Snowshoe webcam?
9 posts
7 users
5k+ views
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
January 11, 2008
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
Do they have one? I thought there were webcam links on DCski but I can't find them. Resorts can spin their conditions & trail counts but a webcam doesn't lie.
JohnL
January 11, 2008
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
I *thought* it was mentioned in a recent thread that Snowshoe no longer has a live webcam.
Scott - DCSki Editor
January 11, 2008
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Snowshoe has never had a live webcam, by choice. (One of the real estate developments did temporarily have a webcam as the building was being constructed, but that went away awhile ago.) In the past Snowshoe has told me they felt the quality of webcams was too low and could give an inaccurate representation of conditions (e.g., if cam ices over, network connection goes down, etc.), and that they preferred to take photos from around the mountain each day and post those instead of having a stationary image. I think doing both is better, but I understand their position, and many resorts feel the same way.

However, folks who attended the DC Expo this year and asked Snowshoe about this said that Snowshoe is looking into getting webcam(s), maybe for next season. I don't know if that will pan out. The quality of webcams has really improved and the costs have gone down. A lot of resorts use wireless webcams, which could cause a problem at Snowshoe due to its proximity to the National Radio Astronomy Observatory. They've had to jump through some interesting technical hurdles to install ski patrol radio repeaters and the fire alarm wireless signal sent from the backcountry hut. (Especially the latter, which is located on a hill overlooking Greenbank!)
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 11, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Hopefully Snowshoe will find and install webcams that can coexist with Greenbank. As for posting pictures each day, these can be manipulated and show only the one patch of snow on the mountain, but Snowshoe does not consistently post pictures daily, and when they do the picts are of a different scene, etc. each day so the viewer has no way to make comparisons or determine what conditions really are.
BRING ON THE WEB CAMS, say mounted on the slopeside corner of Mountain Lodge, with a view of the Ballhooter lift and down the trail to the lake.
The Colonel \:\)
langleyskier
January 11, 2008
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
I completely agree. Although it is at times detrimental to a resort to have webcams because it shows the true state of the mountain and cannot be manipulated by the resort, it is a great thing to have for customer service. I really love what wisp has done by covering their mountain with cams and think resorts need follow their example and that us skiers must demand that of them
Abe
December 12, 2008
Member since 11/14/2008 🔗
366 posts
Has anyone heard anything more about the possiblity of having a webcam up at Snowshoe?
Murphy
December 12, 2008
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Originally Posted By: Abe
Has anyone heard anything more about the possiblity of having a webcam up at Snowshoe?

The guy who runs the live weather station up there says he wants to put up a webcam but nothing's happened so far.
Abe
December 12, 2008
Member since 11/14/2008 🔗
366 posts
Are you referring to this weather station over at Silver Creek? Is that run by the resort or just someone that lives there?

It's good to hear that someone is thinking about it.
Murphy
December 12, 2008
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Yep. It's just some guy who works there (may live in employee housing, not sure).

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.