Top 10 Symptons of Skiing/Boarding Addiction
24 posts
14 users
3k+ views
JohnL
February 11, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
1) You have owned at least one ski-related vanity license plate.
2) You have taken a course in Meteorology just to help you predict where the powder dumps will occur.
3) Your equipment is worth more than your car. And you treat it better than your car.
4) You tend to break up with significant others just before the winter months.
5) You actually watch "Hot Dog, ... the Movie" for more than Shannon Tweed.
6) You have skied down a DC-area street on alpine gear before the plows arrived. You've then cursed the plows when they've arrived.
7) You keep your gear bag packed year round, just in case.
8) You explain to children under your tutelage that skipping school or work is very, very wrong. Unless it's a powder day.
9) You own copies of "Hot Dog, .. the Movie" and "The Blizzard of Aahhh's" and their future is determined in your will.
10) You consider racoon eyes during the winter a badge of honor, not a tanning problem.

Edit: wish I could spell symptom!

[This message has been edited by JohnL (edited 02-11-2004).]

jimmer
February 12, 2004
Member since 11/25/2003 🔗
53 posts
good one. Although I've never skied in DC - only on my local streets.
Roger Z
February 12, 2004
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
JohnL, you have a serious addiction to lists. I've skied down my front yard in the rain in PG County once, does that count? Regarding vehicles, there might be a corrolary: 3a) you buy a 4wd vehicle you can't afford specifically so you can drive to ski resorts when blizzards strike.
(Anonymous)
February 12, 2004
I've been towed down the street on skis by a Jeep, and I've semi-seriously considered buying a snowgun setup to put on my deck...the wife was ready to commit me over that thought....
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
NCskier
February 12, 2004
Member since 12/12/2003 🔗
30 posts
I was close to trying to make my own snow with my dad's air compressor and a garden hose, but my parents wouldn't let me because of water bills. That's the best I can come to skiing on street since it dosen't snow all that much in ATL.
(Anonymous)
February 12, 2004
What if you look at any mountain, hill, or just pile of dirt, and think how sweet it would be to ride it if there was some snow?
canaanman
February 12, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
<<10) You consider racoon eyes during the winter a badge of honor, not a tanning problem.>>

Hey... on Hood not having one is considerd faux pas. In the spring/summer it looks like you've returned from the beach when you go out there.

KevR
February 13, 2004
Member since 01/27/2004 🔗
786 posts
I actually recall once trying to ski down the steps inside my parents house. Now I know that I didn't actually go to the top of the stairs, but somewhere closer to the bottom. And I'm not sure precisely how I hoisted myself up with the skis on. But what I do recall is the tremendous yard-sale at the bottom and my friend's nearly incoherent laughter at the result.... Well I was in college after all... KIDS DO NOT try this at home!
Roy
February 14, 2004
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
I actually just received my first copy of (and watched) the Blizzard of Ahhhhhhs 2 weeks ago. It lives up to all the hype and beats any ski movie I've ever seen (they just don't make 'em like they used to).

I have contacted my lawyer.

twin58
February 14, 2004
Member since 04/1/2000 🔗
198 posts
-----
1) You have owned at least one ski-related vanity license plate.
-----

True. I bought it at a thrift store, though. North Carolina plate "SKI BUM".

-----
3) Your equipment is worth more than your car.
-----

Yeah, but that's not saying much.

-----
6) You have skied down a DC-area street on alpine gear before the plows arrived. You've then cursed the plows when they've arrived.
-----

Most lately, last year, but on Nordic skis. And I was disappointed to see the plows ruin everything.

-----
7) You keep your gear bag packed year round, just in case.
-----

Yep.

[This message has been edited by twin58 (edited 02-15-2004).]

bawalker
February 14, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Where do i find blizzard of aaahhhs? Netflix doesn't have it.
(Anonymous)
February 15, 2004
When you have just skied for a week at vail-beavercreek & you are allready thinking about sking sugar mtn,NC next week!!
NCskier
February 15, 2004
30 posts
When it feels like it is the end of summer and you haven't skied for 9 months, but you just skied the day before.

During summer: all you do is dream about snow, watch ski movies, Read old ski magazines, and Experiment with ways to ski in your bakyard, ie: astroturf, the orange snow fences, and other stuff.

Roy
February 16, 2004
609 posts
http://store.yahoo.com/snowshack/skierguidtog.html

bawalker, this is where I got my copy. I couldn't buy Blizzard of Ahhh's by itself and I had to buy 2 additional Greg Stump movies (Groove and License to Thrill). Not bad for $30 though.

Also, I requested the cheapest method for shipping which they said was 6-10 days (or something like that). I got it in 2 days.

JohnL
February 16, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Roy,

Even though he was skiing on outdated equipment (by today's standards), I don't think I've ever seen a more graceful skier than Scott Schmidt.

Best line from Groove:
We waited out a late spring snowstorm at the Tsana Lodge, and then got the nugget we were looking for: total freedom, fresh powder and a helicopter with a great stereo.

Nice go-go dancing by Ace (Stump's SO) during the closing credits.

JohnL
February 16, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Roger sez:
JohnL, you have a serious addiction to lists.

Best way to jump start a discussion.

Also fun to see which items get momentum behind them.

Roy
February 17, 2004
609 posts
John,

I have not watched Groove all the way through yet. I've actually watched Blizzard about 3 times and only made it halfway through Groove (I couldn't convince the wife to watch it with me).

That does sound like a great line though. I'll be on the lookout for it.

snowbird
March 1, 2004
Member since 02/28/2004 🔗
51 posts
or you cold be like me and take your snowboard to the beach and chill with it down on the beach. i also have a vanity plate that says frshpwdr. so im always thinkning about snow and when the next dump will be. another way you can tell is if you watch the weather channel starting at the end of october so you know when the resorts can start making snow. and you are one of the first few people out on the first day of the season no matter what the conditions are. i have also snowboarded down my street in the middle of the summer being towed behind a bike. it was super sketcy but i got to board on a 90+ degree day.
NCskier
March 1, 2004
30 posts
Living in ATL, you could just try to plan every possible ski trip. Right now, my family is in the process of planning our annual vacation, and I'm doing everything in my power to go to Colorado so I can ski at A-Basin. If that dosen't work, I'll try to convince them to go to Timberline, or climb Mt. Shasta and let me ski down.

NCskier
March 1, 2004
30 posts
Living in ATL, you could just try to plan every possible ski trip. Right now, my family is in the process of planning our annual vacation, and I'm doing everything in my power to go to Colorado so I can ski at A-Basin. If that dosen't work, I'll try to convince them to go to Timberline, or climb Mt. Shasta and let me ski down.

NCskier
March 1, 2004
30 posts

Crush
March 1, 2004
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
Dude!
OK like I also own the DVD for Aspen Extreme ..

I've taken my skis to the Washington Monument in that mid-90's big dump and skied down that bump .... and Nordic skied as well ...

I jammed 5 pairs of skis in a 450 sq. foot studio and waxed them in my kitchen.

OK and the topper is I sold my apt. in DC and moved to Park City .... to ski almost every day!

wgo
March 2, 2004
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
You check out the DCSki message forum every five minutes.

You don't remember the plot to any movie in which a mountain is visable because you were
concentrating on picking out lines.

jimmy
March 3, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
You spend your summer months checking snow reports for the southern hemisphere.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?