Hidden Valley Website
11 posts
10 users
3k+ views
snosnugums
November 28, 2007
Member since 04/10/2006 🔗
126 posts
Does anyone have trouble getting the new HV website to load. I tried accessing at work and our virus/spam/pop-up blocker software will not allow the website to be loaded on my computer. I thought maybe it was my computer, so I tried other work place computers. No luck. That means the 600 folks who work for our company cannot access the HV website. Assuming other companies have similar virus/spam/pop-up blocker software, then not many folks are going to be able to access the site when there at the office. Additionally, I have never got the web cam to work.
There are no trail maps, mention of restuarants, real estate or other useful information. I realize that they have accomplished an amazing amount of work in three months, but they really need to take a look at the website and make sure that it is very accessible.
rdytooski
November 28, 2007
Member since 11/16/2005 🔗
40 posts
The website is designed to play using Adobe Flash a common way to have websites "play" Some corporations feel that it is a security risk to allow the Flash into there network. I am a network administrator of a small company 150 employees and deal with these types of requests everyday. Due to the nature of my employer we do allow flash into our network. The webcams use an Active X component that must be downloaded and installed on the first time running. Again depends on how secure your company IT department feels what is "Business Necessary"
Also even at home you may have certian things disabled not allowing the Flash or Active X installs.

But still a big hurray to the NEW HV

Also who broke Webcam #1?
Straight Shot
November 28, 2007
Member since 08/16/2007 🔗
53 posts
The so called "problem" right now besides what rdytooski said is that Buncher has hired an outside source, and updating everything with all the other stuff that you want to hear about isn't going to jump up immediately from I've been told. I'm sure once they have a full schedule of all their activites and exactly what all their guests have to look forward to, they will have their web team put it up on the new site.
JimT
November 29, 2007
Member since 08/25/2007 🔗
11 posts
I work for a company that has very tight firewall security and have never had any issues getting on the sight or using the webcam's. Was just on this morning and there is new news...more snow guns arrived. Both cameras worked fine. The stationary webcam #2 and the fully functional webcam #1. At the end of the day, the weather hasn't cooperated with natural snow. Personally, I would rather Buncher continue focusing on readying the resort at the expense of a cool looking website. Once the slopes open, who has time for web surfing anyway?
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
November 29, 2007
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,580 posts
I also cannot access the web site from work but can access from the home machine. Websites with alot of bells and whistles when opening get squashed by our firewall software I believe although I'm no geek. Agree that there may be more important fish to fry but they will need to address this issue at some point. I continue to be impressed by the commitment of the Bunchers to get HV in shape.
JohnL
November 29, 2007
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,563 posts
 Quote:
Personally, I would rather Buncher continue focusing on readying the resort at the expense of a cool looking website. Once the slopes open, who has time for web surfing anyway?

I disagree. And I'm a Tech Geek maxximus and a hard-core ski bum Glen-Plakus. Web sites must, must, must, must, must, be functional. It is a very simple binary test: it works or it doesn't work. Period.

If the web site does not work, then why should I buy the product? I'm looking for a web site that simply tells me are you open, how much does it cost to buy a ticket, what are the conditions, and what trails are open? Eff the Flash or RIA and provide basic Internet information for the customers.

And I'm a hard-core advocate of just give me the skiing places like Mad River Glen. And BTW, their website doesn't suck too badly.
jeffo4
November 30, 2007
Member since 08/24/2007 🔗
134 posts
But how many times have you been misled by a good web site. Through "adwords" and pay per click people that are not really players in a market come up first in a search. HV is not worried about missing a few people this year it is more about establishing a brand not getting money now. I agree that get the basics functioning then worry about getting new customers
snosnugums
November 30, 2007
Member since 04/10/2006 🔗
126 posts
Look - my company has 600 employees and not one of them can access the Hidden Valley website. How many other companies and employess can't access the website??? because of the flash BS they have when you open the site. We can access the 7Springs website, we can access the Wisp website, we can access the Snowshoe website, we can access the Timberline website, we can access all of the Snowtime websites,etc, etc. but se can't access the HV website. On my home computer it takes a long time to load the web site and no matter how many times I have tried, I can't view the webcams on my home computer. I have no problem with any other ski resort web site. Whom ever is developing the website, in three months, they can't even get a trail map on the website. I suggest that it is time to get another company to do their website because who ever is doing the website is not doing a good job. Everything else Buncher is doing is first rate,
bawalker
December 1, 2007
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
It's possible there is an internet routing issue with the website. If maintainers have uploaded the site and it works on their end and they have messed with the DNS, it could cause many people to not see it, to load poorly or not load at all. That is possibly why at the company of 600 people that if the routers and path to HV on the net itself is having issue, none of them in the office could view it. I wouldn't be so hasty to instantly declare HV the problem, but rather take a look and if some can load and some can't, it could be a net routing issue or even there server being overloaded, it could be a host of issues.
Leo
December 2, 2007
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
359 posts
I have never had any problems with the site at work or home. Including with loading speed at work where I have a marginal, shared DSL connection. Or with the web cams, which work great.

I think it's a good, functional site. The most legitimate complaint I have heard is lack of a trail map. And quite honestly, at this point, it doesn't seem like a huge deal to me. I am sure ultimately one will be available on the site.

For Hidden Valley, a web site is most importantly an image and web presence issue. And I think they have done a good job vastly improving their image and web presence with the new site.
WPABoarder
December 2, 2007
Member since 01/20/2006 🔗
22 posts
I haven't had any problems getting on at work or at home. Neither have any of my co-workers. The interactive web camera is great. I had the opportunity to meet representatives of Buncher and they indicated that the current web-site was only a temporary site and that the actual site is to be launched in December. Hopefully when it comes out many of the problems some of you are having will be resolved and they will have a trail map on it. In the mean time the transition at the resort from last year is amazing.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.