$10 garage sale skis
5 posts
3 users
1k+ views
comprex
September 28, 2007
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts

The ones that only get used if the roads are closed and cabin fever sets in. The boots are probably not fitting right, they're probably not the right flex for the skier's weight, and they're probably buried under the dead Christmas tree lights.

There's nothing wrong with them.

Now, there is a way to make them just -slightly- better.

Most "urban" use is going to involve at least one crossing of asphalt, concrete, sanded area or some combination of those.

Unfortunately, ptex is softer than all those and gets pitted and fuzzed up with little hairs.

Scrape the fuzz off and they will glide better. A cheap steel scraper like Swix one sold by REI and others is optimal (sharp and rigid, gets it done in two passes) but one can improvise almost anything.
kwillg6
September 28, 2007
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Hey, Thanks! You just reminded me that I want to have at least one pair of skis and boots at my main residence this winter just in case a "big one" happens and I can hike and make some turns in the neighbor's pasture... Trouble is, I have too many "rock skis" to choose from :/. decisions. decisions.
jimmy
September 28, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
kwillg6
September 28, 2007
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
I think I need to have a rock ski sale on the first day of the season. Let's see, lawn chair, saw horse, rock ski's, cooler of winter beer. Sale time, apres ski on the deck.... Wanna join me Jimmy?
comprex
September 28, 2007
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
For actual turns I'm gonna go new this year.

Let me know if you run out of sale/Adirondack chair stock.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?