Wintergreen or Massanutten?
5 posts
4 users
2k+ views
oldensign - DCSki Columnist
January 5, 2008
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts
Which is closer to Norfolk? Both sites say they are a 4 hour drive? If you were comming from V-Beach where would you go?
GRK
January 5, 2008
Member since 12/19/2007 🔗
404 posts
It takes me exactly 1.5 hours to get from exit 178B on I64 (Short Pump/Broad St.)to Wintergreen. I drive about 70mph. I have only been to Mass. once but it seems like it took a little longer than that. To go to the beach from that same spot is a little under 2 hours if we are lucky with traffic. So you could do it in 3.5 hours if traffic were good. West of Richmond, traffic is no issue. Good luck. \:\)
GRK
January 5, 2008
Member since 12/19/2007 🔗
404 posts
PS Watch your speed on VA151 if you go to Wintergreen.
Ullr
January 5, 2008
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Wintergreen is a good 30 mins closer.

There is a much shorter way to get to Massanutten then what their website lists.
Bumps
January 6, 2008
Member since 12/29/2004 🔗
538 posts
its been years since i've been to wintergreen, but i would look at experience factor if they are that close. The last few times I have tried massanutten, I regretted not going farther. Mostly due to the large number of newbes, normally I like to see new folks on the slopes but I seemed to hit it the same days they had school/church groups in large numbers. When I stayed on he couple of Black diamonds it wasn't too bad, but late in the day many of the more adventurous first timers would migrate to these slopes. SkiBumMSP does ski patrol at Mass, so maybe he could post some recommended times to miss the rush.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?