"Interesting" runs in the Mid-Atlantic?
15 posts
11 users
4k+ views
scootertig
January 8, 2008
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
What are some ski areas that have runs that are more than straight shots from top to bottom? I skied Whitetail a few weeks ago, and then the next weekend was up in Vermont, and was really taken by the difference between the twisty-turny New England trails and the wide-open freeways at Whitetail. (I hope that's not a gross mischaracterization)

Where would I find trails that are more like the New England feel without having to drive all the way up there? Or is that the only way?

For bonus points: is there anywhere that might provide the twisty-turny feel at the green or moderate blue level?

Thanks!

aaron

PS - I have only skied at Timberline, Wintergreen, Bryce (grass skiing, anyway), and Whitetail in the mid-Atlantic, so my experience is definitely rather limited.
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
January 8, 2008
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
When Laurel opens next season try Innsbruck for an easy to moderate green and Broadway for an easy to moderate blue. At Blue Knob there's Mambo Alley for green and Jack Rabbit for blue.
Roger Z
January 8, 2008
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
There's some short but sweet ones at Canaan Valley, assuming you have natural snow: The Glades, Spruce Run, Weiss Meadows, Dark Side (Spruce is an old t-bar line, Weiss Meadows is wide but it's a meadow). Almost all are doable for an intermediate- maybe Spruce is a touch steep but that's about it.

Blue Knob is king of the twisties. Other than that, look for the older ski hills, they still have occasional runs around like Barrett's at Roundtop.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 9, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Wisp has a number of runs that twist and turn, and are not overly wide.
The Colonel \:\)
JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 9, 2008
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
There is some discussion on that topic here: http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=357&mode=search
Be sure to check comments section.
Stembogen at Blue Knob would be a candidate in the twisty category. I guess we shouldn't overlook Twister at Timberline.
kwillg6
January 9, 2008
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Two places come to mind. Snowshoe and Elk. When skiing at either resort, if you didn't know that you were in either WV or PA you would swear that it was the White Mountains of New Hampshire by the trail layout, turns, and steepeness of some of the runs.
jimmy
January 9, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Cmon roger i don't know about all of the midA but everybody knows the only interesting runs in WV are at snowshoe ;\) . Spruce run is pretty cool, can't be more than 3 ski lengths wide and Blue Knob is the most un mid atlantic place in the mid atlantic.
kwillg6
January 9, 2008
2,066 posts
Ya, jimmi. What other ski area has a rest stop (hole in the wall) halfway down the slope.
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
January 9, 2008
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts
I hear ya, scooterig!

I'd second the comments about Blue Knob (northeastern-type runs, unusual for the mid-A), Elk (as they say, "It's like skiing in Vermont without the drive"), and parts of Canaan. Barrett's Trail and Lafayette's Leap at Roundtop, Devil's Elbow at Wintergreen, Twister at T-line, and Ridge Runner at Whitetail all remind me of the kinds of runs you're talking about.

Consider an overnight to Elk, and maybe catching night skiing or a full day at nearby Sno Mountain, too. Blue Knob is best after a mid-season snowfall, but I was impressed by their conditions on the greens and blues last Friday.

Thinking snow,
Woody
Roger Z
January 9, 2008
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
 Originally Posted By: jimmy
Cmon roger i don't know about all of the midA but everybody knows the only interesting runs in WV are at snowshoe ;\)

"Beer Run" at Winterplace was one of my personal favorites, but not really for the trail. Though, come to think of it, the trail was pretty nice, made nicer by a tall frosty.

Denton in north, north, north central PA has some nice old-style runs, fairly steep though. Laurel and BK really do take the cake for un-MidA skiing.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
January 9, 2008
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
My nomination for the most interesting green run is 3-Mile at Whitegrass. Restricting to lift served slopes and blue/green makes things tougher. I agree that the runs on skiers left at Canaan (Weiss Meadow and nearby) are interesting and pretty. And crowds there are light and seem to have gotten lighter with the growth of Timberline. Parts of that area are left ungroomed on powder mornings, which is especially nice. If you allow black runs, there are a couple of nice ones at Blue Knob, Shortway, Edgeset, and Route 66.

The best and most interesting blue/green runs in the east IMHO are in Mad River's Birdland, http://www.madriverglen.com/maps/iMapLarge.php (Lift 3 on this map). Many an expert can be found there after 2 PM mellowing out after their legs can take no more hairball runs through the woods.
kwillg6
January 9, 2008
2,066 posts
Are you talking a. lift served, named runs, b. lift served unnamed "runs", or just c. unnamed runs that can be served by foot, beast, or truck? In the first case, there is a hybrid of a tree run at t-line that when skiable, is my favorite and ends below pearly glades. With b., there are quite a few as denis described like some of the area off piste in the meadows area at CV or under their triple chair. Then there is last category which I can hardly wait to try, given ample snowfall. A line I walked last fall in the glades behind my Bonner Mtn house. I should be able to ski right down to Rt 32 at Dryfork but as mentioned, I need a copious amount of snow so I don't catch a log and break my neck. I'll name it after I ski it. \:\/
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 9, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
kwillg6,
Just be sure you do not have to name it "Neck Cracker".
The Colonel \:\)
Murphy
January 9, 2008
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
What's the matter with you Roger? Don't give away our secret run. They were out of New Castle last time as it was.
Buckeye Skier
January 11, 2008
Member since 01/11/2004 🔗
54 posts
 Originally Posted By: Laurel Hill Crazie
When Laurel opens next season.

Is that just an optomistic statement or is there news I've missed?
I always liked the Meadows at Canaan Valley. Dew Drop and Almost Heaven at TL have some twist to them also.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.