Shoe v. 7 Springs
3 posts
3 users
1k+ views
MangyMarmot
January 22, 2004
Member since 12/25/2002 🔗
183 posts
The 'shoe has been my primary destination for the past 3 years. I generally go 2-3 times a season, but...

I drive a rear-wheel car which sucks in mountains if any precip at all.

We're taking a 2-day trip in early Feb. And I'm a bit tapped out now so don't want to rent a 4-wheel drive.

So, I'm wondering if 7 Springs is:
a) comparable terrain, lodging, etc. to the 'shoe
b) any easier to get to -- meaning more of the trip on true Interstate and straight roads
c) cheaper or more expensive for lodging

mm

tromano
January 22, 2004
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
1st, never been to the shoe,

2nd, 7Springs would be much easier to get to for you since you take the Penn TPK to within 7 miles and unlesss there was a blizzard (read your stuck even with a SUV) a rear wheel should get you there just fine.

Considering the cost of renting a 4WD suv, maybe $50 a day, and SS's more expensive lift tickets, I don't see how SS could be cheaper for you than 7S.

As I said, never been to the shoe, but my gut tells me it has significantly more terrain ( am sure someone else will give a detaied analysis), but 7S has enough for 2 full days without getting bored.

(Anonymous)
January 22, 2004
Seven Springs may actually have very comparable amount of terrain as Snowshoe, they just don't have the bigger vert of Cupp and Shays. lots and lots of short slopes. If you are coming from DC/Balt Seven Springs would be about 3 hrs vs 4.5-5 hrs to shoe (shoe regulars may be able to better). And like Tromano said, mostly all interstate to Seven Sprs. The base complex of Seven Springs has an older/different feel from SS, but just about as sizeable with lots to do. Those two are in a class by themselves in the mid-atlantic as far as slopeside facilities/infrastructure goes. I'd also suggest Wisp, Md. It's slightly smaller than the other two terrain wise, with less slopeside infrastructure, but every bit as good in the snowmaking dept and worth a couple days visit if you don't need lots of expert terrain. very good road access too, 3 hrs from DC with maybe slightly less lodging costs over the other two. blue knob is the place for expert terrain, but the last 30 min of drive (3hrs from dc) is tough and lodging may be cheap, but also lousy.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.