Glade trail at Wintergreen
6 posts
5 users
2k+ views
skier219
December 4, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
I got WIntergreen's "Overlook" magazine in the mail today, and there's a paragraph describing a new glade trail, called "Sunrise Glades", between Tyro, Tequila, and upper Sunrise. It's a natural snow trail, so I am sure it will be rare to see it open, but this is pretty cool nonetheless. I look forward to trying it out.

The magazine is available online here: http://www.wintergreenresort.com/pdf/overlook_winter_2007.pdf

(there's also a good article about the snowmaking system)

A trail map that shows the location of the glades is here:
http://www.wintergreenresort.com/pdf/trailmap_0708.pdf

wgo
December 4, 2007
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
I saw that in the Overlook magazine as well. Very cool news. I've skied those trees a few times and thought for the last couple years that they should make it an official glade. The area actually seems to get a lot of blown snow from the snowmaking system, so I think it will actually be skiable more often than you might think.
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
December 5, 2007
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts
That's great news, skier 219. Hurray for Wintergreen!

Wgo has a good point that this treed area often fills with drifted machine-made snow anyway. I'll bet they'll eventually aim a few guns in that direction even though they caution that Sunrise Glades will be natural snow only. The situation seems similar to that at Devil's Drop Glades (not listed on the map) at Wisp.

The need (and hope) for glades at WGN has been the subject of more than one post here in recent years.

Woody
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
December 5, 2007
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
woopee. does this mean they have done some pruning and clearing in that area ? should be fun. back in the day we would shoot the trees on the outer side of tyro, but it looks like houses have now overtaken the area.

iff they have more than dobie open i could make it up there 12/15. i am hoping for more.
skier219
December 5, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
I have been anxiously awaiting Wintegreen's opening. I honestly though they would make it by today or tomorrow, but it looks like Saturday is the sure bet and Friday is still possible.

Since we are going into a warmup starting on Friday, I have a feeling they wanted to make snow for as long as the could, straight into Thursday. They probably won't be able to fire up the guns at all for at least 5-7 days after this current run.
Aaron
December 6, 2007
Member since 01/12/2005 🔗
54 posts
i've definitely ventured into those trees after a rare storm (at the recommendation of off-duty ski patrol..) it's nice they're an actual trail now so i won't get my ticket pulled for that.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.