12 posts
3 users
3k+ views
MangyMarmot
February 22, 2008
Member since 12/25/2002 🔗
183 posts
Just arrived in Tahoe. Just read this:

WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM SATURDAY TO 10 PM PST SUNDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RENO HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM SATURDAY TO 10 PM PST SUNDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

A SIGNIFICANT STORM WILL MOVE INTO THE NORTHERN SIERRA SATURDAY AFTERNOON. SNOW LEVELS WITH THIS STORM ARE EXPECTED TO RISE TO NEAR 7000 FEET SATURDAY AFTERNOON AND EARLY EVENING... WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR A PERIOD OF HEAVY RAIN AT LAKE LEVEL BEFORE SNOW LEVELS FALL BELOW 6000 FEET SATURDAY EVENING.

BY SUNDAY EVENING...TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS WILL BE AROUND 1 FOOT AT LAKE LEVEL WITH 2 TO 3 FEET OF SNOW EXPECTED ABOVE 7000 FEET.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
February 22, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Yeah, yeah.... La Niña at work... She's a Western gal, you know... But next year we'll have "El Sobrino" or better yet, "La Abuela" and Tahoe will dry up and we'll have mountains of snow in the Appalachians.
MangyMarmot
February 23, 2008
183 posts
Fabulous! I may even return home by then.

Just had a pizza at the Tahoe Pizza Company. It's actually not so bad. The place was jammed with people and it's quite far away from any resort.

We scored a $77 room at the Best Western Timber Cove. It's farther away from Heavenly than the other Best Western. Seems like a decent deal.

I'll file some trip reports a bit later. How would I upload pictures or video?

mm
SkiBumMSP
February 23, 2008
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
That's okay, because during the entire time I was at Steamboat two weeks ago, it snowed a total of 53 or so inches just during that week! Thus, I definitely got my satisfaction of getting to ski some truly epic conditions (nothing like crashing through chest deep powder!) Glad to hear that you are getting some good conditions out there!
MangyMarmot
February 23, 2008
183 posts
Coming down like mad. We just skied half day. Tomorrow's my birthday and don't want to be too burned out to enjoy the freshies.

I accumulated mebbe 2 inches of snow on me during one ride up Heavenly's Comet express.

We did a lot of tree skiing on the Nevada side. Lots of virgin snow.

Planning to hit Squaw on Monday.

mm
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
February 23, 2008
1,535 posts
Well... meanwhile out East...

Snowshoe: Skied on frozen granular. Good base though... Skiing was good.

All day today, fog and freezing drizzle. Right now at 2230, the temp is 18 degrees and still freezing drizzle.
MangyMarmot
February 23, 2008
183 posts
It's like Christmas Eve here.

Can't see anything outside in driving snow. I'll probably wake up at 4am wanting to go out in this.

Thinking of demo-ing some fat skis. I have K2 Axis Pros that don't seem to really like deep new powder. Never skied fat skis before, so am unsure if I should stick with what I know or try em out.

The ones the dude showed me at the shop seemed AWFUL long though.

mm
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
February 24, 2008
1,535 posts
Clear in a million at Snowshoe. Groomers did a great job... Now I've got to get ready for the trek back to DC...

Next year is our turn.
MangyMarmot
February 24, 2008
183 posts
Incredible day today. Skied mainly the trees here at Heavenly.
2-3 feet of fresh powder. I demo'ed some Salomon twin tips.
Not sure I liked em.
I haven't timed a trip to hit the freshies like this before. Man the powder burns up the legs.
The Pines run off the Olympic Express was awesome. Tons of powder and trees spaced enough to avoid collisions.

Been listening to the avalanche guns all day, Kinda cool.

Why do people love to all stop and adjust all their gear in a big group across the entire trail?

Still snowing now. Can't decide whether to try north lake tomorrow if the weather permits.

And, I too hope the mid-Atlantic gets a ton of snow next season.

mm
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
February 26, 2008
1,535 posts
OK, our turn... How about this?

/O.CON.KRLX.HS.W.0001.080227T0000Z- 080228T0900Z/ WEBSTER-POCAHONTAS- RANDOLPH- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF... WEBSTER SPRINGS...MARLINTON...ELKINS 348 PM EST TUE FEB 26 2008

...HEAVY SNOW WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 4 AM EST THURSDAY...

A HEAVY SNOW WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 4 AM EST THURSDAY.

A COLD NORTHWEST FLOW WILL YIELD A PROLONGED PERIOD OF UPSLOPE SNOW SHOWERS THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT. TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 4 TO 8 INCHES ARE FORECAST WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS ON THE RIDGES. GUSTY WINDS IN THE 30 MPH RANGE WILL RESULT IN BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW.

A HEAVY SNOW WARNING MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN AN EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST...KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT...FOOD...AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.

PLEASE REPORT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BY CALLING TOLL FREE...877-633-6772.
MangyMarmot
February 27, 2008
183 posts
oo.. oo what happened?
I get back to DC on Monday.
Any chance of skiing between march 6-9?

mm
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
February 27, 2008
1,535 posts
So far so good... Get your winter pelt on, Mr Marmot... there's skiing to be done. So far..

/O.CON.KRLX.HS.W.0001.000000T0000Z- 080228T0900Z/ WEBSTER-POCAHONTAS- RANDOLPH- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF... WEBSTER SPRINGS...MARLINTON...ELKINS 637 PM EST WED FEB 27 2008

...HEAVY SNOW WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 AM EST THURSDAY...

A HEAVY SNOW WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 AM EST THURSDAY.

A COLD AND MOIST NORTHWEST FLOW WILL YIELD A PROLONGED PERIOD OF UPSLOPE SNOW SHOWERS THROUGH TONIGHT. STORM TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 12 INCHES ARE FORECAST...WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS ON THE RIDGES. GUSTY WINDS IN THE 30 MPH RANGE WILL RESULT IN BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW.

A HEAVY SNOW WARNING MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN AN EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST...KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT...FOOD...AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?