17 posts
7 users
2k+ views
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 26, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Andy:

Just for you: here's some recents shots of MPC, taken by photographer Jonathan Jessup:

http://www.jonathanjessup.com/mount-porte-crayon.htm

Nice vertical...

[This message has been edited by johnfmh (edited 01-26-2004).]

(Anonymous)
January 26, 2004
Thanks buddy,can't wait to ck them out!
Roger Z
January 26, 2004
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Man that's a large "hill." You forget until you see it again.
(Anonymous)
January 26, 2004
Wow! Thanks for the pictures! A very beautiful mountain.

All it needs now are some lifts and a nice base lodge, and it will be "heaven." :-)

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
(Anonymous)
January 26, 2004
Any hill that can create its own little snowstorm is a real bonified mtn!!Those pics gave me goose bumps.I was staring at stowe in the mid atlantic.The pics were taken just above my prop I'm proud to add,same view.I almost bought a couple of acres just to the right of the top,where it levels off just a little..but the neighbors scared me off with stories of 50 below windchills & 18 foot drifts!Part of the sells pitch was the views of tory mtn.Little did the realters know of the potential of MPC.Those pics have got to stir the blood of even the salamander lovers on this forum.That was not even a good close shot of the top but you could pick out some powder stashes lower down on the mtn.
(Anonymous)
January 26, 2004
Andy,

What realtor did you go through to find your CV property?

JohnL
January 27, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Did all the DCSki readers exhaust this guy's bandwith? I'm getting 404 errors...
gatkinso
January 27, 2004
Member since 01/25/2002 🔗
316 posts
Yah I think they went away - the link to them on the main page is gone.
January 27, 2004
1,986 posts
I just received a note from Jonathan:

All the DCSki hits overwhelmed his site, forcing you to remove the page.

Sorry about that...

Andy is right: the mountain does look like a Mount Mansfield in WV from the angle of those shots. Pretty incredible.

[This message has been edited by johnfmh (edited 01-27-2004).]

(Anonymous)
January 27, 2004
MU I bought my prop from the owner himself.Adam judy jr.He has since passed away,his partner with a last name of Harmen(from Harmen)might still have land left in the area.They owned 125 acres on the ridge above the golden anchor rest.+about 20 acres below it.+ land at various other places.The prop at HIGH MTN up at the top just to the right of MPC in the pic was shown to me by a realter from timberline realty.
gatkinso
January 27, 2004
Member since 01/25/2002 🔗
316 posts
well damn I want to buy one of those prints i guess i'll just look fot it on the site.
Scott - DCSki Editor
January 27, 2004
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Hmm. Well, I never thought that DCSki would have the "Slashdot effect." (The geeks among us on the boards should get that one.)

- Scott

January 27, 2004
1,986 posts
I sent a message to Jonathan, asking if he will re-post the link. I'm waiting to hear what he says....

"Slashdot Effect

The Slashdot Effect is the sudden, relatively temporary surge in traffic to a Web site that occurs when a high-traffic Web site or other source posts a story that refers visitors to another Web site. The effect gets its name from the Slashdot Web site, which provides content about Linux and related software, and sometimes features news about other related but less-traveled sites. However, the effect can be perceived when any large Web site posts a high-interest, widely-publicized story, about another site. The effect is obviously much more noticeable on smaller sites and the surge in traffic sometimes will slow a site down or make it impossible to reach.
Slashdot, the Web site, is named, according to Slashdot originator Jeff "Hemos" Bates, as "a play on how terrible it is to say domain names out loud." In this case: h-t-t-p-colon-slash-slash-slash-dot-dot-o-r-g"

[This message has been edited by johnfmh (edited 01-27-2004).]

(Anonymous)
January 31, 2004
Moderators....Has the photo of Mount Porte-Crayon been removed?
February 24, 2004
1,986 posts
The server problems have been solved and the link is back up:

http://www.wvhighlands.org/roaring-plains/

He also has some cool shots of Dolly Sods in the winter here:

http://www.jonathanjessup.com/dolly-sods-snow/dolly-sods-winter-snow.htm

[This message has been edited by johnfmh (edited 02-24-2004).]

warren
February 24, 2004
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
John,
That's a very nice and informative article about Mt Porte Crayon. Some very beautiful scenery there! There'll be some incredible vistas from the top of the lifts if there is a ski area developed.

-Warren-

February 24, 2004
1,986 posts
Just to avoid confusion:

The web site is run by Jonathan Jessup, a friend of mine who takes photos of the WV Highlands. I did not write the material on that web site.

The pictures give one a good impression of the area.

[This message has been edited by johnfmh (edited 02-24-2004).]

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?