New eats in Davis
22 posts
11 users
11k+ views
Norsk
August 17, 2007
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts
Well dayum. They've done and gone opened something new in Davis. Just tried the new burrito joint, Hellbender, and it is mighty fine eatin. Open only since last Wednesday. On Main St. across from Mutleys. I think they have a winner.

There is also a new pizza place on the north end of town. Personally I wasn't aware that you can improve upon Sirianni's, although if I read the sign correctly on my way into town, this one does delivery.
crunchy
August 20, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
yeah man, I had a chicken burrito from hellbenders yesterday. wish they had wholegrain tortillas tho \:\( that pizza place is fat tonys i think that has the sign that says delievery, but i never see it open when I drive by. If I had the money I would try to open a papa johns franchise in the valley. \:\)
jonjon1
August 20, 2007
Member since 09/11/2006 🔗
187 posts
I've been to Hellbender's a few times and really enjoy it. Its nice to get a little more variety in town. Tony's (the new pizza place) is very good, too. They deliver in town, but from what I understand they only go to Canaan Heights to meet people over in the valley.

There is also a new place right next to Hellbender's that has done a lot of renovations lately -- they are still not sure exactly what type of food they will be offering, or exactly when it will be ready -- but the face of the town is changing!!
crunchy
August 20, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
 Originally Posted By: jonjon1
but the face of the town is changing

yeah pretty soon they will need local attorneys \:\)
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
dmh
August 21, 2007
Member since 12/11/2003 🔗
127 posts
I had real hopes that Tony's would deliver to the Valley. The first pizza joint that does will make a fortune. I too ejoyed Hellbenders. I just hope they are sufficiently capitalized to establish themselves and don't close up after a few months like too many who have tried in Davis. I love Siriani's and wings night at Blackwater Brewery but we need some variety.
ubu
August 23, 2007
Member since 05/11/2005 🔗
40 posts
I've always thought someone should open a small pizza delivery kiosk along 32 in the valley. You could pull it off with minimal overhead and major upside with a lock on deliveries. As long as the pizza is good, i.e. better than big johns, this could really be a winner.
Norsk
August 23, 2007
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts
Maybe that could have saved Coyote's. What is the backstory on that situation? Valley dining options ain't too numerous.
yellowsnow
August 24, 2007
Member since 12/15/2005 🔗
289 posts
I heard the Coyote's owner dropped out of directly running the restaurant (whatever it was named previously), and leased it to someone who ran it as Coyote's. Coyote's died for reasons unknown, other than the speculation that there are too many people trying to grab a thin slice of a pretty small market there. I hear the owner wants $4,500 a month in lease money. No wonder no takers.

Well, they're still promising to open a deli and pizza shop in the lower level of the Deerfield restaurant. Maybe that will actually happen someday...and maybe they'll deliver. Don't hold your breath.

It won't be operated by Sirianni's though. Supposedly they were offered but refused the space because of the poker machines.

So, if you think you can make a go of a deli and pizza delivery in Canaan Valley, there's space available in these two places that are equipped and ready to run.
kwillg6
August 28, 2007
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
It's too bad that Sirianni's was booted out of the Deerfield building in the first place. It was a money/business grab by the folks who own/run Deerfield's restaurant. Tried eating there once and never again. The food was terrible by comparison. The available spaces for eateries in the valley proper are owned by people hell bent on making money at the expense of the business. I often thought that if someone could go in and open up a decent eatery, moderatly priced, with a limited menu (like Siriannis) they could do very well. There are too many problems with exsisting locations such as the place where Glenfiddich operated (no sewer capacity), Coyotes (too much rent). etc...
jonjon1
August 28, 2007
Member since 09/11/2006 🔗
187 posts
The blueprints are out on the new development in Davis (although I haven't seen it personally yet). The abandoned gas station in the middle of town had its old tanks removed last week, and after an evironmental okay, things should progress quickly over the next year.

From what I understand, the old gas station will be a guest check in/place for prosepective buyers to come to look at properties. There may even be a mini-mart/grocery type store there. The development will include Victorian style townhomes (to match the feel of Davis' heyday) that will back up to the river and hopefully Riverfront Park. These will stretch all the way over to where the old woodworking building is which will be transformed into a spa and local merchant building (a mini-mini mall so to speak). Last I heard was a completion date of December, 2008, however, I'm not sure if that has changed.

Furthermore, I'd like to announce that the Meyer House has opened a new suite. Check it out at meyerhousebandb.com.

Snow is coming -- I can smell it.
kwillg6
August 29, 2007
2,066 posts
Who's the major in this development? It could be a nice addition to the area if done properly. Davis could use a few more shops. I was amazed at the crowds on weekends this past summer, especially in the evenings.
tgd
September 9, 2007
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
 Originally Posted By: jonjon1
The blueprints are out on the new development in Davis (although I haven't seen it personally yet). The abandoned gas station in the middle of town had its old tanks removed last week, and after an evironmental okay, things should progress quickly over the next year.

I heard about that proposed development last week. My source also said there would be an 18 hole golf course included. The size would rival - or exceed - Tuscan Ridge. Of course isn't there a little issue of the Corridor "H" passing right through that property?

Doesn't seem to me like a favorable market environment to break ground on another new real estate development - particularly one that is exclusively targeting second-home owners.

Tom
yellowsnow
September 9, 2007
289 posts
JonJon seems to be describing a proposed development right in Davis, along the river, running behind the buildings that include the old bank, the post office, etc. I assume this is integrated with the Riverfront Park plan/dream that's been posted next to the Post Office for quite awhile now.

But tgd is talking of a golf course. Tom, where do your sources indicate this would be located? "Corridor H passing right through the property" would put it between Davis and Thomas, based on the currently proposed route, I think.

Obviously gotta be talking about 2 different developments here...
tgd
September 9, 2007
585 posts
I was told the golf course is part of a proposed development between Davis and Thomas. I'm not sure if it is the same development as the proposed river front townhomes - but I think it is. The person I spoke with thought the people who were behind the development had enough clout to have the right-of-way moved! My guess is the golf course idea may be a hedge if the right-of-way is moved rather to avoid putting a span across the Blackwater Canyon right near the state park.

Tom
davisriverwalk
October 2, 2007
Member since 10/2/2007 🔗
13 posts
Hellbenders -- I've now eaten there several times and taken different groups each time. They do nouveau burritos very well. Tree Hugger vege is excellent. I highly recommend them for eat-in or take out, lunch or dinner. Nice addition in the land of pizza!
Pete
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
October 2, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Welcome to DCSki. Are you living in Davis area?
Always great to get more opinions about what's going on in the Valley!
Again, WELCOME!
The Colonel
tgd
October 2, 2007
585 posts
I hit Hellbenders on Saturday. I agree with the previous reports - a great new restaurant and dining option for the area. The owner has done an awesome job with the property - there's a lot more room and light than I thought looking at it from the outside.

Tom
davisriverwalk
November 9, 2007
Member since 10/2/2007 🔗
13 posts
Sorry I've been awol for awhile...I don't live in Davis full time but I own there and am there about 1/3 time. I am an OK alpine skier but for this area I think tele skis are better. There are alot of off piste routes and, and combination routes that involve lifts, climbs and descents. The existence of three ski areas within skiing distance of each other, along with fantastic high country touring, makes for a unique skiing experience!
scottfrombeckley
April 29, 2008
Member since 04/29/2008 🔗
1 posts
Coyotes is open in Indian harbour Beach FL. Vito, the owner from Coyotes in Canaan Valley relocated back to florida, and just opened the Coyotes here. So far I am the only one to visit the old Coyotes, and the new one. If you show your old Coyotes shirt from Canaan Valley, I hear you get a free meal.
yellowsnow
April 30, 2008
289 posts
Huh? I thought the owner of Coyote's in CV was a Maryland guy named Mark Snyder? He re-opened it after he couldn't get any takers to lease the space...
kwillg6
April 30, 2008
2,066 posts
He was the owner of Tuckers, right?????
yellowsnow
April 30, 2008
289 posts
Ah yes, thanks kwill, I believe that's correct. He was, and is, the owner of the building itself for both Tucker's and Coyote's, I think.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?