Whitetail, Liberty, Roundtop Closed 1/10, 1/11
13 posts
9 users
3k+ views
JohnL
January 10, 2008
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,562 posts
Per their websites, all three are closed due to upcoming rainy weather this Thursday (today) 1/10 and Friday 1/11. Per their websites, they plan on reopening on Saturday.

Looking at Whitetail's webcam the past few days, the coverage on the lower half of the terrain park and one section of Exhibition looked pretty dicey.

Fortunately cold weather is returning, and MLK weekend should have some decent conditions.
Finsout
January 10, 2008
Member since 01/23/2001 🔗
104 posts
My dream scenario would be that this season causes a fiscal crisis for Snowtime that forces Irv Naylor to decide he's had enough and sell. A large ski company buys up roundtop and puts some serious money into it and makes it what it SHOULD be.
Steve
January 10, 2008
Member since 02/15/2006 🔗
160 posts
Be very careful what you wish for. The Snowtime resorts may not be perfect, but they're close, they make snow every minute they can, and they have spent a lot on improvements in the last few years including new lifts and snow guns.

We were at TL last year MLK weekend and only half the slopes were open even though it snowed 6 inches while we were there and there were huge piles of snow on some of the unopened trails. We kept saying to each other, What would Liberty do with all this snow?

We need to support our local hills so they don't disappear.

Steve
Finsout
January 11, 2008
104 posts
Maybe at Liberty but not at Roundtop. The new mgmt up there has adopted a policy of doing the absolute minimum they need to do to and soak the customer for every little thing at the same time. not exactly a great model for a service/tourist industry.

Being close doesn't mean squat to me if i feel like i'm getting ripped off most of the time i go. the same goes for supporting the local mountains.
luist2401
January 11, 2008
Member since 01/10/2007 🔗
18 posts
I've never been to Roundtop, so I can't comment about that place.

However, I want to second the positive comments about Liberty and Whitetail. Both resorts seem to make the most with what their mountians have to offer. The'yre always making as much snow as possible and the staffs at both locations strive to make every customer's expereince enjoyable.
SteveC
January 11, 2008
Member since 10/24/2005 🔗
145 posts
We go to Liberty and Whitetail all the time and feel they do a good job running the mountains. We went to Roundtop once and had an awful experience. (It was a snow day for No. Va. and Montgomery Cnty and everyone, and I mean everyone, headed to Roundtop. Roundtop did not have hardly any staff on hand - rental baskets, cafeteria, lifts - one lift was not even running even though the trail was open.) Needless to say, we haven't been back.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 11, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Wow, this sure sounds different from the Roundtop I used to ski often. Have not been there for probably 5+ years so I can not comment on the present state of affairs.
The Colonel \:\)
crunchy
January 11, 2008
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
roundtop was the first place i ever skied! havent been there in way too many years tho. liberty has always been my favorite area out of the 3 for some reason tho. maybe its because we went there every friday for night skiing when i was in high school \:\)
Crush
January 11, 2008
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,276 posts
heh, roundtop - that crap is like the odor u get when u drive by that huge chicken-house-slaughter place Perdue runs left off of 50 on the way to ocean city?! like ok real facts:

1) dry county - No DRINKS

2) too many christian-family band (bleah) event-thingys

3) EVERY G@# D)(*& time i'd race there i'd bust or dislocate something the ski patrol would say " uuuhhh, errrrrr, yeaaaahhhhh - um we don't treat that here now ... gotta go ... there's an ER about 1 hour away .... good luck .."

4) gross bathrooms.

5) Around 1994 didn't some teen-grl die there lying on rocks near one of those lame-name-like-1776-redwhiteblue runs and in court roundtop et al. said "... uuuuuhhh, errrrrrrrr, yeaaaaaaaahhh - um we don't ooops do not remember that happening ... gotta go ... "

oohh yeah right roundtop. no thanks.
fishnski
January 12, 2008
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
There he is folks....THE ORIGINAL Shock poster at DCSKI!...Keep wakin them up Crush!
Finsout
January 14, 2008
104 posts
 Originally Posted By: Crush
heh, roundtop - that crap is like the odor u get when u drive by that huge chicken-house-slaughter place Perdue runs left off of 50 on the way to ocean city?! like ok real facts:

1) dry county - No DRINKS

2) too many christian-family band (bleah) event-thingys

3) EVERY G@# D)(*& time i'd race there i'd bust or dislocate something the ski patrol would say " uuuhhh, errrrrr, yeaaaahhhhh - um we don't treat that here now ... gotta go ... there's an ER about 1 hour away .... good luck .."

4) gross bathrooms.

5) Around 1994 didn't some teen-grl die there lying on rocks near one of those lame-name-like-1776-redwhiteblue runs and in court roundtop et al. said "... uuuuuhhh, errrrrrrrr, yeaaaaaaaahhh - um we don't ooops do not remember that happening ... gotta go ... "

oohh yeah right roundtop. no thanks.

1. Actually it's a dry township not county. Many believe that it could be 'wet' if RT pushed the issue but your number 2 should let you know why.

2. True--this is a mgmt decision. A few years ago Hooters was going to kick in some pretty heavy money for events and pipe/park improvements but RT mgmt said no way due to moral concerns.

3. We didn't call RT ski patrol 'snow nazis' for nothing. a few are very very good but the rest are a joke who are more concerned with power then helping people.

4.Very gross

5.Yes. It was on Ramrod and she was dead for quite some time before they found her. I actually stayed up after hours to help the search.
Crush
January 14, 2008
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,276 posts
finsout - there's always a diamond in the rock and u are definitely one. heh actually the men's room in 7-springs across from where the season lockers are is more gross - like if u go into the potty-stall there it smells like something died behind the toilet. eeewwwww seriously I have to mouth-breath in that one.
Finsout
January 14, 2008
104 posts
Hence my original point. Sell Roundtop to a company that gives a crap about the customer and doesn't have the attitude of 'we are the only show in town so where else are you going to go'.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.