What Happened to Roundtop?
7 posts
6 users
1k+ views
Finsout
December 14, 2007
Member since 01/23/2001 🔗
104 posts
Two years ago they were on top of the freeride scene with great parks and a very proactive management who really put forth a great effort. Last season saw poorly maintained parks that opened late and a total 180 by management. I sent them an email 2 days ago expressing my concerns and got a reply that basically said' go elsewhere'. Big Boulder here I come!
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
December 14, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
As mentioned earlier today in another thread on DCSki, terrain parks are now a part of the snow area scene. What really irritates is when a great ski/snowboarding trail is taken over by a park that in my observations, very few customers use.
Terrain parks are fine, just build new slopes for them, or place then on one side of a major wide trail with a rope tow or some other lift servicing only the park.
Maybe Roundtop got a similar message from their regular customers.
While at Seven Springs on a couple of crowded days last season I could not help but notice the scarcity of folks in the half pipe and using the features in their primary terrain park, while the other trails were full of folks.
The Colonel
\:\)
comprex
December 14, 2007
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts

Roundtop kept NASTAR. Woohoo!
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
December 15, 2007
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,041 posts
I know I'm an old fart gaper but I am disappointed when really good terrain is razed for parks that are under utilized. I'm still fuming that 7S ruined the best glades on the mountain and obscured their historical first rope tow site with their super park. 7S had a nice park complex on the back side of the mountain complete with their own lifts. Although Alpine Meadow Glades was probably on a part of the mountain with the least sustain vertical drop, it was the longest, widest glade on the hill and usually had the best snow. If the park fails, the glades are still gone. It'll take decades to grow back trees. I'll be a dead gaper by then.

Parks and pipes are fine and ski resorts must stay on top of fads to exploit all the profit they can to ensure the future of the sport but care must be taken not to ruin features that can not be replaced or duplicated.
hockeydave
December 15, 2007
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
Yep, LHC, couldn't agree with you more. The Alpine Meadows Glades @ 7S was such a great tree area to ski for the likes of me (a terminal intermediate).
tromano
December 15, 2007
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Funny thing, EVERY time I went to round top the park was awesoem and full of people. MAybe that changed? I don't know, I am jsut surprised that they changed course. Parks are a great way for small mountains to try and ski bigger.

I don't like what 7S did to alpine especially since they seem to love cutting trees for no reason, but I think that slope is a great park location and could give them some regional exposure if they end up hosting any park comps etc... in the future.
Finsout
December 17, 2007
Member since 01/23/2001 🔗
104 posts
A little history for the uninformed. The current parks at RT are Bunker and Recruit. Bunker was created in an open space between Minuteman and the Leap. Recruit was a trial but i was only open once in 10 years so they built the super pipe there. for some reason they scrapped the superpipe and created a park there. so basically they never really 'razed' slopes for parks.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.