How Many Days/Where Have You Skied To Date 2/19?
42 posts
21 users
16k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 18, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I am going to try to include two polls with this posting:
1- How many days have you hit the slopes this season to date: 2/18/08.
2- At what resorts have you skied this season to date: 2/18/08.
I'll freeze results as of 2/25/08, and later have another poll to get DCSkiers totals for the 2007-2008 winter, then compare the results.
The Colonel \:\)
JohnL
February 18, 2008
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Lucky number 13 for me; not bad since I only had 3 days on the slopes before February 1st. Wish I had gotten more local days in December and January. It certainly would have helped my skiing.

2 days Timberline, 1 day Whitetail.
2 days Snowbird, 1 day Alta, 1 Solitude, 1 Snowbasin.
1 Mad River Glen, 1 Stowe, 1 Sugarbush, 1 Jay Peak, 1 Middlebury. (Total lift ticket price, $162 for Vermont!)

I'm bummed that I wuz sick and missed tele lessons at Timberline over MLK weekend.

Upcoming:
Still have a weekend trip to Blue Knob, 2 more to Timberline, a week in Utah and a week in Vermont. Maybe even a bonus trip in early April for the Epic gathering in Colorado. I'll easily double my days to date. March is the month!!!!!!!!!!!
David
February 18, 2008
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Who are 3 that have been over 20 times?? Reveal yourself!!
Tucker
February 18, 2008
Member since 03/14/2005 🔗
893 posts
Ok, but on a ski site half way through the season shouldn't it be the one's under twenty asked to reveal themselves ??? \:\)

I got about a dozen at the ol Timberline, 2 1/2 dozen at Grand Targhee, about 1/2 dozen wearing avy gear in the backcountry, and a couple days skiing around with little skis/little boots(no avy gear).
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
David
February 18, 2008
2,444 posts
Your the man then. As a full time college student 20 days of skiing is impossible for me. I am sure it may be a stretch for a lot of people on here too....but hey, maybe I'll have a job some day that allows for plenty of time on the slopes also.....
JohnL
February 18, 2008
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
 Quote:
....but hey, maybe I'll have a job some day that allows for plenty of time on the slopes also.....

Oh tay. Ya skip class to go skiing, ya study harder for the final cuz ya hafta. And it generally works out. Ya skip work (with the mysterious flu that reappears every powder day), and ya get practice filling out forms at the unemployment line...

Carpe skiem. Doesn't get any easier with a job, mortgage or a family.
Tucker
February 18, 2008
893 posts
Yeah, it's all about priorities I guess. When I attended the good ol Davis and Elkins, I used to squeeze 21 hours into the fall semester(during soccer season) and take 9 hours in the spring(all on tuesday and thursday). I would teach the snowboarding on the weekends at the snowshoe and canaan valley for a pass and ride on mon, wed, and fri. I would of course ride all winter break and crash in the dorms with other folks who were addicted to the slidin' and build kickers on campus when snow was good.

I've spent alot of winter sleeping on floors, in cars, on ski patrol gurnies. I even chased storms with a budy out west for one winter...we built a bed in the back of a jeep cherokee and slept in parking lots and watched weather reports in bars to decide where to go. I worked full time at ski resorts teaching ridin' during the winter for several years. Now I have a mortgage and I work 7 days a week during the year to take off about two months + during the winter season to rent a place out west with a bunch of buddies...
David
February 18, 2008
2,444 posts
 Originally Posted By: JohnL
Oh tay. Ya skip class to go skiing, ya study harder for the final cuz ya hafta. And it generally works out. Ya skip work (with the mysterious flu that reappears every powder day), and ya get practice filling out forms at the unemployment line...

Carpe skiem. Doesn't get any easier with a job, mortgage or a family.

Well skipping class would be a good idea and all if I wasn't in the lab all week. Having Organic Chem II, Molecular Biology, & Embryology at the same time doesn't really allow much of a chance to skip class to go skiing. Plus I have to put in about 15-20 additional hours a week in the lab for my personal grant-related research. Weekends are usually reserved specifically for writing up lab reports and catching up on some sleep. Last Spring semester was awesome because on Tues. & Thurs. all I had was Botany (yuck) so I could skip almost once a week.

As for the future, I'll be graduating in Dec. this coming year. Needless to say next ski season will be a good one cuz I don't plan on working til its over. After that it's back to school again in the fall...all this school will pay off and I too will get my 20+ days a year in eventually.
JohnL
February 18, 2008
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Hey man, knock 'em dead. I was a Physics geek in my scholar days and my life hasn't turned out too badly.

Nice thing about Physics compared to Chem/Bio, very few labs...
David
February 18, 2008
2,444 posts
 Originally Posted By: JohnL
Hey man, knock 'em dead. I was a Physics geek in my scholar days and my life hasn't turned out too badly.

Nice thing about Physics compared to Chem/Bio, very few labs...

Yeah, I knocked my Physics out over the summer the year before last. I didn't mind it too awful much. I tend to enjoy anything that can be explained by an equation. Although I did not enjoy the one particular lab that we had to calculate where to position a small hoop and then shoot a ball through it without any test shots...That one didn't turn out so hot.
Tucker
February 18, 2008
893 posts
Yeah that load sounds familiar, I was a pre-med and psych major...planned to take a few years off after undergrad and go to the med school...10 years later...now I builds houses in the summer and ride in the winter...wouldn't change a thing...
JohnL
February 19, 2008
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
 Originally Posted By: Tucker
Yeah that load sounds familiar, I was a pre-med and psych major...planned to take a few years off after undergrad and go to the med school...10 years later...now I builds houses in the summer and ride in the winter...wouldn't change a thing...

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Tucker
February 19, 2008
893 posts
and knowing how way leads onto way,
I doubt if I shall ever come back.
jimmy
February 19, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
 Originally Posted By: David
Who are 3 that have been over 20 times?? Reveal yourself!!

tromano
February 19, 2008
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
I hit 30 on sunday.
kwillg6
February 19, 2008
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Looking at things, I should get close to my obligatory 40 days this year if the sun don't shine, the rain don't fall, and the temps don't rise. Just depends how many days I can squeeze into March. ;\)
Bodyflight.net
February 19, 2008
Member since 02/19/2008 🔗
28 posts
Hello! I was looking for a good entry thread, this looks like a perfect choice.

Now, don't laugh, I live in E. Tennessee so I don't have the fabulous choices that everyone has, but we make the most of it.
Trips to VT & NY in the past and Alta Next year!! My husband is ex ProPatrol (10+yrs) and tried to get me more interested for the last few years. Life, work, fear, lack of appropriate cold gear vs. my extreme distaste for cold always seem to win out, but this year I am finally hooked (and warm).

1x Ober Gatlinburg (ski school is a client of mine)
1x Cataloochee
4x Wolf Ridge (formerly Wolf Laurel favorite local place)
3x Winterplace
doesn't count yet but I will be adding Snowshoe this weekend(2/21-2/23)
songfta
February 19, 2008
Member since 05/10/2004 🔗
51 posts
Thus far this year, in chronological order:

Mt. Snow (Nov)
Stowe (2X in Dec)
Copper Mountain (Jan)
Keystone (Jan)
Beaver Creek (Jan)
Loveland Basin (Jan)
Loon (Feb)
Cannon (Feb)

I'll hit Utah over Easter weekend (visiting mom), and Colorado once more in April. If winter ever kicks in here, I may hit the locals a few times on the more rock-oriented skis (i.e. my new Heads aren't going anywhere close to an area with dodgy cover).
David
February 19, 2008
2,444 posts
 Originally Posted By: Bodyflight.net
Life, work, fear, lack of appropriate cold gear vs. my extreme distaste for cold always seem to win out, but this year I am finally hooked (and warm).

Welcome to DCSki!! Don't give in to your fears. Also get some warm ski gear!! Life & work may be a little harder to work out. BTW, what part of TN your from? I spend a fair amount of time in the Kingsport area....
Bodyflight.net
February 19, 2008
28 posts
Hi David, thanks for the welcome!

I'm basically on the NC/TN state line.. my yard backs up to the Cherokee Nat'l Forest & Great Smoky Mountain Nat'l Park. I live about 1 hour from Wolf, Ober & Cataloochee (like a big triangle).

I am finally over the "fear" so far, and have some good spyder pants & a real ski jacket, plus I have other warm goodies like a hilarious neoprene face mask! What a difference WARM makes let me tell you! My boots are broken in, and all I can think of this season is SKI SKI SKI!

Life, work, family.. all favorable to good skiing this year! YAY me! Now if only the local weather could cooperate!

Winterplace is 3.25 hours away & Snowshoe is 5.25 hours so at least remotely good snow is only a mild drive away. The ONLY disadvantage to where I live is I'm surrounded by 4 regional airports and flights to Utah take 10hrs w/connections.

Anyway, glad to meet everyone, thanks for havin me.
February 19, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
jimmy,
WELL SAID...I am jealous!
February 19, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Langley and skibumMSP,
Where are you? I see no entries for Tussey and Massanutten!
jimmy
February 19, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Nice job on the polls Colonel, 29 votes at the moment and i think the results are interesting. Not too many folks bin to canaan

I've been 11 days at tLine 7 at 7 springs and 2 at smugglers notch; five days of freshies pretty good season for me so far
bawalker
February 20, 2008
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Unfortunately for me, two days thus far. One at Wisp on their $7 day and then riding with friends to whitetail on a rainy sunday afternoon when the skins beat dallas in the last regular season game of the year.
skipatrol
February 20, 2008
Member since 02/26/2007 🔗
6 posts
I have 23 days so far.
1 Killington
5 Camelback
1 Windham
1 Mad River
1 Jay
14 Seven Springs

3 days planned this weekend in Utah
7 days planned at Jackson Hole/Grand Targhee
Many more days at 7 Springs
February 20, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
skipatrol,
Welcome back to DCSki! Haven't seen you for a year!
GRK
February 20, 2008
Member since 12/19/2007 🔗
404 posts
Hi Skipatrol...will you do a TR on your western trips?
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
February 20, 2008
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
1 at 7S
1 at BK
3 at Alta
2 at Solitude
1 at Brighton

2 more at BK this weekend

After that I don't know but all will be local and I will get to Hidden Valley just with the family.
February 20, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
As of today, 5 days before the "polls" close on the Mid-Winter DCSkiers' on-slope activities, the results are:
--404 skier/rider days on the slopes
--collectively we have visited nearly every listed resort and area, with 109 indicating attendance at a particular reort or area.
Ever wonder about the power of DCSki...well if each skier-day equals an expenditure of $100 (and this is really low given lots of multi-day overnight stays, meals, etc.) the total spent would exceed $40,000.00.
Wow!
If you have not entered your data as yet, you have until the 25th to do so.
Langley....what about Tussey Mt.?
nakedskier
February 24, 2008
Member since 02/3/2005 🔗
93 posts
Hi guys!

It's been a long while but what can I say? I've been skiin'!

I'm upwards of 35 days so far this season (and this is without a car!)

Hopefully, I can pull 50 (it would be a first) before the season is out.

Now that grad school is done (thank god! - finished in June), I've been putting all my attention to skiing. I know I will have to make the trip back East for the jobby job sooner rather than later......

If anyone is out and about in Colorado, let me know! In the three seasons that I have been out here, I've found the local stashes! I can send you to the good stuff!
February 24, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Just a reminder to complete the two polls indicating how many days you have skied this winter through 2/19, and where you have skied.
So far we DCSkiers have logged somewhere between 463 and 600 slope days, and this does not include multiple days when other family members are also on the slope. We have spent those days at all the mid-Atlantic areas, and elsewhere across the county and world. It would be fun to know which specific resorts in NE, out West, Canada and Europe DCSkiers have frequented, so add an explanatory reply if you are one of these far afield DCSkiers.
And I know we have not captured all the data from registered DCSkiers. For example: Langley has skied Tussey, more than 2 have mentioned venturing to Wintergreen, and many more to Whitegrass, etc. AND, what are the other six not listed mid Atlantic areas that DCSkiers have visited. If I hazard a guess:
Sugar, Beech, Ski Gatlinburg, Roundtop, and Camelback.
Your poll inputs are needed by tomorrow nights closeout. Comments can come at any time.
From these results alone I would say that DCSkiers, friends and families have easily contributed between $100,000 to a quarter of a million dollars to this winter's slope activities.
Thanks,The Colonel \:\)
GGNagy
February 24, 2008
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
 Originally Posted By: The Colonel
AND, what are the other six not listed mid Atlantic areas that DCSkiers have visited. If I hazard a guess:

Mystic Mt. \:\)
ridenski - DCSki Supporter 
February 24, 2008
Member since 04/11/2004 🔗
82 posts
19 days for me.
Whitetail- 4
Solitude- 7
Park City- 2
The Canyons- 1
Powder Mtn- 2
Snowbasin- 2
Alta- 1
Six days riding and 13 skiing with some great pow days and some beautiful Utah bluebird ones as well. Making up for last season when work got in the way.
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
February 24, 2008
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
 Quote:
AND, what are the other six not listed mid Atlantic areas that DCSkiers have visited. If I hazard a guess:

App ski mtn. it rocks.

today was sublime. well groomed, flurries, uncrowded, friendly.
bawalker
February 24, 2008
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Wow I still feel bad for only having two. Does anyone know the quality of snow at Canaan and what the on site forecast is for the coming week? I've yet to goto Canaan in the last 10 years. Sad I know.
k_alice
February 24, 2008
Member since 11/22/2005 🔗
92 posts
OK, I'll weigh in:

Total as of Feb 24:
- Wintergreen: about 10 days
- Bryce: 1 day
- Copper Mountain: 2 days
- Beaver Creek: 2 days

Upcoming:
- Wintergreen: 2 more days
- Les Arcs, France: 6 days

Total through 2/19 (as specified in the subject line): 13 days
Total, including upcoming trips: 23 days
Scott - DCSki Editor
February 24, 2008
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
My turn:

0 ski days so far. (Long sigh.)

Maybe in March...
February 24, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I hope so and wish you the best, my friend.
RodSmith
February 24, 2008
Member since 10/22/2004 🔗
318 posts
I had 3 days on snow before 2/19. Seven Springs, Wachusetts, Whitetail. After 2/19 I had skied three days. One Liberty and two at Blue Knob.
Bodyflight.net
February 25, 2008
28 posts
don't forget my favorite Wolf Ridge!!! Certainly someone else has been there on here beside me.. it's really a gem!
GRK
February 25, 2008
Member since 12/19/2007 🔗
404 posts
All trips with my daughter except for 1 to Wintergreen:

So Far:
Bryce 1
Wintergreen 9

Planned:
Wintergreen 4
Deer Valley 4
Alta 1