article on Snowshoe in Skiing
17 posts
7 users
5k+ views
crunchy
October 31, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
well kinda, its just a feature on Snowshoe apres' skiing \:\)
David
October 31, 2007
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Kind of a derogatory one too...
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
October 31, 2007
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
well, you reap what you sow...
Ullr
October 31, 2007
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Details!!
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
David
November 1, 2007
2,444 posts
 Originally Posted By: Ullr
Details!!

Just a writer trying to feel better about her existence by downgrading others...
David
November 1, 2007
2,444 posts
 Originally Posted By: pagamony
well, you reap what you sow...

See, that is where YOU are wrong. I don't "sow".
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
November 1, 2007
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
eh ?
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
November 1, 2007
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Is this online or only on the paper pub?
David
November 1, 2007
2,444 posts
I've only seen it in the paper copy...
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
November 1, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
OK, where in soft copy? Anybody got the linK?
The Colonel \:\)
David
November 1, 2007
2,444 posts
I could scan the article and post it but that would probably be considered plagiarism. Any thoughts?? If you guys don't think it is a big deal then I could do that tomorrow morning while wasting an hour or two in the library...
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
November 1, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
David,
Probably not a good idea to copy and post...might get Scott in trouble!
What month and year was the article included in Skiing magazine?
David
November 1, 2007
2,444 posts
 Originally Posted By: The Colonel
David,
Probably not a good idea to copy and post...might get Scott in trouble!
What month and year was the article included in Skiing magazine?

Yeah, I didn't really think that was a good idea either.... The article was in November 2007 issue (the newest one out).
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
November 2, 2007
1,535 posts
Just read it - it was in my pile to bring to my condo at the Shoe. I didn't think it was derogatory per se, just that it was permeated by the oftentimes arrogant perception of your "normal" upper-bred journalist skier from New England or Colorado who thinks anything South of the Mason Dixon Line smacks of low IQs, mullets, and ramshackle trailers with beat-up pickups on blocks. I would venture to say that the writer has never been to The Greenbrier, or the Homestead. Or perhaps she never bothered to get to know Snowshoe a bit better.

I am not a resident of West Virginia but I have been involved for eight years in federal disaster operations in that state and have dealt in person with their chief executive, their congressional delegation and their people. In my opinion, the dismissive comments by an ignorant reporter reflect more on the reporter herself than on the people of the state or their resort facilities.

On the same hand, folks in the South, even West Virginians, who think it is funny or chic to elevate the "redneck" symbol to the level of a state motto may not fully realize just how unjust they are, both to their own reputation as well as that of the state as an equal player in the national arena.

The first man to break the sound barrier was from West Virginia, Chuck Yeager. So was the only person in our history to have won both the Nobel and the Pulitzer Prizes for her contributions to American literature, Pearl Buck. So was one of America's most notable African-Americans, Booker T. Washington. So was the Vice Chief of the USAF under whom I served in the Pentagon, Robert Foglelsong. So was the US Ambassador to Colombia under whom I served in my assignment there and the one whose leadership had a lot to do with the demise of Pablo Escobar, Morris Busby. None of these folks could be termed a redneck.

I know I'm going off on this a bit too long. But for a reporter to make such stereotypical remarks is indeed preposterous. Especially when I'm sure she would not attempt to make similar remarks about Rutger University's women basketball team. Don Imus would agree...
bawalker
November 2, 2007
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Lou, give me another 10-15 or so years and maybe we'll see the first president of the united states from WV. ;\) "I want this white house to be classed up a bit, bring in that trailer and cement blocks...!!"
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
November 2, 2007
1,535 posts
Worth noting that all the restaurants to which the reported went, and those which she liked, were also non-Intrawest owned. And her review of Ember was quite good, as a matter of fact, comparing it to an upscale place in Soho.

Snowshoe has a lot of work to do in their customer service. Their restaurants tend to be second-rate compared to Brian Ball's or even the Bistro. Actually, they're second rate, period. The Junction is probably Intrawest's flagship and frankly, it is a disaster. I simply don't go there anymore. Cheat Mountain Pizza is just a pizza joint, period. Auntie Pasta is a far cry from what it used to be.

Fortress' ownership of Intrawest and by rights, Snowshoe, should hopefully improve its costumer image. Maybe...
Ullr
November 2, 2007
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
I never really had a problem with the Junction, but if I ever tried to go back into Cheat Mtn, my wife would kill me. We had about one of the worst experiences ever in there!

When you refer to Auntie Pasta's, are you talking about when it was in it's old location? If so, then yes, it is a far cry from what it used to be!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?