14 posts
8 users
5k+ views
therusty
December 5, 2007
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
Just announced!
Today will complete day 2 of round the clock snowmaking. Tomorrow looks like we'll make it 3.

Early season deals!
$29 Learn to ski or ride (Lift/rental/lesson package)
$10 Lessons

Get your Xmas shopping down quick. It's ski season!
KevR
December 5, 2007
Member since 01/27/2004 🔗
786 posts
Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhh....
MichaelB
December 6, 2007
Member since 11/20/2000 🔗
61 posts
How is it possible that they will only open Upper and Lower Angel Drop. I am looking at the webcam and Limelight looks schweet!

Its not worth the trip up there to fight the traffic on upper and lower angel. It will be chewed to pieces by noon.
therusty
December 6, 2007
422 posts
Do you know that old saying: "beauty is only surface deep"? You can see on some of the other cams where the natural snow is already fading through to dirt. I suspect that Limelight is going to be about 12-18 hours short of enough snowmaking to open on Saturday.

What's new is that TUBING will be open on opening day. This is a first for tubing!
langleyskier
December 6, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Should be an amazing opening day! Views are always great there when the valley below is snow covered
therusty
December 7, 2007
422 posts
Well, the forecast has changed since midweek and there's a chance round the clock snowmaking can continue through tomorrow morning. That might be enough to get Limelight open on Saturday. The snow conditions page usually lists "opening soon" or "opening _____" when a trail is close to opening.

Rusty's forecast:
Nok Nok - You are now hearing the sound of opportunity.
With a 50% chance of precipitation (I don't use the "r" or "i" words when talking about Whitetail) now forecast for tomorrow morning, the crowds that are normally driven by fresh snow will be held in check. Because the temps will be rising, the snow should be soft and the skiing should be shweet. Please be careful on the drive up. There's a decent chance of black "i" (umm, slippery conditions) on Blair's Valley road.
MichaelB
December 7, 2007
Member since 11/20/2000 🔗
61 posts
Rusty,

OK OK, so you yanked my chain enough. I'll be the one standing at the ticket counter at 8:00 am waiting for them to open the window ;\) Whitetail is the best game in town. I was gonna make the trek up to 7springs cause the North Face is opening, but a 2 1/2 hour car ride from Frederick both ways kills the whole day, which is exactly what my wife would do to me if I left early and came home late since she's on the mend with a bum ankle. So, I'm gonna say my prayers before bed and dream of first tracks on Limelight \:\) Besides its opening day and there's no sense pushing the envelope yet. This is a good chance to get into ski shape!
therusty
December 9, 2007
422 posts
Wow what a great first day!
The drizzle fizzled out by the time the lifts started turning and we had an hour or two of blue sky around mid morning. I was told that the early morning snow was great, but I did hear some crisp snow on the first run. Rusty didn't get any personal skiing in until 5PM. By that time Angel Drop was a little mushy and actually bumped up in spots. What wasn't noticeable were the rocks. They were all well covered, even in the bumps. This is why Limelight wasn't open yet. Limelight has a few thin spots that aren't skiable yet although there were some poachers. It's going to lose a lot this week and thus need another 2-3 days of snow making by the time we can make more comes around (the way I read the forecast). The good news is that the slopes I skied on had enough snow to last through 2 weeks of warm weather. Lots of kids were sessioning the park last night. A good time was had by all.

Very few people were taking advantage of the $10 lessons. A new rule this year is that all group lessons will be 90 minutes long, even if there are only 1 or two people (that used to be cut to an hour). Hello MacFly! This is an absolutely incredible deal. If you are an advanced skier, you can basically get a lift ticket and a 90 minute private lesson for less than the cost of a 60 minute private. Ok, so there's only one slope open off the top. The snow is great and it's more than good enough for that warm up first day of the season.
langleyskier
December 9, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Should be great again next weekend if the snow holds. Looks right now like they should be able to make some snow friday night and some/most of the day saturday and have bluebird skies... i really hope the next wave of cold holds so that they can make up for their horrible christmas season last year
RiverHill
December 9, 2007
Member since 01/16/2005 🔗
28 posts
Rusty,

Do you know if the lessons will be 90 minutes at Liberty as well?
therusty
December 18, 2007
422 posts
Sorry RiverHill - I was up in Vermont for a spell.

The last I heard from Liberty (and according to their web site), their normal class lessons were an hour long. Whitetail's class lessons have always been 90 minutes, but we'd cut them to an hour if there were only 1 or 2 people. This year, the lessons at Whitetail are all scheduled for 90 minutes no matter what the class size is.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
December 19, 2007
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
 Originally Posted By: therusty
Sorry RiverHill - I was up in Vermont for a spell.

The last I heard from Liberty (and according to their web site), their normal class lessons were an hour long. Whitetail's class lessons have always been 90 minutes, but we'd cut them to an hour if there were only 1 or 2 people. This year, the lessons at Whitetail are all scheduled for 90 minutes no matter what the class size is.

Very interesting. I think I am taking the family to Whitetail tomorrow 12/20 and just may go for the $10 early season lesson deal. Thanks for the reminder on this. I wonder if any friends of DCSki will be teaching group lessons tomorrow?
Scott - DCSki Editor
December 19, 2007
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Whitetail just opened Limelight and Home Run today, bringing the open trail count to 10.
Crush
December 19, 2007
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
hey also i skied there this past sunday for free! they honored the free ski liberty coupons from the ski expo! cool!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.