7 posts
7 users
2k+ views
oldensign - DCSki Columnist
February 4, 2008
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts
Old timers -

Ok not really old timers, how about pre-webers. I have a question that goes back in the snow phone days of the 1990's.

Who was the voice of Blue Knob in the 90's? As I recall I think his name was "Ed". I think he moved 7 around 2000. I might be off on that.

I recall he gave really good...Phone! Back when we dialed for snow reports instead of surfed....
crunchy
February 4, 2008
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
 Originally Posted By: oldensign
Back when we dialed for snow reports instead of surfed....

amazing to think that that was only about 10-12 years ago! I could have swear they also used to give snow reports of the local areas during the weather forecast on the local news too...?
henry3504
February 4, 2008
Member since 11/15/2006 🔗
3 posts
If memory serves me correct....I think you are refering to Ed Miller. He was Technical Director of the Ski School.
imp - DCSki Supporter 
February 4, 2008
Member since 01/11/2007 🔗
299 posts
Ed miller was the guy, he lives at Hidden Valley now, he
worked at the valley the last few years. now he just skis

imp
Crush
February 4, 2008
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
... see ! now that's awesome. i hope i grow up to be that cool...
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 4, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
You really know how to hurt a guy and fellow slope rider!
"Old timers - Ok not really old timers, how about pre-webers."
The first time I skied Blue Knob was in the early seventies and you got snow reports by drum. The old AF NIKE site barracks were still there, you could stay overnight. Still the coldest place I have ever skied in PA. And the drummers knew what the conditions were day after day: Blue Knob powder...essentially the consistency of the ice in your refrig...er...ice box.
The Colonel \:\)
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
February 8, 2008
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
I remember one of Ed's reports after a big dump.... ok probably a few inches of slush. Ed was panting, trying hard to catch his breath after skiing the fresh. He went on about the new snow and great conditions all the while huffing and puffing. Man, that must have been some chair lift ride back to the lodge!!!!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.