11 posts
7 users
3k+ views
Roger Z
October 27, 2007
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Hi All-

Okay, due to limited vacation time and a pressing need to get to El Salvador (since my wife lives there), I have virtually no opportunities to ski this winter in the Rockies. One of my only rays of hope is New Year's Eve, because my buddy is getting married on New Year's Eve in Park City (tough place to get married, eh?).

So I've got two questions- first, is anyone up for a ski trip to Utah New Year's Eve? I'm thinking of flying out Friday, December 28th and returning late on January 1st, giving four straight days of skiing. Now, the one catch is I've got this wedding to go to at 4:00 or 4:30 in Park City on New Year's Eve (with an open bar reception), but I think I'm allowed one guest if anyone wants to crash it (my buddy won't mind). Other than that, my plan is to find a cheap hotel and ski the Cottonwoods- particularly Alta and Snowbird if the parents aren't in tow.

The second question I have is- even if no one is interested (please PM me if you are!), where are some good, inexpensive but relatively-safe places to stay in SLC? I know this has been asked a lot so if it's easier, feel free to just point me to a thread that you think has good advice on it.

Thanks all!
fishnski
October 27, 2007
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
I'll be there! Its me & you baby...I'm ready! I love receptions & Vodka,Rum & free Beer!...Cheap Motels?...ain't no problem..I'll borrow some Frontline from my dog..If your scared..say your scared!
Roger Z
October 27, 2007
2,181 posts
and to think I thought that nothing scared me...
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
October 28, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
There are several Motel 6s and their is an America Suites or whatever in the Sandy area for under $50. I assume you are not in the wedding party or you will have other obligations other than just attending the wedding.
The Colonel \:\)
wojo
October 28, 2007
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts
http://www.crystalinns.com/mryut.html

Crystal Inn was great. On these hotels take into account the quality of the brunch, airport pickup, shuttle to restuarants.

For 115$ I got airport pickup, restuarant shuttle, and on a ski bus stop, 2 excellent meals (breakfast and dinner), pluse you could snag some fruit for lunch snacks. So the little extra saved on a rental car and meals. Plus the staff was wonderful and helpful. I recommend this place.
Crush
October 28, 2007
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
yoi'llbe there 26-30 so maybe we can catchup. midvale is not too expensive and centrally located. i think wojo is quoting about the crystal inn there-abouts. all off fort union.
October 28, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
The place I was trying to remember the name for Utah stays is Extended Stay America in Fort Union.
October 28, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Just a reminder that trying to stay in Park City the last 10 days or so of January is near impossible, and very expensive...thanks to the annual Sundance Music Festival and a host of celebrities.
Roger Z
October 29, 2007
2,181 posts
Thanks for the info guys, I'll look into the hotels. I might just stay at the wedding hotel, except that's like $125 a night which is kind of frilly (but it does have free shuttles to the Park City ski resorts... hmmmmm....)

Yeah I know about the Sundance debacle. My parents and Sandra and I went there last year at that time, and my parents are going back this year at that time. Unfortunately I can't make the trip, not only because of the trips to El Salvador but also because something extremely important here at work is occurring that week (damn job). Anyway, I wasn't thrilled with the Sundance- it's like New York City shows up in the mountains. People complaining about the cold as they sip their eight dollar mocha fru-fru, trying to recover from the party they were out at until three a.m. the night before where they got drunk off wine spritzers and kept everyone awake (including me, of course) with their incessant car honking and shouts of "I LOVE Merril Streep" or whatever it is they think is so important to announce to the world at three in the morning, wondering what the big white lacy things are coming down the mountains and why anyone would bother to deal with such an icky, cold sport, yada yada yada...

..gads I love writing about Hollywood types on Monday morning, my sarcasm is really in high gear!
tromano
October 29, 2007
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
The la quinta on 7200S is pretty nice too. If you aren't renting a car it might be worth it to jsut stay in PC.
JohnL
November 18, 2007
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Roger Z,

Very belated congrats on your nuptials. You move fast man!

Have you decided on where you're staying in Utah? A couple of points: The Extended Stays are great but they require a stay of seven days or more to get the great deal. The Motel 6 off Fort Union in Mid-Vale is cheap, but it is a bit sketchy. I've stayed there a lot in the past when I needed a crash pad, but not sure if I'll do so in the future. Every other trip seems to have an incident among the guests where a police officer has to show up. The Motel 6 is near a lot of other places mentioned on this thread...

So Washington State is out for you this Winter?
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.