October 9, 2007
Member since 10/9/2007 🔗
6 posts
J & J SKI GROUP
MT SUTTON SKI TRIP
QUEBEC CANADA
JANUARY 20 - 26, 2008
This is the J & J Ski Group 31st year at Mont Sutton and Hotel Horizon

COST: $509 - $549 per person with double occupancy (depending on room type)

COST INCLUDES:
Accommodations at Hotel Horizon in Sutton, Quebec, Canada for six nights beginning Sunday night (dinner included) until the following Saturday after breakfast, two (2) meals per day (breakfast and dinner) dollar limit provided upon arrival for meals and a five day lift ticket Monday through Friday. Discount prices for seniors, children and students packages. Children 5 and under stay and ski FREE with two adult in room.

MONT SUTTON OVERVIEW:
In the Eastern Townships, Mont Sutton is known for its abundant powder snow and management leaves it for snow sliders to enjoy. Even the fall line glades are wide enough to groom, but when the snow falls they're left alone to enjoy as-is. On-site facilities include; ski rental, repair, food service and shops. Activities include; Skiing, Snowboarding and Terrain park ("Skill Zone") area. Mont Sutton features a 1,500 ft vertical drop with 53 trails and 9 lifts. Plenty of trails for all skill levels.

HOTEL HORIZON FEATURES:
Located at: 297 Maple, C.P. Box 130, Sutton, Quebec, Canada J0E 2K0
Nestled on the side of Mont Sutton, Hotel Horizon overlooks the surrounding hills and valley. The hotel is located one mile from Mont Sutton Ski Resort. Rooms include: One or two double beds, complete bathroom, color cable T.V and spectacular views. The hotel is a non smoking hotel. Hotel features include; indoor heated pool, two hot tubs, game room, bar, dance floor, restaurant open for breakfast and dinner (pig roast for Thursday dinner). Cross-Country skiing is also available at an additional cost next to the hotel on 15 mechanically groomed trails, forming a looped circuit of 58 km.

Please contact Buddy Whetzel, (301) 855-1520 (h) evenings or leave message or (301) 325-0420 (c)
comprex
October 9, 2007
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
October 9, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Since this trip is posted to two forums, I will ask the same question in both!
Ihave not been to Mt. Sutton for quite a while, but have had many fantastic ski days there in the past.
Who, what is the J&J Ski Group. Ages, types, etc. Affiliation?
The Colonel
comprex
October 9, 2007
1,326 posts

FWIW, Colonel, I've never skied with them.
J & J Ski Group
October 10, 2007
Member since 10/9/2007 🔗
6 posts
Colonel,

J&J Ski Group started 31 years ago by a group of NASA Goddard employees going to Mt Sutton for a week ski trip. They ended up staying at a family owned lodge on the mountain, Hotel Horizon (www.hotelhorizon.com). Over the years the group has had as many as 100+ skiers go on the one week trip to Sutton. We are one of three groups that has been staying at the hotel and skiing Mt Sutton 30+ years, this has allowed us to receive great discounts for our loyal business over the years. Only a couple of the original members still come on the trip, with no affiliations and non profit. The average age of the group is probably 35. The skiing is great for the east coast, no lift lines, and plenty of trails for skiing levels. I have been with the group the last 14 years and now have taken over for one of the original members. I am looking to get the word out about this trip and came across the website to post the message. Please contact me if you have any additional questions.

Buddy
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
October 10, 2007
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
That's a nice deal, especially considering the negative changes in the exchange rate. Personally, I will be at tline that weekend with no rescheduling possible. I do have a couple of questions: how does the group typically travel - fly to burlington or montreal, then bus or drive ? - and do you typically take side trips to Jay or otherwise ?
J & J Ski Group
October 10, 2007
Member since 10/9/2007 🔗
6 posts
The group has never organized a bus or plane to travel to Sutton. The majority of the people who go on the trip are from the DC area and will drive. It's about a 10 hour drive. Most travel in groups up/back and arrangements are usually made for people needing a ride. Those who do fly will fly into Burlington, VT and rent a car. If you fly into Montreal you will need a passport and starting in 1-31-08, after our trip you will need a passport for driving. Both airports are about a hour from Sutton. Over the years several folks would take side trips to Jay, about an hour away. I have skied Jay and the other two local resorts to Mt Sutton and prefer Mt Sutton over them.

Buddy
ridenski - DCSki Supporter 
October 14, 2007
Member since 04/11/2004 🔗
82 posts
Must be a long drive! I copied and pasted the Hotel Horizon link, which brought up photos of a great-looking hotel and some very challenging, very snowy ski terrain-- in Khathmandu, Nepal! (I'm sure the Mt. Sutton trip is also very good).
comprex
October 14, 2007
1,326 posts

Too funny.

http://www.hotelhorizoninc.com/

I usually stay across the way, at Auberge Les Appalaches.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.