Whitetail?
10 posts
7 users
1k+ views
langleyskier
December 20, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
So i just finished finals today at 10 AM (lets just say that i have spent 10-19 hrs per day in the library for the last week) and my friends from home and i have decided that friday would be a great opportunity to ski whitetail before it gets packed this weekend. Any recent reports from there? I know they have had some great snowmaking opportunities as of late and am expecting pretty good conditions but a personal report is always better than my analysis from webcams.

Ill make sure to post tomorrow night on the conditions to give everyone a heads up for what t expect this weekend.
bri
December 20, 2007
Member since 11/26/2007 🔗
4 posts
I'm skiing whitetail tomorrow also. No firsthand objective opinions yet though. Pass them on if you get any

Langley, '90, by the way.
jimboc
December 20, 2007
Member since 03/30/2004 🔗
260 posts
I am hitting Whitetail tomorrow as well. Last day to use those ski expo free tickets!!!
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
December 20, 2007
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts
It'll be either Whitetail or Liberty tomorrow (Friday) for my son, his friends and me as well. Here's to a great day!

Woody

PS Will try to remember to wear my DCSki pin!
camp
December 20, 2007
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts
I've been at Whitetail 4-5 times this month and it's been better than I expected each time. They last made snow Tuesday night, and I hope they are making it right now and overnight tonight. If so, it should be really good tomorrow. Two more Blues opened up this week under the high-speed so that'll help too.

I'll be at Liberty tomorrow after my kid gets outta school at noon. We'll be on the greens, maybe with a harness.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
December 20, 2007
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
Just got back from Whitetail, 8hr session with my son. The conditions were good, turned a little slushy in pm, then fast again at sunset. They only had three trails open from top of expr quad, angel drop with terrain park, home run, and limelight, but crowds were light and racked up a lot of miles, used freebies from ski expo. HIGHLIGHT of day was the $10 group lessons they give until tomorrow. Son and I had our own advanced instructor for 90 mins, he was good too, a veteran guy named John Nicklaysen (sp?)
langleyskier
December 20, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Sounds great! Cant wait to hit up good old whitetail. I love the place both for its great effort season after season to provide the best skiing possible to the DC area and for the fact it is where I really fell in love with the sport of skiing! Even better part is that my friend, who's father was military, can get $33 tickets from the base which is a price you cant beat (except for the free vouchers)!
langleyskier
December 20, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
 Originally Posted By: bri
Langley, '90, by the way.

Nice! I was the class of '06 so the username is a bit outdated (and misspelled).
langleyskier
December 21, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Report from today:

Was overall a good day considering the very limited terrain open. Angle drop was in top shape and had a solid base so we mainly stayed on it. We ventured over to limelight and the blue/green lift (not sure what that one is called but the green trail had excellent coverage and the blue was only half covered) a few times to mix it up. Limelight had very poor conditions on the bottom 2/3 of the trail which was surprising to me considering the fairly cold weather they have had so far this season and it was also only half open (part under the lift was grass). I would suggest waiting a week or so if you are planning on paying full price to ski but if you really want to get in a day of skiing , whitetail will suffice.
therusty
December 25, 2007
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
Report from today...

They made snow Christmas Eve and the runs at noon were just priceless. FRESHIES!

Limelight is still narrow in spots and thin on the edges. Angel Drop and Home Run are holding up well. The crowds today did not hit until two and were concentrated on the beginner end of the spectrum (i.e. there was a lot of quality vertical to be had today). Temps were in the mid 40s and the snow did get (cough) "soft", but I would still call it bluebird spring skiing.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?