New snowboard destination
20 posts
10 users
6k+ views
tromano
December 14, 2007
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Taos Opens for Snowboarders. Effective March 19, 2008.
crunchy
December 14, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
uh oh.. and then there were 3... I can see deer valley one day joining ranks, but i doubt Alta and MRG will ever fold \:\)
wvrocks
December 14, 2007
Member since 11/9/2004 🔗
262 posts
Sweet. I really love that mountain but since I started riding I haven't been back. That will hopefully change next season. Hopefully the transition is smooth and the new riders there treat the place and people with respect.
kwillg6
December 14, 2007
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Aw, shucks! Another gone to the dark side. I hope wvrocks is correct and those who go to ride will be respectful. Regretfully, that's usually the exception, not the rule. Didn't mean to start the ski/board debate.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
kennedy
December 14, 2007
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Hahhhaahahahhahaahaha sweet, I'm already sharpening my edges with malicious intent. \:D
fishnski
December 14, 2007
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
I click on this thread with hopes of making a new start..with thoughts pure as fresh fallen snow...& I See violence raising its ugly head once again!...My Jimmi Sensitive side & My new found Middleground Kwill side says to move on to another read....BUT My Violent side says...Hell yeh..Knock them B-stards out!...They broke my rib up at beach & Ran my girl into the trees at SS over T-Giving....ya got to love em though...they try so hard to be COOL
kwillg6
December 14, 2007
2,066 posts
But, but, but, ya gotta luv em. \:\/ They really try to be cool and some actually pull it off. Why some of my best friends are crabs, but that still doesn't excuse the KMA attitudes of some of the kids out there and that includes two plankers.
Tucker
December 14, 2007
Member since 03/14/2005 🔗
893 posts
...Damn Snowboarders...loosers....good for nothing(except for maybe inventing sidecut and parabolic sidecuts which where then immediateliy transfered to skis....which every downhill ski company today uses...and which when you think about allows hundreds of thousands of uncordinated overwieght middle age men the ability to ski)...
fishnski
December 14, 2007
3,530 posts
Side cuts are for wimps...I still ski the old school 210 straights....I do own some side cuts but prefer my oldy but goody's...Fast & strong!...Snowboarders invented the parabolics? I have heard of another person that claims to have invented the internet also but we won't go there...its nasty!
kwillg6
December 14, 2007
2,066 posts
Why not just buy a couple of 2x6s, nail some boots to them and be a REAL MAN . Next, those knuckle draggers will claim that the Trilogy are snowboarders!!!! ;\)
kennedy
December 14, 2007
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Hey Tucker want to make a trip out to Taos? We can do all those fun snowboarder things we love so much like running down skiers, pushing the snow off the slopes, drag knuckles like kings, wear baggy, nay, inappropriately baggy clothing and listen to that damned infernal rock and or roll music the kids like so much these days. It's the devils music you know.

Once we're done we can go steal cars and burn an effigy of Glen Plake. WOOOOoooooo
Roger Z
December 14, 2007
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Very interesting. Well, I've yet to have a problem with snowboarders out west. Except one time when I followed a snowboard track on a catwalk through the trees in Park City and got sandwiched because they can fit in-between tree spaces that skiers can't, ha ha. But that was my fault (JohnL followed the same path that day and wisely stopped before attempting to ski through the trees- I apparently have no "flight" mode in skiing and sped up when I saw the challenge). Somethign about having thousands of acres of space seems to keep things civilized.

Taos' terrain is conducive for snowboarders- very few flat spots and excellent hike-to terrain. The one thing I worry about is them taking some of their intermediate runs and turning them into snowboard parks. I really wish more resorts would build new runs for snowboard parks rather than consuming their cruisers for the same purpose.

I'm sure things will work out fine at Taos.
tromano
December 14, 2007
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Kennedy, make sure you rut up all the bump lines as well. ;\)
Finsout
December 14, 2007
Member since 01/23/2001 🔗
104 posts
 Originally Posted By: Roger Z
Very interesting. Well, I've yet to have a problem with snowboarders out west. Except one time when I followed a snowboard track on a catwalk through the trees in Park City and got sandwiched because they can fit in-between tree spaces that skiers can't, ha ha. But that was my fault (JohnL followed the same path that day and wisely stopped before attempting to ski through the trees- I apparently have no "flight" mode in skiing and sped up when I saw the challenge). Somethign about having thousands of acres of space seems to keep things civilized.

Taos' terrain is conducive for snowboarders- very few flat spots and excellent hike-to terrain. The one thing I worry about is them taking some of their intermediate runs and turning them into snowboard parks. I really wish more resorts would build new runs for snowboard parks rather than consuming their cruisers for the same purpose.

I'm sure things will work out fine at Taos.

Roger I agree with your statement about creating new trails for parks, but with the advent of twin tip skis they really aren't 'snowboard parks' anymore.
Roger Z
December 14, 2007
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
 Quote:
...with the advent of twin tip skis they really aren't 'snowboard parks' anymore.

Good point! Make that "terrain park" instead of "snowboard park." The concern remains the same though- hopefully Taos will build a new "terrain park" run instead of using one of their existing intermediate runs, if/when they choose to build a terrain park.
kennedy
December 14, 2007
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
That falls under pushing snow off the slope, ideally we like to seek out the bump runs and scrape them flat then whatevers left will be rutted until we decide to build a kicker and session that. I am so excited right now.
wvrocks
December 14, 2007
Member since 11/9/2004 🔗
262 posts
You've got your work cut out for you there, Al's Run could take a while to scrape the bumps flat \:\)

As far as trauma parks go, Taos has one already, the website says it under lift #7 on Maxie's Run.

I think Tucker would love the hikeable terrain there on Kachina Peak and the ridges. Especially after one of the super light/dry dumps they tend to get.
fishnski
December 14, 2007
3,530 posts
 Originally Posted By: kwillg6
Why not just buy a couple of 2x6s, nail some boots to them and be a REAL MAN . Next, those knuckle draggers will claim that the Trilogy are snowboarders!!!! ;\)
...Kwill I apologize...I Got hit with a left Hook by Tucker & was wobbled while posting...Yes I am a wimp & need my sidecuts to hit whales & bumps & stuff But if you give me a groomed blaster...My 6 foot 8 inch 280 l.BS ..All Man Body. needs those Planks you speak of..For SURE!!...Middle Ground..Middleground.... Stay with the pack...I'm tryin..
Tucker
December 14, 2007
Member since 03/14/2005 🔗
893 posts
YES...I've been workin on my left hook for weeks now...all that bag time is paying off finally...I am training towards my master plan for the 2008 year...first (after pow season) I plan to compete in the new AMerican Gladiators series,,,then after an a## kicking performance I plan to put as much weight on as possible(hardies frisco bugers and funnel cake diet) then compete to be the Biggest Loser...with my winnings from both shows I will chase fluffy white gnar again in the 2007-2008 winter...
snowslider
December 19, 2007
Member since 06/21/2004 🔗
42 posts
ALTA is allowing snowboarders via snowcat trips.
http://www.alta.com/pages/snowcat.php

I think the transition should go well. jerks will be jerks, of course.
i would like to see some ski/boarder patrol phased in prior to the change perhaps. just to begin a small presence on the mountain.

this below is taken from ridetaos.org:
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 14 2007
Why Now
For a long time the discussion has been more focused on when we would open, and we feel like now is the right time. Taos has a long-standing tradition of being family oriented, and now with so many young people snowboarding, we are turning away more and more families, particularly families that traditionally come to Taos. Opening to snowboarding allows us to refocus on being a family oriented mountain.

Additionally, as Taos Ski Valley, Inc. began to consider expansion and it's base area redevelopment plan, it was clear that the "snowboarding question" would have to be given real consideration. It was determined by the Blake family and administrative staff that snowboarding would become an integral part of Taos Ski Valley's future. We look forward to sharing our storied resort with this brand new audience.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.