Two Great Things!
5 posts
5 users
1k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
November 21, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
First, I want to wish all of my fellow DCSkiers a Wonderful Thanksgiving!
Made even more wonderful by the first mid Atlantic Snow Report for the winter of 2007-2008 appearing in my IN box today. Sure conditions are not perfect, but the skiing at Snowshoe today is a harbinger of great things to come, and sure beats skiing around here in May or October. It only gets better from here on out.
Again, Happy Thanksgiving!
The Colonel \:\)
jb714
November 21, 2007
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
One more thing to be thankful for is the much brighter picture for skiing in the Laurel Highlands thanks to Buncher's purchase of Hidden Valley. At least once (or perhaps twice - can't quite remember), HV was within hours of a sheriff's sale for unpaid taxes. If that had happened, we'd have been left with only 7 Springs. Don't get me wrong - I love 7 Springs (I buy multiple season passes there each year for myself and my wife/daughters)but if 7 Springs had no competition it would have been detrimental to the winter sports picture in the Mid-Atlantic.

Three cheers for the Buncher Group.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
November 22, 2007
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Hijacking the Col's thread:
I'm grateful for the opportunity to share skiing with my kids. It's one of the few things we all get a kick out of together.
I also like the way skiing makes an old man feel like a kid again.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody.
JohnL
November 22, 2007
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
 Quote:
I also like the way skiing makes an old man feel like a kid again.

I'll ditto that. Plus the fact that skiing is a sport where having some extra weight on you is an advantage. After today's dinner, I'm a better skier.
Crush
November 23, 2007
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
 Originally Posted By: jb714
... Don't get me wrong - I love 7 Springs (I buy multiple season passes there each year for myself and my wife/daughters)...

heh u know they are *all* makin' snow that's so fine. OK so i thought about two things for the past 24 hrs and here they are:

1) Thank you for 7 springs b/c that's the place i made my first turn on skis ever in my entire life hurtling down wagner - faster than the snowflake falling out of a nearly-starry sky.

2) Thank you Olle Larsson for showing me what you did; there truly is no better thing than being able to move your eyes to anywhere you want to ski and have your body go on autopilot and do it.

and thanks for this one - I highly recommend the below if you ski:
This one says in words and pic all you need to know ... but if your like me u need someone to feel/show it to you ...
http://www.franconiaskiclub.com/PDFs/slalom.pdf

and here they are - these guys are the best in the world - from one of our local instructors' site (rock on Greg)
http://www.youcanski.com/en/features/coaches.htm

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?