XTraining - Rock Climbing - Ovarian Cancer Benefit
4 posts
2 users
1k+ views
Eug
February 21, 2008
Member since 03/3/2005 🔗
142 posts
If anybody is interested in trying (indoor) rock climbing, March is the month to do it.

I think rock climbing is a great x-training sport for skiing. When climbing correctly, you use your legs quite a bit. There are lots of high stepping and 'stair-master' type motions. You develop your arms, shoulders and back. It also strengthens your core and is truly a full body workout.

See the message pasted below. It explains the numbers and dollars on why March is the month to try rock climbing. Most importantly, by registering to this event, you get to make a full tax deductible donation towards Ovarian Cancer Research at Johns Hopkins.

This is the deal. For a low fee of $30, you register for the Climb4Life event that runs for the whole month of March. By registering (more like a donation) you get a 'punch card' that allows you to climb 6 times at the SportRock climbing gyms in VA and 6 times a the Earth Treks climbing gyms in MD. This includes all rental gear (climbing shoes and harness). To put into perspective, the daily entrance fee at SportRock is $18, rental gear is another $7 for a total of $25 per visit. Fees are a little higher at Earth Treks. So you are getting at least $300 worth of climbing fees.

This registration fee also includes a climbing goody bag for each participant. In the goody bag you will find a climbing related item that usually retails for $15 and other stuff. The first year, the goody bag had a chalk bag and the second year it had a Petzl locking carabiner in addition to other stuff. This is the 3rd year of this event so who knows what is going to be in the goody bag...

The first day events on March 1st at the Sterling SportRock includes raffles, all kinds of free goodies and free climbing lessons or workshops. These workshops cover everything from how to climb, belay (rope handling somebody on the wall), knots, safety, etc.

So you get all of this for only $30 and to put it plainly, THIS IS A GREAT DEAL.

Most importantly, you are also making a donation to the Ovarian Cancer Benefit Fundraiser. 85% of the monies raised during this event goes directly to John Hopkins for research. Last year, our team raised $550 and the total raised in the Wash DC area was over $40,000. This funded 2 research programs at Hopkins.

If you do not wish to climb, you are more than welcome to make donation to anybody on our team. See link below for 'Team Eyes In The Sky' and click on any of the LEEs.

Please feel free to pass this along to anybody else that might be interested.

Information about this event -> http://www.heraclimb4lifedc08.kintera.or...366BEC8BC5D3636

Information about Team Eyes In The Sky (our team) and how to join or make a donation -> http://www.heraclimb4lifedc08.kintera.org/eyesinthesky

Information about SportRock Climbing Gyms -> http://www.sportrock.com/

Please let me know if you have any questions. I will be more than glad to answer them and/or help you out.

Thank You!
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 21, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Let me see if I have this straight: I spend my entire skiing winter trying not to hit a rock and now you want me to hug one when there is still snow on the slopes?
The Colonel \:\)
Eug
February 22, 2008
Member since 03/3/2005 🔗
142 posts
 Originally Posted By: The Colonel
Let me see if I have this straight: I spend my entire skiing winter trying not to hit a rock and now you want me to hug one when there is still snow on the slopes?
The Colonel \:\)

Colonel,

"I only want what's best for you..." :-)

The Ovarian Cancer Benefit Fundraiser is hosted by the local climbing gyms in the area, SportRock (in VA) and Earth Treks (in MD). The climbing that you will be doing, will be done indoors where the floor is padded, no loose rocks and no out control skiers/boarders anywhere near you. It is pretty safe and fun.

There is one SportRock near you, right off the Van Dorn Beltway exit, on Eisenhower St. next to the Van Dorn metro. The other SportRock is in Sterling. The Earth Treks are in Rockville, Columbia and Timonium. If you want to, you could stop by sometime at SportRock and check it out.

The $30 registration fee also qualifies as a tax deductible donation and you will be helping the fight against Ovarian Cancer.

Last year my team raised $550 and this year, with a 5 weeks to go, we have raised almost $2000 and who knows what the total will be. I am hoping a lot more.

The links, in the first post above, have all of the information about this event and this is a great and inexpensive way to check out a new sport/activity.

Think about how strong your upper body and legs are going to get from climbing and how it is going to make you into a stronger skier, of course, YMMV... :-)

Please let me know if anybody has any questions and/or is interested.

PS. This event is sponsored nationally by REI, Black Diamond Equipment, Patagonia, The North Face and many other outdoor related companies.
Eug
February 28, 2008
Member since 03/3/2005 🔗
142 posts
Hey. I can't believe nobody in this group has a slight interest in rock climbing. Nobody?

We are all adventurous, thrill seeking types. What's the deal?

The first day events is on this Sat March 1st and you can learn how to belay, climb, etc, etc, and with the punch card, you can climb at your own pace at anytime until March 29th.

In all seriousness, if anybody in interested, please let me know.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?