Utah getting pounded with fresh snow!
16 posts
8 users
3k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
December 8, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Alta only has 12 of 118 runs open, but!!!

Current Conditions as of: Sat December 8th, 2007 at 04:25:00
Settled Snow Depth:
49"

Snowfall (Past 12 hrs):
14"
Snowfall(Past 24 hrs):
21 "
Snowfall this Season: 110"
Sky Cover:
Snowing
Ridgetop Winds:
Light WSW
Mid Mountain Temp:(°F)
22°
Highway 210 Status:
4x4 or Chains Required
Forecast for Today 24" more today and tonight.
Roger Z
December 8, 2007
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Colorado is beating them right now.

Wolf Creek has just received their SECOND 50+ inch snowstorm in a week, skiing on 100% of their terrain.

Monarch just received 5 1/2 feet of snow in a single storm, and is skiing on pretty much all of their terrain except Mirkwood.

Avalanche watches and warnings are up all over the backcountry.

Even in the Dillon/Frisco area, snow totals are around 30 inches as of this morning, with another 10+ forecast for the day and tonight. Keystone is going on 1,700 acres of terrain including two bowls, Breck is up to 750 acres of terrain and Vail has been skiing on over 1000 acres of terrain for a week now.

I think Colorado has lost contact with Steamboat. I don't even want to know what's going on out there.

And Aspen got schlacked in the LAST storm (don't know what's going on in this storm- but the forecasts have generally been for heavier snow west of the 10 Mile Range than east of it).

It's gone from nothing to everything in about a week's time in CO. I think the only thing holding back 100% terrain is that these storms are the settling base- probably need another one to get some of the real gnarly stuff up and running for the year.

I'm heading to Loveland/Keystone/Breck next weekend- will provide a report back on how things are looking out there. I'm leaning toward Breckenridge and Loveland, skipping Keystone- though if A-Basin gets more terrain open I might skip Breck, too- we'll see.
December 9, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
If this is "losing", bring on second place! Picture of the day from yesterday at Alta: http://www.alta.com/pages/pod.php

The Colonel \:\)
Roger Z
December 9, 2007
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Whoo hoo yeah you can't complain about winning and losing when you're in a fight like this, can ya? \:\) Breck photos from this weekend:

http://homepage.mac.com/saemisch/PowderDay%20Photography/Blog/Blog05-06.html

Loveland:

http://www.skiloveland.com/Pics/photos/myalbum/seanfieldspowder.jpg

And check the "Big Snow" video from Breck:

http://breckenridge.snow.com/BreckBase/wrap/theme4/flash/videoGallery0607.asp

Keystone has that stupid flash player, so I can't get a direct link. But the latest video there is quite sweet. Wish I was better at hacking.

Anyway, big weekend out in the Rockies. Probably won't be nearly as much pow-pow this coming weekend, but this ski trip I've got planned has gone from looking like a bust to a bonanza right quick!
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
KevR
December 9, 2007
Member since 01/27/2004 🔗
786 posts
I'd guess 2-4' depending on your exact location ... I heard vail opened up the back bowls and the blue sky basin or whatever its called but i did not go there myself.
tromano
December 9, 2007
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Alta was great today and yesterday. They opened up ballroom this morning and it was my deepest I ever skied 40"+. But 47" base isn't much and people were still hitting rocks. Utah will be ready for Xmas but is still below where they should be right now. Collins and wildcat were open. Sugar loaf wasn't really open supreme nada. Mineral isn't open. The high T just opened Sunday afternoon with super gnar coverage. By next week they will be able to open more stuff but I am thinking they still need another storm before its time to put the rock skis away.

Edit to add: alta so far is having the best early season of anywhere in UT.
JohnL
December 9, 2007
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
 Quote:
But 47" base isn't much and people were still hitting rocks. ... By next week they will be able to open more stuff but I am thinking they still need another storm before its time to put the rock skis away.

Until you get ~100" base, you'll still need rock skis at Alta (or skis you don't mind gouging), especially at the top of some of the ridges which can get wind-blown. Of course, it depends upon how hard you work the mountain.

The best stuff is still not open.
December 9, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
tromano,
Beautiful pictures!
I have skied Alta many times...once got involved with a mini avalanch.
While agree that a big base is essential to skiing Alta, especially off the regular trails and groomed, I would not folks to get the idea that an 100 inch base was essential, or don't go to Alta.
The Colonel \:\)
squirrel
December 10, 2007
Member since 11/30/2007 🔗
19 posts
alta is the shit! the snowflake shall never die!
JohnL
December 10, 2007
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
 Quote:
I would not folks to get the idea that an 100 inch base was essential, or don't go to Alta.

I suggest that all tourists never go to Alta. You really need a 200 inch base before your ski bases are safe. If you choose to ignore my advice, you're best off if you stick to the groomers or the wide-open faces like Ballroom.
tromano
December 10, 2007
998 posts
Ballroom was money when they first opened it yesterday morning.
JohnL
December 10, 2007
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
 Quote:
Ballroom was money when they first opened it yesterday morning.

If it has been closed a while (normally due to avi issues), it can be real nice at first. (But any terrain that opens after an extended closure is bound to be sweet.) Ballroom gets tracked out real fast since it is so visible and accessible and not that steep.

With most of the mountain open, Ballroom is not the first place I'd head on a powder day.
tromano
December 10, 2007
998 posts
John, I agree alta is the kind of palce that its really big and spread out and you need a plan / experience if you want to hit untracked stuff. I don't know what that plan is but it seems to me that the longer traverses seem to hold more goods the further out you go so you can start working in a section and keep skiing untracked the further you traverse out from the lift. On a powder day you could hit wildcat or supreme and work in this manner pretty safely I would think. On the drive out I noticed that wildcat still was relatively untracked out the further towards skiers left you went. And this was with more skier concentrated in just that one area.
Crush
December 10, 2007
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
 Originally Posted By: JohnL
 Quote:
I would not folks to get the idea that an 100 inch base was essential, or don't go to Alta.

I suggest that all tourists never go to Alta. You really need a 200 inch base before your ski bases are safe. If you choose to ignore my advice, you're best off if you stick to the groomers or the wide-open faces like Ballroom.

... actually i think more like 600 inches, so in an average year just forget about it and go groomers...
December 10, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Try the St. Catherine's area to the left of the skiable Alta slopes when looking up.
It can stay deep in there for longer, and few crowds due to the walk required from the top lift.
The Colonel
MadMonk
December 11, 2007
Member since 12/27/2004 🔗
235 posts
Or you could just go to Solitude and ski untracked in Honeycomb Canyon for a day or two after a storm.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?