Has anyone skied on Christmas (or Eve)? Crowds?
9 posts
7 users
2k+ views
skier219
December 20, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
I am curious how crowded it typically gets on Christmas Eve and Christmas at Wintergreen. I was thinking about heading up there with my wife for a few hours on one of those days. Our season passes are valid on both days (but not 12/26-1/1) so it's a good time to get out there. This is the first year in a long time we're at home for Christmas and not hosting company. We just need to show up at my sister in law's in Richmond on Christmas night for dinner. And of course Richmond is conveniently on the way back from Wintergreen...

I can see how it could go either way with crowds. A lot of people are off work/school obviously, but most people are busy with family/friends on those days and may not venture to the slopes. I think we'd have a great time if it wasn't too crowded. On the other hand, if it's typically a busy day, I'd want to avoid it.

hockeydave
December 21, 2007
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
I have skied 7 Springs on Christmas Eve several times and plan on skiing again this year (morning only). The crowds have been weekdayish every time.
tromano
December 21, 2007
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Dave is right. Most place in the midaltnatic I have been to Xmas eve and day are usually pretty light on crowds. The 26th - 1st however are nuts.
k_alice
December 21, 2007
Member since 11/22/2005 🔗
92 posts
We're often at Wintergreen for Christmas. There are generally few crowds on Christmas day, maybe a little more for Christmas eve, but not crowded. Of course, more important factors as weather and number of slopes open. For the past few years, weather has been pretty bad on Christmas, and I don't think we skied, even though we were right there. Also, they'll probably just have Dobie and Eagle Swoop open, which means skiers will be concentrated on those slopes. Still, if the weather holds up, and your passes are valid, it's worth stopping by.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
December 21, 2007
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Christmas is really not yet into winter season. At the Shoe, my unit doesn't begin to rent until January. The first busy weekend is usually College Weekend during the semester break.
b2otto2
December 22, 2007
Member since 02/1/2003 🔗
65 posts
I have skied 7 Springs on Christmas day about 4 years ago when they had everything open, it was one of the best ski days I have ever had there. Im headed up on Monday to check out the new Gunner lift. I also have skied Snowshoe the week of Christmas, and vowed never to ski that week down there again, as many families make Christmas at Snowshoe the one and only ski vacation of the year. There were just too many inexperienced young skiers on the slopes for me to enjoy it. I will head down there after Jan. 1st. My buddies 8 unit condo at Highland House is always booked for Christmas week.
Stumpy
December 23, 2007
Member since 12/12/2007 🔗
20 posts
Lou,
Property Rental 101 says that you have to remove the owners block with the management company to rent through the holidays.

Merry Christmas

Stumpy
skier219
December 26, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Wintergreen was a home run on Christmas day. Very light crowds and excellent snow. Temps were 42-45F, and it was a mostly sunny day. It got a little mushy at the top and bottom of the lifts, but the snow on the slopes was amazing all day long (I was really surprised). It stayed dry to corny all day, and was a delight to ski on. Eagle's Swoop was especially good -- it was my first time on that trail this season, and it was like visiting an old friend.

My wife and I skied for about 4 hours and had a great time. I would definitely ski there again on Christmas. I think we would have skied right to closing time at 10pm if we didn't have a Christmas dinner to get to!
k_alice
December 28, 2007
Member since 11/22/2005 🔗
92 posts
I was out there on Xmas with my husband and 11-year-old son, who were racing down Dobie. My husband was the crazy snowboarder going straight down Dobie to prove he could still go faster than his son (barely). Overall, a fun day.

BTW, if you haven't had the buffet breakfast at the Copper Mine, it's great. We went today for the first time, and will definitely go back.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.