Ski Pants
16 posts
11 users
4k+ views
langleyskier
October 16, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
I need to get a new pair of ski pants this year and need a pair that are very durable (will be skiing 4+ days per week), waterproof (gore-tex or something comparable), reasonably priced (sub $100 would be great), very warm (will be doing a lot of cold and windy night skiing), and are as lightweight as possible. I have been looking at sierra trading and it seems they offer some of the best deals. Any input would be really helpful.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
October 16, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I have used Sierra and found them to be all that is advertised.
The Colonel \:\)
David
October 16, 2007
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
4 DAYS A WEEK!!!! How did you manage that one??

Ok:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mens-MARKER-Insulate...1QQcmdZViewItem

I have a pair exactly like these that I have used for 4 seasons now. Marker did a great job making these. I LOVE THEM!!!! They are extremely durable, very warm, and very waterproof. I only wear a pair of skin tight thermals underneath them and have never got cold (even in subzero temps). If the pants in that auction fit I think it would be an awesome deal.
crunchy
October 16, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
backcountryoutlet.com has some northfaces's for under $100. i can attest their hyvent material being very waterproof. they have a ton other pants too and alot have real reviews which is cool. the most important thing to pay attention to is the waterproof rating of the goretex or the vendor specific material is. anything 10K or above is really good.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
dcmidnight
October 17, 2007
Member since 11/11/2006 🔗
125 posts
If someone could find me a pair of Boulder Gear XTC pants I would buy them again in a second. I bought this pair maybe 7 years ago and they are the best made piece of clothing that I have *ever* bought save for maybe the BG jacket I got. If I could ever find their stuff again I would buy two or three pairs and hoarde them in my closet.

As for companies still in business I would recommend the North Face gear. My dad has their ski pants and loves them. He falls down a lot too so can attest to their waterproofness.
Jeremy
October 17, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
73 posts
I love my LL Bean Snowsport pants. They are warm, easy to get on and off, and completely rip-proof (I have spent plenty of time on my butt sliding down the hill to prove it).

They are a little more expensive than you mentioned, but you probably can use a coupon to get the price down a bit. Like all LL Bean Stuff, they are garunteed. If they rip or don't do well in the wash (mine are fine), then take them back and they will give you a new pair. Here is the online link:

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...d=-1&&feat=pprv

I have also seen them in the store recently in Tysons Corner.

Edit: They also have non-insulated if you want
wojo
October 17, 2007
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts
 Originally Posted By: langleyskiier
I need to get a new pair of ski pants this year and need a pair that are very durable (will be skiing 4+ days per week), waterproof (gore-tex or something comparable), reasonably priced (sub $100 would be great), very warm (will be doing a lot of cold and windy night skiing), and are as lightweight as possible. I have been looking at sierra trading and it seems they offer some of the best deals. Any input would be really helpful.

Being the buget minded person I am (i.e., cheap), I know that every year sports authority has 20$ ski pants. If its cold, they don't need to be waterproof ;), you can buy two pairs for when its really cold! They seem to last me about 3 years. I ski with long johns under them and am good down to about 15 degrees.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
October 17, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Let me tell you what I wear now. I wear a pair of <$50 waterproof wind pants with full length zippers down the legs. Underneath I wear LLBean, other companies available, lined jeans or chinos. I used to wear long johns, "ski outer pants" with lining, etc. This current combination has kept me dry and warm for the last 6+ years.
The Colonel \:\)
langleyskier
October 18, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
 Originally Posted By: David
4 DAYS A WEEK!!!! How did you manage that one??

Ok:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mens-MARKER-Insulate...1QQcmdZViewItem

Well i manage that by having practice tuesday and thursdays with races on sat and sun... not to bad of a deal if you ask me. Also, i may add another day or two to that schedual if i end up instructing at Tussey this winter.

Thanks for the link! But unfortunately i am a medium so they are one size too big.
langleyskier
October 18, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
 Originally Posted By: crunchy
backcountryoutlet.com has some northfaces's for under $100.

Wow that seems like a great site and amazing prices.. only problem is that they carry every size except medium!! Kinda annoying because those north faces seem perfect. Anyone knwo of another site where i may be able to find some NF deals?

If i cant find anything else i may go with these colombia pants . Seems like an ok deal for a good product.
squirrel
December 2, 2007
Member since 11/30/2007 🔗
19 posts
if u want something durable and warm start checking out snowboard pants. much more durable then the regular old ski pant and most are more functional with many more tear resistent areas and pockets (we all need more pockets). try 686, volcom, and burton. I have used all of them and reccomended them in a second. you can get away with a basic "shell" pant if you layer properly...just remember too much warmth will = cold quickly. owe, and if all u other skiers out there haven't noticed snowboard companies generally create the most styln gear out there (hate to admitt but true).
MangyMarmot
December 5, 2007
Member since 12/25/2002 🔗
183 posts
I got some Marmot board pants. Cargo style. They awesome, even have felt knee pads, which is nice when I'm tightening the spousal unit's boot straps. Keeps the knees warm and from hurting on the ice.
Though, they could use a bit of reinforcement in the inside of the ankle area, as every now and then i'll ding that area with my inside ski edge.

mm
langleyskier
December 6, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
squirrel- ya i have some snowboard pants right now. the problem is that i need them mostly for racing or at least race practice which means that big and baggy is not necessarily good. however, that said i guess it does not matter as much for me this year because i now have a speed suit. I do need new pants and i want to thank everyone for the help and if anyone has any more suggestions or links pleas let me know. im going to ask for pants for a Christmas present so any input is greatly appreciated!
tromano
December 7, 2007
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
That is why as a skier you don't want to get snowboard pants. They aren't reinforced in the right areas.
David
December 7, 2007
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
 Originally Posted By: tromano
That is why as a skier you don't want to get snowboard pants.

I tried to tell a buddy of mine the same thing. He was worried about what he was going to look like, so he bought some new-schoolish snowboard pants to SKI in.....Needless to say that he doesn't care much for them anymore...
Taylormatt
December 11, 2007
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
Check out overstock.com, Predator pants, 10k waterproof for $79 and free shipping. All sizes in 4 colors available. There's actually quite a few pants deals on there right now. I just ordered the Predators today. Always need more pants \:\)
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.