Sno Mt and Elk Mt Trip 1/26&27
13 posts
9 users
6k+ views
wojo
February 1, 2008
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts
I went to Elk last Sunday and Sno Mt on Monday for the FF county days off. Never had been to either resort. Quick trip report for those who haven't been.

Door to door from Herndon to North side of Scranton is 4 hours with a 10 minute Micky D's stop. Got a Days Inn hotel for 51$ on Hotwire for 1 adult and 2 kids, hotel had Continental Breakfast, and a pool, the Jacuzzi was under repair. Pretty good deal though for 51 bucks.

Sunday at Elk was great. Skiers left are several nice cruisers and winding trails. Some whales developed and very little ice, which only appeared around 3:30. Skiers right from were the steeps. There was very little ice on these runs too. The snow was a little more frozen and chunky on the steeps. There is a nice winding cruiser on the far right with a terrain park (surface lift). We were skiing some courderoy as lat as 1pm. They had their double lifts open around 10am, but we never waited more than 3 minutes. If you know which runs you want to ski, work your way to the correct lift at the bottom. You can get to any run from any lift, but it seems to be uphill both ways on the top of the mountain from lift to run

The lodge was your typical PA resort lodge with a locker room and open storage, the food was not too expensive, and the restuarant looked pretty nice (we brought food though, so all we got were fries and hot chocolate).

Sno Mt (Montage) was empty on Monday. When we got there at 8:20 there were 15 cars in the lot, and the shuttle bus drove up to meet us. A Sno employee meet us at the lodge and told us about the resort (very nice). Sno is much more open than Elk and they were working on building what looked like a superb terrain park all morning with their snowcats. Skiers left from the top is easier runs with a nice terrain park with lots of features, and the another one that was under construction. Vert on the left was about 500'. Skiers right was just a bit steeper with some nice drops. On the right you continue much further down the hill to the steepest terrain of both the resorts (total vert on the right was 1000'). We were on groomed runs cutting the cords till we left and my youngest was able to handle the entire hill (he is an intermediate), so anyone who can handle white tail can handle Sno on a groomed uncrowded day. The lift from bottom to top was not running so to make it from the very bottom of the hill required two lifts. Getting off the first lift requires a traverse to another lift for a trip to the top, or you can stick to the steepest part of the hill and make lot's of 500 foot vert runs.

The Sno lodge was an open area and the food again was reasonable. The bar was big and friendly looking, but pretty empty on a monday at noon. Looked like it could be a rockin place on a Friday night. I got a discount card from a radio station, if someone wants it, reply to the post and I will mail it too you.

Both places make much better use of 1000' feet than Whitetail does, but thats not Whitetails fault. Elk feels more isolated and a little more "New England" than Sno. From the top of Sno you have a great view of Scranton Internation Airport.

All in all you can easily occupy yourself at both hills for 2 days and it was a great trip for one big kid and two little guys to hand out, eat, swim and ski.
oldensign - DCSki Columnist
February 3, 2008
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts
good report and sounds like a great trip.

I dont know why Montage was renamed Sno Mt. It sounds too cheesy.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 3, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Montage was owned by the city or county and sold to private owners who changed the name so as not to reflect on the old resort, but rather reflect a "new" resort and the changes they were/are/are planning to make.
The Colonel \:\)
Scott - DCSki Editor
February 3, 2008
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
And it's not just Sno Mountain, it's Snö Mountain (the "o" having an umlaut). However, most publications (including DCSki) are not going to go through the hassle of using an umlaut each time Sno Mountain is referenced. (Just as few publications use the exclamation mark in Yahoo! when referring to the company name, even though the official company name has an exclamation mark. Call us lazy, but editors don't care for the silly embellishments that only serve to complicate punctuation and grammar!)

You can read a brief story on DCSki describing the sale of Montage Mountain here.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 3, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Scott,
Way off the subject of SNO MT., but I notice there are two registered DCSkiers on-line at the moment; I am one and the other is "invisible" and I believe him/her to be you. Why "invisible"?
The Colonel \:\)
Scott - DCSki Editor
February 3, 2008
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Sometimes it's better to be heard and not seen. \:\)
oldensign - DCSki Columnist
February 3, 2008
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts
Sno or Sno: it is still cheesy. They should have a contest to give it a real name.

Sno Mtn sounds like some place I would ski in Kansas!
Bumps
February 3, 2008
Member since 12/29/2004 🔗
538 posts
Sounds fun. My son and I did Elk recently and had a blast. It was a pleasent surprise since it was our first time there. Well worth the drive.
scootertig
February 4, 2008
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
Just FWIW - I don't think the diacritical mark on "sno" is not an umlaut, but a macron (a line instead of 2 dots).

Either way, I think it's pretty stupid...

I've never skied there.

aaron
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
February 4, 2008
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts
Looks like an umlaut to me here:
Sno Mtn website.

In either case, I find the addition of the diacritical mark annoying, cloying, precious ... and a but ridiculous. What's the point? (And then there's the moose logo. Lots of them in the Poconos, right? Better check Merritt's Mammals of PA book more closely.)

But I've skied there once and had a great time on the mountain. I wish nothing but success to the new management.

Woody
scootertig
February 4, 2008
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
Wow, Woody... You're right. Weird, because I could've sworn that the Sno Mountain stuff I picked up at the DC Ski expo had a macron.

The umlaut doesn't even make sense phonetically. (to make a rough approximation of an umlauted "o", shape the lips for "oo" but say "ee". It's obviously easier to show in person, but that's a basic approach...) Sneuh? I don't know how to write it without resorting to IPA.

I can't help but thing of things like Blue Öyster Cult and Queensrche...

aaron
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
February 4, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
I'm headed there this coming weekend, to Snö (avec umlaut).... Thanks for the report. Hopefully the new owners will effect some of the positive changes that will improve the mountain. Right now it is a good mountain. Could become an outstanding place with better infrastructure.
SkiBumMSP
February 6, 2008
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
 Originally Posted By: scootertig

I can't help but thing of things like Blue Öyster Cult and Queensrche...

Yup, the good ol' Heavy Metal Umlaut!

Stupid name or not, I have to admit that I was pretty impressed with Sno Mountain. They had some great terrain for a Mid-Atlantic mountain, plus the staff there was really cool, especially the ski patrol (they treated me like one of their own!) I went up there last year President's day weekend (just days after that epic dump they got up there over last year's Valentines Day), so the conditions where friggan awesome. I also went to Elk mountain, which also was really nice (and I'll admit, it did seem to have that "old-timey New England" feel to it).

BTW - no White Lightening at Sno Mountain? That had to of been one of the sickest mogul runs I've ever seen (and did) in the Mid-Atlantic!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?