Snowcat - Prinoth BR 350 Sherpa Winch cat
3 posts
3 users
8k+ views
SeaRide
November 15, 2007
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
237 posts
How many of you have seen this kind of snowcat that use winch cable system to climb steep hill to do the grooming job? I think it's an awesome machine that I have ever came across.

http://blog.tellurideskiresort.com/photos/sample/images/81/425x283.aspx

More info on new snowcats at Telluride here -->Dave's Blog (Telluride Ski Resort in CO)

comprex
November 15, 2007
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
I have.

It's really fun to watch two of them operate in tandem in between trees. And you thought parallel parking was hard.

I'm trying to find information on a groomer design that was supposed to groom moguls. Here is the patent, to a guy who was head of snowmaking at Hunter Mountain for a while.

mountain:

I'd love to get a real-life pic of that thing. There is supposed to be a 4-piece tiller somewhere up there, I don't think that's it though.
therusty
November 15, 2007
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
I don't know if I've seen that particular winch cat, but I've seen a few in action. When you see them from far off, it's pretty easy to not be impressed. It isn't until you know how it easy it is to lose control of a groomer on a steep slope, how expensive those things are and/or see them up close that the cats performance becomes impressive.

I think the 350 is the model that Whitetail got this year, but I don't believe we need to use a winch to groom anything.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.