Hidden Valley Spring Carnival 3/8-3/9
20 posts
11 users
13k+ views
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
February 25, 2008
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
In the Laurel Mountain Breaking News thread in the Local Resort Forum gizmosnow suggested we get together at Hidden Valley during their Spring Carnival on March 8-9. I've yet to get to Hidden Valley so I think this would be a great way to reintroduce myself to the resort. You don't have to be a Laurel Mountain booster to attend. I would like to vote with my money to encourage competition in the Laurel Highlands.

I'm in for one of those days, probably Sunday. Who else can make it?
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
February 25, 2008
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
I usually head up every other weekend. I was at HV for the entire week last week, so it looks good for for the 8th. My cheap ski vacation this year was the good ole Mid-Atlantic. Skied Wisp, Seven Springs and HV. On Wednesday, 2/20, we received 8" of the sweetest powder snow that I have ever skied in here in the MA.
If you haven't been to HV in a long time, don't expect major challenge. It's a family ski area and until they add the new trails, challenge is still lacking. But I make my own challenge and have fun anyway.
I was amazed at the number of skiers that I spoke to at 7Springs who never skied anywhere else!! Some had never heard of Timberline?? They were very curious about Wisp. Boy, they have some parochial skiers there!!
Bring on Laurel Mountain!!!!!!!!!
snosnugums
February 25, 2008
Member since 04/10/2006 🔗
126 posts
I think this is a great idea. The Buncher's deserve alot of credit for the efforts that they have put forth to revitalize HV. Their master plan fits the family atmosphere of the resort. And if I remember correctly, one of the Buncher folks was quoted as saying the they looked at reopening LM as public service.
Seven Springs does enough business.They do not need LM. HV on the other hand could use the extra ski capacity if they do indeed develop the undeveloped land to the degree shown in the master plan for the resort. This would make HV very crowded. However, if they can distribute some skiers to LM, they can manage the crowds. There is also developable land at LM. Perhaps Buncher is also interested in that prospect.
Scott - DCSki Editor
February 25, 2008
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Here is a press release from Hidden Valley describing the upcoming Spring Carnival:

Quote:
Hidden Valley to Host First Annual Spring Carnival
Join us for two fun-filled days on and off the slopes

Hidden Valley, PA - The end of winter may be near but festivities at Hidden Valley Four Seasons Resort are just getting started. Don't miss the resort's first spring carnival under new ownership on Saturday and Sunday, March 8 and 9. The event promises two fun-filled days and plenty of free activities. Whether you ski, snowboard or simply want to enjoy a day with family and friends, there is something for everyone from toddlers to grandparents.

Daring guests will have the opportunity to dazzle spectators and win prizes in our on-snow activities. Hidden Valley's Wild Moose Challenge, an obstacle course, will be available for attendees of all ages who want to test their skills. The sports of kayaking and white water rafting will be brought to the slopes of Hidden Valley by Wilderness Voyagers. Participants will have a chance to try these sports on snow in anticipation of summer and will be entered to win a four-person rafting trip to Ohiopyle, courtesy of Wilderness Voyageurs. Snowboarders have a chance to show off their skills in a terrain box competition. The first place winners in three categories will receive a new O-Matic Snowboard. Golfers, start your season off at Hidden Valley with our snow golf hole. Each contestant has three tries to get a hole in one from our tee box. Successful contestants can win a round of golf, from opening day to May 23, 2008, at Hidden Valley's golf course.

Have your whole crew sign up for these and other events which include Captain Jack's Four Person Crew Challenge, Skier / Boarder Cross, snow volleyball or a good, old-fashioned game of tug-of-war to compete for Hidden Valley treasures. Event registration starts at 9 a.m. outside the customer service office in the ski lodge. There are no entrance fees; however, lift tickets are required for on-slope events.

Off-slope festivities include live chainsaw and wood carving demonstrations by Jeff Penney and local artists, free airbrush tattoos and caricature drawings, complimentary chair massages, a magician, an appearance by the Hidden Valley mascot, our lovable moose, and more! Sheri Van Dyke of WWSW will spin tunes and announce the winner of our grand prize drawing of a family season pass for up to four dependent family members for next season. Lexus of North Hills will award prizes including a 2008/09 season pass and gift certificates for the Hidden Valley Ski and Snowboard Shop.

No one will go hungry. Food vendors such as Snyder of Berlin, Pepsi, and various other novelty vendors will be on site to provide samples of your favorite carnival treats, in addition to the Hidden Valley eateries being open. There will also be an outdoor grill open for this event serving sausage and kielbasa.

For a complete list of activities for the spring carnival, visit http://www.MyHiddenValleyResort.com or call 1-814-443-8000. The resort hours are from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Hidden Valley Four Seasons Resort is located at 1 Craighead Drive, Hidden Valley, PA 15502. Parking is free.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
hockeydave
February 26, 2008
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
Sounds like a great way to support Buncher and thank them for getting Laurel Mountain back on the radar and revitalizing HV. Either day works for me.
zooman
February 27, 2008
Member since 01/21/2008 🔗
24 posts
Interesting comment by snowsmith regarding 7springs patrons and their reluctance to try a neighboring hill.A few years ago,when Laurel was open,I remember asking some ss skiers if they had been over to Laurel Mt. and the answer was always no and they never gave a reason why. Back to this topic...If the conditions hold up,I`ll do a day at HV. Gerard
hockeydave
February 27, 2008
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
Chalk this behavior up to an ingrained Western PA mindset. It is instilled at a very young age that change, any change, is EVIL... I'm guilty as charged.

On topic, it would be great to get a plethora of people up there that weekend who want to see Laurel open. Someone pick a time and place (preferably where alcohol is served) to meet.
Leo
February 27, 2008
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
356 posts
Well folks, as wonderful of a job as Buncher has done (I have been there almost every weekend thanking them)...I regret to report that on their Spring Carnival weekend, I will be airborne -- bound for the Sierra Nevadas. I know, I know. It's terrible. I almost canceled my trip, b/c I really think we might see a long awaited appearance by the Oscar Meyer Weiner Mobile (some of you, I am sure, know what I am talking about).

At any rate, I am sad that I won't get to make some runs with some of the posters who, no doubt, helped bring about the changes at HV. Hopefully they will be able to stay open well into March and I can get in some post-Tahoe weekends back home.

Buncher really has done a great job in the 5 months they have owned the place. For those who haven't been yet this season, you will be pleasantly surprised.
February 27, 2008
1,576 posts
Saturday, 4:00 PM at Glacier's Pub. Be there!
Of course, how will know each other????
imp - DCSki Supporter 
February 28, 2008
Member since 01/11/2007 🔗
299 posts
Dig Thru the closet and find an old Laurel Logo Item
Vests hats and pins
wave your Mad River ski key it counts.

6 in fresh on the crust lower rules

imp
February 28, 2008
2,038 posts
Hey imp, glad to see you're on board with this. Contact all the old Laurel crowd you can. So sorry I haven't been out to see you yet. I've only been out 4 times locally, been that kind of season but the best as conditions have been the last month or so. I'll buy you a beer if your off duty. I assume you're wearing the ski patrol jacket.
gizmosnow
March 3, 2008
Member since 10/6/2005 🔗
269 posts
JUst got back from extended business trip...thank you, LHC, for passing on the suggestion. If I don't have to work this weekend, will be there.

My wife just pointed out to me that HV has announced 08/09 season passes on sale (on their website) and if you buy now can ski remainder of this season for free. So, anyone coming out this weekend without a season pass and seriously interested in season pass for next year may be interested. Just want to pass along this info.
March 3, 2008
1,576 posts
Imagine that! The previous resort owner didn't have the season pass information posted untill September! What a breath of fresh air!

And if you buy a season pass before the end of March, you get another 10% off making the pass price $270. Now that's a bargain.
Crush
March 3, 2008
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
.. rats ... i'll be in secacus nj for a star trek convention. i would have loved to go ... oh well....
March 3, 2008
2,038 posts
How about some suggestions for a meeting spot and time for those coming up to ski. I suggest we meet at 9:00AM and a later meet up time say 1:00PM for late arrivals. We could also PM cell phone numbers to facilitate meeting up.

OK folks, where do we meet to ski?

I'm still good for meeting at Glacier's Pub at 4:00 too.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 3, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Make sure you plan on having meeting places for both weekend days. I might be able to get up for Sunday, grandkids birthday celebrations on Sat.
Last year at the Snowy Luau I made very large lime green signboards which read: DCSKiers Meet Here at 10:00 and 1:30. The signs were attached to stakes that I placed in the snow just to the right of the top lift, a spot we had agreed to meet.
The signs drew about 8 DCSkiers who skied together a good bit of both days. A wonderful time. The signs served as a very visible reminder of previous DCSki posting leading up to Snowy Luau.
The Colonel \:\)
snosnugums
March 4, 2008
Member since 04/10/2006 🔗
126 posts
How about placing a sign near the steps adjacent to Glaciers Pub. The sign could say " Laurel Mountain and Hidden Valley, a wining combination". Or less controversial, meet at the steps at 1:00 PM and Glaciers at 4:00 PM. The DC SKI sign sounded good.
March 5, 2008
2,038 posts
I'm going to make up on Saturday for the 4:00 meeting in the Glaciers Pub, I've got other family commitments on Saturday. I plan to be there skiing with my family on Sunday.

Will somebody take responsibility to pick a spot and make a sign for folks meeting to ski on Saturday?

I think it should just be a simple DCSki sign.
March 9, 2008
2,038 posts
My apologies to anybody looking for me at Glaciers Pub on Saturday. The snow storm moved in at the same time I was to leave. I thought better of driving an hour and a half to meet for a few drinks then drive back. I did drop by and have a lager on Sunday. I spied no DCSki people there but I did run into quite a few Laurel transplants including imp. It was nice to see some of my old ski school colleagues.

I made the trip with my 2 kids and we spent the day playing follow the leader on Hidden Valley's most difficult terrain. We even poached some powder under the double chair on the Valley side and under the quad on the North Summit. We three got a kick out of the loading system for the quad. My son was hoping there would be another for unloading. Snow coverage was excellent but on the hard side due to the warm temps during the week.

The lodge was bright and fresh in stark contrast to what I remember from my last visit over ten years ago. I can only imagine what it was like in recent years. Kudos to the Buncher Company on their outstanding work to date. My experience only reinforced my hope that they are awarded the lease to Laurel. It would be a great compliment to the terrain at Laurel. This combination would give Seven Springs some real competitions for a change.

I wish we could have organized a real DCSki event. I just didn't have the time to get it together. Chasing a bunch of folks around the hill would be great fun.
March 10, 2008
1,576 posts
I showed up at 4:00 PM in Glacier's Pub, but I couldn't find anyone from DC SKI. I even hung a sign on the wall at the end of the bar and asked the guy singing/playing guitar to make an announcement...still not DC SKIer's.
Saturday started out with me watching the Weather Channel and snow piling up just 75 miles west of HV....AAAAHHHHHH!!!! It was unbelievably foggy at HV when I finally went to the base area to join the festivities. About 1:15 PM I was complaining to a ski shop employee about the weather. About 1:20PM it started snowing and within an hour and a half we had blizzard conditions.
Sunday, the snow conditions were pretty good.
I noticed that the web site says that snow tubing is closed for the season. So much for using my free pass. I wonder why it closed so early.
I was told by the ski shop owner that the resort plans on keeping the slopes open until the second week of April, weather permitting.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?