Laurel Mt. and Seven Springs Riders and Friends
6 posts
5 users
2k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 22, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Did anyone else notice this paragraph in Iwan Fuchs writeup about horizontal skiing.
"Of course there is some room to improve for Seven Springs Mountain Resort, especially since the possibility of Western expansion is floating around; new beginner learning lanes, and a new electronic system for the winter business. The new RF (radio frequency) system is used currently at 95% of Swiss Ski Resorts and about four Rocky Mountain resorts, which are compatible with a Swatch wrist watch pass".

Relative supposedly new interest in Laurel Mt. by Seven Springs management, I would guess that if the Western expansion is really on the near term drawing board, then the Springs would probably not be interested in running Laurel.
The Colonel \:\)
"Skis get old, skiers never do"
skibum
February 23, 2008
Member since 12/3/2007 🔗
79 posts
the springs is interested in running Laurel.7 springs has a bid on the table to run laurel next year along with buncher (hidden vally)the state is looking at both bids and will make a decision by spring skibum
SpringsRegular
February 29, 2008
Member since 10/14/2004 🔗
153 posts
The Western Expansion is still in negotiations of a small tract of state land. It would actually make the vertical close to 1000 feet I think.
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
February 29, 2008
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
1000 vertical???? Topo map of Seven Springs showing state park land will sever up about 700 vertical but I thought the Western Expansion was dropping off of Lost Girl down Spook Hill on the other side of the ridge. Dropping out there you may get close to 900 vertical but there's still that big flat section between 2600 and 2500 elevation. There's no state land there.

I think 7S wants the state land for condos, not ski trails.
tromano
February 29, 2008
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
There is alot of territory on that western aspect. If you follow the MTB race loop in the summer you can find alot of terrain back in there.
SpringsRegular
March 11, 2008
Member since 10/14/2004 🔗
153 posts
LHC,

From what I understand the state land is near the bottom. I am not sure specifically where it is.

As I stated I "think" it would get us close to 1000 as it actually goes below where the current Gunnar lift loads. 900 is close to a 1000 :-)

Don't forget they added 7 feet this year when they created the mound for the top of the Gunnar lift ;-)

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?