New member in MD
9 posts
6 users
2k+ views
pimp-on-ski's
February 25, 2008
Member since 02/24/2008 🔗
5 posts
So I am basically new to skiing.. Just came back from Canaan Valley resort and I was not impressed. Was I expecting too much or what? I decided to join my brother in his quest to conquer Snowboarding and snowboarding conquered him with a broken wrist in 2 places! I on the other hand had a bunch of bruises. Maybe next time I might just stick to skiing and not snowboarding. What do you all think? Should I give snowboarding another chance? I was told it takes a while to pick it up. Please give me some input.. Any help?
kwillg6
February 25, 2008
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Welcome to the board! I tried the dark side, once. I've remained a skier because of what you experienced. No broken bones but I couldn't get a lot of enjoyment out of it. This past weekend was a poor representation of what the vallley has to offer. The weather bombed and our experiences at t-line on Saturday was in a word, interesting. Canaan Valley resort is operated by a company who doesn't run ski areas. It's sad but true. The folks who run it don't even like cold weather. Their contract is up at the end of this year and hopefully the valley's most influential new property owner ( WV's govenor) will have a say in getting a decent management company in there. I'd e-mail his office and let them know what your experiences were.
snowglobe
February 25, 2008
Member since 03/12/2007 🔗
150 posts
Well, people say that the learning curve for snowboarding is steeper at the beginning but once you got past that point, it 's a breeze and it 's so much fun. Most people need 3-4 times to really start to have fun snowboarding. My first time was really painful, the second time got much better but still painful, I remembered starting to really enjoy it on the third time. Skiing is easier to start but more difficult to become an expert I think.

I learned to ski three years ago and really like it but then I tried snowboarding and rarely go skiing anymore. I still like both actually. To me skiing is more practical and if I go to Whitegrass, I 'd probably have to ski. No matter what you end up doing, winter sports is so much fun!

Give the dark side another try! =)
David
February 25, 2008
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
 Originally Posted By: pimp-on-ski's
What do you all think? Should I give snowboarding another chance?.. Any help?

Why would anyone want to snowboard if they were a "Pimp on skis" ???
pimp-on-ski's
February 25, 2008
5 posts
Yeah... Saturday Canaan was awfull. A lot of slush everywhere. Even thier instructor told me it was the worst he has ever seen it. As for Timberline Sunday morning. It looked great. I did not go on that basically to just watch over my brother. Good thing they gave me a ski pass good for only 1 yr. being that we had the Ski the Valley Package and only used it one day. I did not know snowboarding was called the dadrkside.. Lol. I am new to this so cut me some slack. But yes, I will try it again. Hopefully next time it will be less painfull. One other thing. While at Timberline I was not able to see the Condos. Are they nice and kept up?
pimp-on-ski's
February 25, 2008
5 posts
Lol... Because Ski's were my first love.. But then again. The dark side could be calling....
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 25, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
pimp-on-ski's,
Welcome to DCSki. Inquiring minds want to know: how did you come up with that moniker?
I must admit some confusion reading your posts: are you also a beginning skier? I have skied 38 years (did not start until 28) and have tried to snowboard once at Snowbird in Utah...on the Chickadee Slope. I figured it would be a snap...wrong. Many falls later I got to the bottom. Was I "goofy" I was asked? HUH?!! Oh, my foot position! It certainly was not easy. I really admire a great snowboarder who can carve real turns high on edge coming down the mountail...beautiful. Unfortunately, many can't and end up snowplowing all the surface in the middle of the trail to the bottom. Some day I might give it another chance. All my kids learned to ski at about age 3-4, and all snowboard now, although my daughter mostly skis.
Like others have said, just enjoy the winter outdoors. One thing I really like about skiing is that for each of us it is an equalizer, although the beginners have trouble seeing this. Whether you are a beginner on a green cliff, a skier trying a blue cliff for the first time, or an experienced skier trying a double diamond cliff, the excitment, fear, etc. is the same.
Welcome to DCSki.
The Colonel \:\)
pimp-on-ski's
February 26, 2008
5 posts
Yes I am a beginning skier. Very new at it. I am 28yrs old and Just started in 2006 towards the end of that year. I just jumped into it after a friend recommended it and since then every time I get a chance I am there. I am still on my green circle slopes but eventually hope to move on and one day be on those double diamonds slopes. How I got my moniker?? I was under the influence of jagermeister and other fine liquids at the time and it's what came to mind. \:\) Thanks for the welcoming !
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
February 26, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Have you taken lessons? My cousins are your age and I gave them a Christmas present consisting of two days of private lessons. The second day they were doing easy blues, by the end of the week they were on the blacks. On the other hand, I've had a tough time getting rid of bad habits I accumulated over the last 38 years of skiing... So in my trips to Whistler, I make it a habit of spending one day each year with a private instructor doing just that...

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?