Issuing a HMLKDSA
12 posts
7 users
3k+ views
langleyskier
January 14, 2008
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Thats right... i officially am going to issue a Historic Martin Luther King Day Skiing Advisory for all areas that are within drivable distance of the city of Washington DC

This advisory will take effect 1/19/08 at 12 AM and expire 1/21/08 at 12 PM.

All skiers and boarders should be aware of possible powder skiing and riding throughout the holiday weekend as a result of a powerful storm system projected to hit the capital area ate in the week. Also, there is the likelihood of upslope snows throughout the weekend leading to perfect skiing conditions. Cold, near perfect snowmaking weather will follow this storm system and lead to great conditions at the more local areas, giving local skiers a multitude of options for great skiing. If this advisory needs to be updated to a warning the forecaster will do so later in the week. As always, the forecaster must advise readers that the forecast can change drastically given the longer range of the forecast.

note: there is the possibility that the more local areas could experience a period of rain during the late week system but hopefully they should be able to make plenty of snow tonight/tomorrow and then after the storm to have good conditions for this weekend. Higher elev areas received 4-8+ inches last night/today and should have plenty of snow to have great conditions for the holiday (totals in the 2 ft+ range from this week/late week storm/upslope following storm)

David
January 14, 2008
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Oh wow.....I like what I hear!!
langleyskier
January 14, 2008
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Check out the forcast for Mchenry, MD!!: (i would ignore the rain/snow prediction... it will be al snow)!!!

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php...p.x=79&map.y=92
crunchy
January 14, 2008
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
hell yeah! thats actually the same forecast and advisory's as davis, wv \:\) (obviously since they are right next to eachother almost on the allegheny front) another 6-7 overnight and flakes shown in every days graphic. bring it on! since there is supposed to be possible bad weather in the DC area also.. HOPEFULLY many will change their plans and just stay home in fear of trecherous travel conditions, but only after they buy up all the milk, toilet paper and bread from the grocery stores :P
jason
January 14, 2008
Member since 01/14/2008 🔗
2 posts
Hi, would the weather be good enough earlier in the week.
I'm thinking about going on Wendesday night and whole Friday to whitetail, to avoid the crowd. I'm a contractor and my schedule is around the weather :-)
langleyskier
January 14, 2008
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
I would guess not. Especially whitetail needs the time to repair the mnt. The local areas were decimated last week and as you can see on whitetail's cam they have very thin cover on only parts of each slope. Friday you may be ok but if you want to do any multiday skiing go up to wisp or 7 springs. Both paces have had 6-8 in the last two days and will blow plenty of snow tonight to make for decent conditions on open slopes.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 15, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Welcome to DCSki, Jason.
Tell us a little about yourself.
The Colonel \:\)
jason
January 15, 2008
Member since 01/14/2008 🔗
2 posts
The Colonel:
well I learn to ski in Wyoming, in a small town near Steamboat springs. At that time, I don't know steamboat spring is something worth visit. so I'm heading east looking for my first job :-). I really miss that. And I Just turned a snowboarder this season. Jason
JohnL
January 15, 2008
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
 Quote:
The Colonel:
well I learn to ski in Wyoming, in a small town near Steamboat springs. At that time, I don't know steamboat spring is something worth visit. so I'm heading east looking for my first job :-). I really miss that. And I Just turned a snowboarder this season. Jason

Well, you've just made two recent mistakes. \:\/ At least it's winter right now.

As to Whitetail, they're replenshing their bases like mad, so it is worth at least one day up there this week.
langleyskier
January 16, 2008
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Ya i would say friday should be rather good up there... just watch out for whatever happens thursday. Looks like this system may be kinda messy, maybe starting as snow then going to rain/sleet/ice for most, with only minor accumulations of any precipitation (liquid or snow). If you can get up to a higher elevation area (wisp or 7springs) you should definitely do it, they have had 10-15 (20 in canaan) inches this week and have made ample amounts of snow on top of that.
langleyskier
January 16, 2008
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
HMLKDSA is officially upgraded to a HMLKDSW (historic MLK weekend skiing warning) as a result of the snows this week and the coming lake effect/upslope in the mnts. after this system on thurs. I would have to guess all the higher elevation areas will double the totals they have seen over the past few days and should all end up with 2-3 feet for the week. Local areas will be decent on saturday and improve drastically for sunday then be perfect for monday after a VERY chilly weekend.
kwillg6
January 16, 2008
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
 Originally Posted By: jason
And I Just turned a snowboarder this season. Jason

another one gone to the dark side . It must be a contractor's thing. Right Tucker?

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.