webcams
13 posts
6 users
5k+ views
yellowsnow
November 2, 2007
Member since 12/15/2005 🔗
289 posts
Everybody probably knows the Dolly Sods air quality webcam was down for months, and it's been back up for awhile now. Does it seem like the angle of the view changed slightly? Didn't it pan further to the 'right' before, with more of a view of Mt. Porte Crayon?
http://www.fsvisimages.com/doso1/doso1.html

And the guy that has the Pointy Knob webcam finally got back on-line....his was dead for months, too. Nice image today looking across the golf course:
http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/TWV60S/1/show.html

And the Dry Fork webcam seems to be working, but very poor image (?)
http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/dandnet/1/show.html
rmcva
November 2, 2007
Member since 01/28/2004 🔗
187 posts

Appears cam is slightly zoomed in (left and right are chopped).
fishnski
November 2, 2007
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
The Weather instruments are still down though
wvrocks
November 2, 2007
Member since 11/9/2004 🔗
262 posts
And the Dry Fork webcam seems to be working, but very poor image (?)
http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/dandnet/1/show.html[/quote]

I really need to upgrade that camera. Its literally a $15 unit. Anyone have a recommendation on a decent, fairly inexpensive (<$200) webcam? Weatherproof/wireless would be nice so I wouldn't get the glare from shooting through a window.
yellowsnow
November 2, 2007
289 posts
Wow, wvrocks, didn't realize that was your cam. And by the way, I see the image is now just fine...must have been early morning bright sun in the window or some such thing?
wvrocks
November 2, 2007
Member since 11/9/2004 🔗
262 posts
Yeah, it gets a ton of glare in the morning. The sun shines straight into it for a couple hours everyday, especially as we get later in the year. I may try to extend the cord on it and mount it outside under the eaves upstairs and see how it does. That might angle it away from the direct sun some too. Right now it just barely reaches that window. The resolution is crap no matter where its mounted though.
fishnski
November 2, 2007
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Its much appreciated WV..& you rock!..I'll pass on a donation when you want to upgrade.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
November 2, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Anybody know anybody that could get the Dolly Sods camera pointed a little more left to get some of the trails at Timberline? It used to cover this area.
The Colonel \:\)
yellowsnow
November 2, 2007
289 posts
Colonel,
You might try sending an email to the address on the website.
I did that back when the camera and weather station was down for so long. It took ages, but I was stunned that I actually got a reply from someone...although I suspect my email really had nothing to do with getting the site back up...but you never know.
crunchy
November 2, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
if someone can teach me how to run a webcam, I can put one in my back window since i have a clear view of all 3 areas \:\)

whitegrass and CV ski area. tline is to the left if I zoom out
yellowsnow
November 2, 2007
289 posts
Nice view, crunchy...I'm guessing that's Windwood, looking across the runway?
wvrocks
November 3, 2007
Member since 11/9/2004 🔗
262 posts
Mine was pretty simple to install. Its set up on the computer that records my weather station data. That computer is always on and connected to the internet so it works well. If I had dial up it would be a bit more complicated just because you would have to set it up to dail out periodically. Anyway, I simply plugged in the usb webcam, set up the software, set up my account on weatherunderground.com and away we go. I'm using a freeware program called FreeWCAM 3.7. It interfaces very nicely with FreeWX-WI which is the software for my weather station.
crunchy
November 5, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
yeah, pretty cool seeing little planes taking off 100ft from your back door.

thanks for the webcam tips wvrocks. all i have there is an old laptop tho, so it might be a little shaky \:\)
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.