TR: 7 Springs
5 posts
3 users
1k+ views
camp
January 5, 2008
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts
Some friends from VA really wanted to ski White Grass today, but we all knew there wouldn't be enough base there to make turns, especially in the woods. They heard about the 17" reported at 7Springs and we decided to go there. I met them in Breezewood and drove up looking at farm fields with nowhere near 17".

I last snowboarded at Springs about 8-10 years ago. I was surprised how good it was today, and remembered how good that mountain is. At least, it's a lot more interesting than Whitetail. There were some natural snow only trails on the North side, and they weren't closed. They were dirty in spots, but peeps skied them, at least once to learn.

The snow was soft all day, nothing there is too steep, and we all had a great day tele'ing around the North side all day. I like the way you can easily traverse around there and get from lift to lift, and hit lots of little shots along the way.

Can't wait to get that again, and hopefully Blue Knob will fire up at least once this season.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 5, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Welcome camp,
Interesting that we were both keyboarding a 7Springs TR at the same time. I too had a great, albeit a bit damp day! I posted my more rambling report in the Resorts forum.
The Colonel \:\)
Bumps
January 6, 2008
Member since 12/29/2004 🔗
538 posts
I've never been there, so I am curious to what made it interesting to you: terrain, views, trail layout? Ski Report has them with about 5 inches in last few days with 11 of 14 slopes open. Not bad considering they were right on the rain line.
camp
January 6, 2008
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts
 Originally Posted By: Bumps
I've never been there, so I am curious to what made it interesting to you:
Mostly, that it just looks and feels like a real ski area. Looks like a lot of the places I've been in Vermont or Colorado. For an eastern resort, it's been clearcut (usually something I don't love), so there are no barriers from one trail to the next. It's all wide open. You have to take certain lifts to get to certain places, and the you can't always get there from here kinda thing.

It doesn't have a lot of vertical, but it does have interesting natural terrain features and trees that they don't seem to rope off. There are lots of good skiers there, and racing seems to be of some importance given the multiple courses i saw in action yesterday on various parts of the mountain.
Bumps
January 6, 2008
Member since 12/29/2004 🔗
538 posts
Thanks. I too like when you have to use a combination of trails and lifts to ski certain parts of a mountain. I will have to try it.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.