A few old pics from 7 Springs
12 posts
6 users
8k+ views
RobertW
September 30, 2007
Member since 10/14/2004 🔗
199 posts
I have been trying to go through boxes of old pics that I have in my spare time and I found these old shots from Seven Springs. They date from late 70's to early 80's and show a lot of stuff that isn't there anymore and few things that are not there yet. The quality is not that great...but I hope you find them interesting.

http://leacar.smugmug.com/gallery/3567299#202341082

I also found an old Trail Map from (I believe) the 1975-76 season. It shows lots of old lifts (only the Blitzen triple is still there) and interesting elevation notation that calculates out to an 876 foot vertical prior to the existence of the Gunnar Slope! Hope you enjoy.

Large download (PDF) 3.9 MB

http://www.leacar.com/download/1975TrailMap.PDF
queenoftheslopes
October 1, 2007
Member since 11/15/2004 🔗
143 posts
Great pictures! I also thought it was fun to see the old trail map.

7-Springs is one of my favorite Mid-Atlantic ski resorts, and will certainly miss going there this year.
GGNagy
October 1, 2007
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
Heh.. Brought back some memories, or at least confirmed that they were not just some strange dreams. I thought I had remembered sunrise/sunset being one lift, but had been away from 7 springs for a long while, and could not find much online to confirm the unique configuration until you posted the pictures.

Up until recently, the old sunrise terminal base was still standing. Is it still standing or did they take it out as part of the installation of the new park?

While we are on the topic, when did corkscrew and northwest passage return to the trail maps?
jb714
October 1, 2007
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
Robert - Awesome pictures. I've been skiing 7 Springs since the winter of 77/78, so these brought back some memories.

Didn't the pedestrian covered-bridge/walkway collapse after a huge snowstorm - somewhere around 92/93?
RobertW
October 1, 2007
199 posts
 Originally Posted By: GGNagy
Up until recently, the old sunrise terminal base was still standing. Is it still standing or did they take it out as part of the installation of the new park?

While we are on the topic, when did corkscrew and northwest passage return to the trail maps?

I think the old Sunrise base terminal was removed last year or the year before. There is now a small building there that houses the Park/Pipe HQ.

Corkscrew officially returned to the Ski Trail Map last year. I believe it has been on the Mtn. Bike map for a few years.

I'll have to look but I think there is a piece of the original Northwest Passage that connects from the top of North Face and across Giant Steps. I have a later trail map that I found from the Giant Steps era (pre-Gunnar) so I'll take a look at that later.

Glad you enjoyed the pics!
RobertW
October 1, 2007
199 posts
 Originally Posted By: jb714
Didn't the pedestrian covered-bridge/walkway collapse after a huge snowstorm - somewhere around 92/93?

Yes it did. I know the local news and papers here covered it but I can't remember the date for the life of me. I'll try a search of the archives later tonight.

Glad you enjoyed the pics!
RobertW
October 1, 2007
199 posts
I also found what I believe to be the 1984 trail map. (Again a large PDF file...3.2 MB)

http://www.leacar.com/download/1984TrailMap.PDF

It's interesting to see that the Village Trail was originally the "No Name Trail". The Avalanche and Tyrol double chairs had also been replaced by Triples. The Northwest Passage trail is on the current map as a short connector between the North Face and Giant Boulder. The original trail continues across Giant Steps and Gunnar lift line (as best as I can remember) as a narrow catwalk and cuts back into the Giant Steps flat.

The collapse of the pedestrian walkway (Snowshoe Bridge) roof happened in February 1994 according to the Post Gazette archive. 12 people were injured in the collapse caused by heavy snowfalls.

I also turned up a VCS tape of my parent's old ski film (8mm) shot in the 50's. There is footage of 7 Springs and what I believe to be Wisp. If there is any interest in this stuff, I'll digitize it for viewing.
jb714
October 2, 2007
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
 Quote:
I also turned up a VCS tape of my parent's old ski film (8mm) shot in the 50's. There is footage of 7 Springs and what I believe to be Wisp. If there is any interest in this stuff, I'll digitize it for viewing.

I'd love to see the old footage!
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
October 2, 2007
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
I'll second that!
RobertW
October 2, 2007
199 posts
I'll add it to my to-do list!

I found this map of Laurel Mountain from 1980 and thought of you Laurel Hill Crazie. Wish I had some pics from there....

http://www.leacar.com/download/LaurelMountainTrailMap1980.jpg
GGNagy
October 3, 2007
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
I three the footage.

(an old Bert and Ernie bit just popped into my head, and now I just ned to hope 5 more people chime in. \:\) )
Taylormatt
October 4, 2007
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
 Originally Posted By: jb714

I was teaching there 92-93, didn't happen when I was there. I moved to CO immediately after that season's end. The bridge collapsed more like 93-94 or 94/95. I'm thinking 94/95 because the new stone Skier Services building is dated 1996 iirc.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?