 60, the sun is so warm when you get that far south), great snow.

I wouldn't recommend Taos in November, because the snow can be a little hit and miss in NM, but this year was a "hit" and NM is so beautiful it's hard to pass up. Plus, if you're an advanced/expert skier you will definitely stay entertained there for 3-4... years, much less days.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 26, 2008
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
I'm toying with the idea of northern VT or Quebec for same week. My two March experiences with Wildcat NH, once early, once late, were very enjoyable. Unless New England has an exceptional spring I would stay away from anything south of Killington. Even if trail counts are decent, they will likely be in slush mode.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
February 26, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Believe it or not, the Banff Springs Hotel has some amazing deals. It is about the most luxurious ski accomodation you can get outside of the Grand Hotel in St Moritz. Great skiing too.
JohnL
February 26, 2008
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Every year, but especially this year, Utah. For something different, you can try Snowbasin and Powder Mountain.

Roger Z. had an excellent recommendation. I'd also add Wolf Creek. Sssssh. I'd recommend Southern Colorado over Summit County this year.

You can't beat Whistler/Blackcomb. (Maybe too far for only 4 days of skiing plus the weak dollar as you've mentioned.)

Tahoe? Stay in Truckee or Tahoe City.

Why not Mammoth?

For driving, Northern Vermont. (I'll be up there the week before you after I snowy Luau.) Sugarbush, MRG, Stowe, Smugg's, day trip to Jay Peak. Stay somewhere in the Mad River Valley (Waitsfield, Warren or Waterbury.) With the season that Vermont is having, don't bother with NH, Maine, NY or Quebec. Just sayin'.
Roger Z
February 26, 2008
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Wolf Creek? What's that? There's no ski area in Colorado by that name. Go to Taos. \:D
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 26, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I have skied Utah many times in late March and early April, never been disappointed. Watch out for Park City areas, depending on weather, especially in April. Lower elevation makes for possible slush.
Stay at Snowbird or Alta, ski from your door. Take early morning flight and ski the afternoon of arrival, leave around 5:00PM and ski most of day of departure. 30 minutes +/- from airport, can't be beat.
The Colonel \:\)
nakedskier
February 28, 2008
Member since 02/3/2005 🔗
93 posts
 Originally Posted By: Roger Z
Wolf Creek? What's that? There's no ski area in Colorado by that name. Go to Taos. \:D

I'd reccomend anything in southern Colorado anytime! Not just this year. Last year, they were hit. The year before that, they were hit. I haven't been to Wolf Creek yet but I keep tabs on them through skireport.com and it's by far, the deepest snow in CO (aside from maybe Silverton, but that's still in southern CO!!)

I was just at Taos last week. It was good, real good in fact. However, it was starting to melt. If they don't get some white stuff soon, it will start to suffer. And I believe their last weekend is the first weekend in April. Not that it would hurt your trip. And you have to be in amazing shape to get the good stuff. Lots of hiking the ridge to find the steep and deep. It's worth it though.

By the looks of it, NE might be the place to be in March. Smuggs just got 12 inches!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?