" Its the wraparound stupid....yeh the wraparound!
16 posts
8 users
3k+ views
fishnski
December 3, 2007
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Quoted by the great TGD!..Well its 430am & the temp is dropping like a rock. I said back on thur morn that it would be cold enogh for snow in the canaan area sometime after 2am...I(weather model) was about 3 hours too fast but my original predict of 2(2000') to 5 inches(4500') by noon tues still looks good...wish the wind had a better trajectory but I'm hoping it swings around for better LE latter on today & tonite.. hold on to your hats ...it will blow HARD! Its getting easier for amatures like me to read the weather..only diff is we get our info 12 hours after the pros get theirs.

Ther are predicts of a foot & a half for the valley by weeks end on another thread which all depends on the clipper & its path as it rolls down from the upper midwest....but even the total amount from the clipper depends on the
wraparound stupid!....Yeh,,,the wraparound!!!
David
December 3, 2007
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Plenty of white stuff for my commute this morning....

45 at 3AM.........20 at 9:30AM

GOD BLESS THE ALPPS!!!
fishnski
December 3, 2007
3,530 posts
& god bless the snow god(God himself?) who keeps fighting back! Thanks for the grafics David....its 72 here at my house in the carolinas!
David
December 3, 2007
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Now here is something I have been thinking about for a while and I know one of you weather gurus can explain it to me. Why is the temperature and pressure inversely proportional when the temp drops very quickly like this. What is the relationship the 2 have? Does the pressure increase because the temp. drops, or does the temp. drop because the pressure increase???? Any explanation would be appreciated....
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
langleyskier
December 3, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
David, good question but the answer is not really based on one or the other. The pressure rises because the low pressure (trough) has passed. The temperature decreases because of cold air advection resulting from the wind blowing from high to low pressure; therefore blowing from the NNW where it is colder and therefore decreasing temperatures (lows spin counterclockwise). Im not sure if that really makes sense but here is a map that may make it a little easier to understand:

-the lines are called "isobars" and are lines of equal surface pressure

You can see the rain and storms along the "trough" of low pressure. This trough (line of sever storms) is where the cold front is located. Out in front of the front wind is blowing from the S while behind the front is blowing from the N. Also, relating to this is why it gets warm when a cold front is approaching--- winds blow from th south as a result of the counterclockwise spin of a low. On this map the warm front would be the slightly crooked area of isobars near the northern PA boarder.

A whole other topic is why highs and lows spin (lows counterclockwise, highs clockwise). Basically we take into account the "pressure gradient force" (idea that wind blows from high to low pressure), the coreolis force (effect of the earth's spin), and low level friction due to the ground. The net effect is wind that spins clockwise away from a high pressure center and counterclockwise towards a low pressure center.

Hopefully this makes a little bit of sense for the non weather geeks
fishnski
December 3, 2007
3,530 posts
YOU HAD TO ASK! Now that there is funny!! I was biding my time for L-Skier to hop on this one....Believe me L-Skier was on point but what was funny was the fact that, that WAS his easiest language to understand at this point.... I knew that with his schooling he was going to be way above our(at least mine) paygrade!....Let me try..our weather moves west to east...low pressure spins counter clockwise & high pressure spins clockwise Therefore if north is cold & south is warm then the temp depends on which side of both the low & the high you are on as they slide by from west to east..the low right now is heading away from the Alpps(we are on the cold side now) & colder highpressure is filling in.(we are on the cold side of the high)...... highs are dry systems & lows are wet...if it wasn't for the lake effect we would not be snowy now..just COLD!
langleyskier
December 3, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
haha... ya i tried to simplify the weather mumbojumbo but that is a good basic outline... beleive me... i would be thrilled if that was it for what i need to know for meteo. right now we have derivatives and integrations upon derivatives and integrations that create equations that last about a quarter page. so this is as simple as meteo can get unfortunately! the important thing (like fishnski said) is that we have the lakes and mnts so instead of cold dry air we are getting some snow in the mnts and throughout most of central PA north!!.... and not to brag, but its snowing like crazy outside here right now and the temp is 32 and falling!

oh... and look for some snow in DC on wednesday... probably 1/2-2 inches in most areas mixing with rain and sleet to the south!... clipper should dump decent snow across lowlands and prob up to 10 inches in the mountains (with and additional 6-10 today through tomorrow night)!
fishnski
December 3, 2007
3,530 posts
I just read your explanation again L-ski & it was actually pretty good! You might teach one day.....As of 4pm we have 2.6 inches in Canaan....its been blowing 40 to 50 up there! the dolly cam is down % the pointy Knob cam shows a blown off field with temps staying steady around 19.5 degrees all day....its winter folks!
fishnski
December 4, 2007
3,530 posts
Well 5 days ago I said by this time we would have up to 5 inches at our higher elevations with a half foot at MPC...I see 4 at glady,wv at 2800'... 5.3 at laurel summit,pa.. 7 at SS.. & 7.7 at Canaan hgts above CV!...that means i shorted MPC by 2 inches....they got 8....8 inches of B-utiful untouchable powder!...now on to the next round...CLIPPER!...I think i'm driving the 8 hours for TL opening!
jonjon1
December 4, 2007
Member since 09/11/2006 🔗
187 posts
Heck this lake effect isn't done yet. I measured about 8" as of 8 o'clock this morning here in Davis, and its been snowing very steadily since and the radar looks pretty good for a few more hours of fluff.
yellowsnow
December 4, 2007
Member since 12/15/2005 🔗
289 posts
jon,
Your weather site is dead...any correlation there?
(PS, not trying to be a smart arse, I find your site very useful and I'm just trying to give you a heads up!)
jonjon1
December 4, 2007
Member since 09/11/2006 🔗
187 posts
Yeah, the computer I link my weather info too is about to kick the bucket. Freezes up every six hours or so and unless I restart it, it will only display the last info before it froze.

I will hopefully have it going more consistently soon.

P.S. Still snowing pretty heavily.
comprex
December 4, 2007
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Well, if it's frozen....
crunchy
December 4, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
 Originally Posted By: jonjon1

P.S. Still snowing pretty heavily.

ahhhhh, its killing me knowing its dumping up there and I'm workin' in rat-race central right now. Another 6-7" expected tomorrow too!

Ah well, I just gotta keep telling myself that its not all that great for skiing yet since there is no base under it, but still...
fishnski
December 4, 2007
3,530 posts
Come on Cruncherunch..My friends who just moved back to davis said they got 3 foot drifts in their yard! Can you overcome the call of the nordic?..Well this wraparound exceded all my weather watching expatations..pretty impresive!..This clipper that will come in on the tail of this w-around is the same storm system that has been wrecking havock on the pacific NW...Good stuff, Unfortunately the weather around here cannot stay arctic & snowy for too long(its still early in the season) & I'm watching for any rain showers for this w-end that if look harmless I will make that long trek to ski whatever TL can get open.They are lame but i'm usually game!...cv is lamer...bring on "ALMOST HEAVEN"!
tgd
December 5, 2007
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
 Originally Posted By: fishnski
I'm watching for any rain showers for this w-end that if look harmless I will make that long trek to ski whatever TL can get open.They are lame but i'm usually game!...cv is lamer...bring on "ALMOST HEAVEN"!

Andy and anyone thinking of the Tline opening (Jimmy? Kwillg6). Inside scoop I received last night is that only the beginner terrain will be open this weekend - bunny slope, white out. I think Salamander is doubtful. Call ahead...

Tom

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.