Whistler Peak to Peak gondola - afraid of heights?
9 posts
7 users
2k+ views
dcmidnight
October 31, 2007
Member since 11/11/2006 🔗
125 posts
comprex
October 31, 2007
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
dcmidnight
October 31, 2007
125 posts
I remember that. Yikes...
JimK - DCSki Columnist
October 31, 2007
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
 Originally Posted By: comprex

20 died when acft cut gondola cable. Apparently, one of the all time worst poorly-advised hotdog maneuvers by a flight crew.

A similar peak to peak lift was installed in Kitzbuhel Austria a year or two ago: http://www.skinet.com/skinet/travel/article/0,26908,1607286,00.html
Article shows people drinking champagne on the lift. I think I'd need a shot too.
dcmidnight
October 31, 2007
125 posts
Almost 1400 feet high. Holy cow. Although it will save you an hour or two in down/uploading time in traversing between alpine areas - I dont know.
skiTLINE
November 1, 2007
Member since 12/15/2004 🔗
230 posts
What do you say we build one between TLine and Canaan

hahahahaha
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
November 1, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Actually, not a far fetched or new idea. A number of years ago SKI (at the time flush owners of Killington and multiple other ski areas) apparently tried to buy Timberline and the non-government between it and Canaan Valley ski slopes. They proposed a mid-Atlantic multi-mountain ski circus such as in Europe with lifts and slopes interconnecting and running along all the mountains. I had even heard that they were not so much interested in real estate as running a massive ski operation.
Alas, it did not happen.
Anybody else remember this and able to share more info?
The Colonel \:\)
Aaron
November 2, 2007
Member since 01/12/2005 🔗
54 posts
You want to know a scary lift. Marte in Las Lenas Argentina. The skiing is worth it - but it took them 10 years just to find a company willing to build it. The towers go from cliff to cliff, with an avy train below it. One of the lift towers has high tension cables suspending it about 30 degrees over a cliff. And just for extra comfort, when I went the wind from an avalanche below it derailed the lift earlier in the season and they had just fixed it the day I arrived. It's a slow (I think 3 seater from memory)... you DON'T want to be caught in a wind hold (above about 10-15 MPH) on it.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
November 3, 2007
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Scary lift? Believe or not, one of the scariest lifts I ever took was at St. Moritz. The poma lift was located on the Corvatsch side of the resort--steeper, north facing slopes than the more famous and mild-mannered Pontresina side (the glitz and glammer side of the resorrt). To skier's left side of the Corvatsch area are slopes served mainly by Poma lifts. One of the these lifts pulled skiers across a steep, icey ridge with a huge drop on the right-hand side of the T-bar. Falling off that T-bar could result in serious injury, maybe death.

http://www.bergbahnenengadin.ch/images/shared/021/maps/corv2_wi_4.jpg

St. Moritz gets a bad wrap as being a place for the spoiled and the rich but there's actually some awesome skiiing there, not just at the Corvatsch area, but at Diavolezza/Lagalb as well.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?