Black Diamonds Opening Up!
7 posts
6 users
2k+ views
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
January 5, 2008
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts
Looks like several resorts took good advantage of this week's cold weather to expand their operations with more snowmaking. I skied Blue Knob yesterday (great time!) and noticed that they were wrapping up snowmaking on Lower High Hopes. It's open today -- their first black diamond run to open up.

Likewise, Whitetail has finally been able to open the Expert's Choice lift with Drop In and Exhibition, Liberty has lifted the ropes on Upper Ultra and Upper Blue Streak, Timberline has Off the Wall open, and Wintergreen just opened up Sunrise (but not the Highlands runs yet). Roundtop has lifted the gates on a bunch of black runs from the top, including Ramrod.

Kudos to Wisp for getting the backside ready so early and Massanutten for opening Diamond Jim a couple of weeks ago(they added some blue runs recently).

Hope the skiing is great where you're headed this weekend!

Woody
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
January 5, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Today we had Cupp Run open at Snowshoe, and yesterday it was two out of the three new single diamonds in the old Widowmaker (now Soaring Eagle) terrain.

Cupp was a blessing. We got there at 1050, right after opening. The snow was soft, with a little crud, slow-type of snow, but it gave us a magnificent, non-stop cruise to the base. We did Cupp about 5 times until we needed some nourishment.

After lunch, we went to the new Soaring Eagle runs, all single diamonds. Sawmill and Camp 99 were open. Both are narrower, curvy and challenging. Both were in great conditions, with small moguls having made their presence, creating a little additional challenge. Absolutely great day!
Hope4Snow
January 5, 2008
Member since 12/2/2007 🔗
9 posts
Spent Friday night and this morning at Liberty. They really did a great job making a ton of snow in the cold weather. Going back tomorrow!
snowglobe
January 6, 2008
Member since 03/12/2007 🔗
150 posts
I second Lou that Cupp Run was great on Saturday! It was not the best condition though, it was a bit above freezing point on Friday and that made snow softer -- not powdery, I believe. I experienced better condition last season during St. Patrick day weekend.
Yet, it was a lot of fun, knowing that it would probably rain on Sunday I and my friend went down on Cupp Run 9 times before calling it off and went to Silver creek which is a lot easier to ski/board but still a lot of fun too.

Anyone, skied/boarded Exhibition, I wonder how was the condition?
therusty
January 7, 2008
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
I was on Exhibition early Saturday. The first run conditions were almost death cookiesh (new manmade that doesn't get a chance to dry out does that on the first grooming), but it softened up quickly. The coverage was good and they regroomed it Saturday night.
JohnL
January 7, 2008
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Any significant bumps form on Exhibition over the weekend? I am assuming they did because of the warm temps.

How much base does Exhibition and Limelight have to weather this upcoming week?
therusty
January 11, 2008
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
Limelight did not have enough to weather the weather. It's toast once again.

Exhibition still looks good, but it does not yet have enough snow to support decent size bumps yet. I would expect the trail to get groomed regularly until snow depths are into the mid 20's. If you watch the conditions report, simply check whether or not Exhibition is getting groomed. If not, then they are letting the bumps form.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.