Historic Colorado Ski Quality in early April?
7 posts
6 users
6k+ views
MarkMascolino
February 9, 2008
Member since 01/18/2007 🔗
32 posts
I found some cheap airfare out to Denver for the first week in April and I was wondering what people knew about the historic quality of the skiing at that point in the season? It appears that all the Summit county mountains close around the same time so that leads me to believe that is a US Forestry Service decision and not a resort decision. Any thoughts or speculation on how the slopes will be in early April? Thanks.
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
February 9, 2008
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
MarkMascolino
February 10, 2008
Member since 01/18/2007 🔗
32 posts
Thanks pagamony...that is a crazy amount of data. Does anyone have any personal experiences?
JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 10, 2008
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
 Originally Posted By: MarkMascolino
Thanks pagamony...that is a crazy amount of data. Does anyone have any personal experiences?

You betcha: http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=1022&mode=headlines
That fine experience was from last Apr, 2006-2007 was not a particularly great snow season in CO either.
Besides the high elevation chairs at Breck, you also have snowsure A-basin and Loveland nearby. I'd say, "go for it!"
RobertW
February 10, 2008
Member since 10/14/2004 🔗
199 posts
My trips in April (near closing) to Summit County and Vail/Beaver Creek were always wonderful. Smaller crowds and lower prices. Just be prepared for any kind of weather. One year I skied in shorts several days. Another year the powder was knee deep. Almost always had near 100% coverage.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 10, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
While I have only once been to the Summit County resorts in April, I agree with RobertW's assessment. You can anticipate any kind of weather, but the coverage is usually great. I remember going to Vail and being disappointed to see brown mud mixed in the snow at the base, but one I went up the first chair, there was nothing but snow. Conditions also greatly depend on the amount of snow the resorts get during the winter especially March, which determnines the base. This year the snowfall has been epic so far and the bases are greater than normal.
I have skied Snowbird and Alta in Uthahe in early April and never been disappointed. Bases usually 130" plus. But bring lots of suntan lotion and layered clothing since the temps might feel warm. In general you can expect a little more "scrunch" since the surface tends to go through freezing-thaw cycles much more frequently.
ENJOY!!! I am thinking of heading to Snowbird in early April.
The Colonel \:\)
crunchy
February 11, 2008
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
 Originally Posted By: MarkMascolino
I was wondering what people knew about the historic quality of the skiing at that point in the season?

well, I know at THIS point in the season, its close to historic out thar in dem hills!
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?