Do You Have a Backyard Ski "area" or Private Hill?
14 posts
5 users
5k+ views
TravisR
August 13, 2007
Member since 12/4/2006 🔗
79 posts
Do you have a "real" backyard or private ski hill? If you do, please contact me. I am looking to start a collection of private or backyard ski hill's that are actually skied on a regular basis during the winter season.

Contact me here on DCski or stop by the site
www.skiingathome.com
crunchy
August 14, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
I have a few 'potential' ski hills so far, but will know much more after the first few snows \:\) The ones I found on a hike this weekend look near perfect. sweet open glades. and no, I will not cut any trees or brush .. maybe move a few trees that have fell if need be, but thats about it.
TravisR
August 17, 2007
Member since 12/4/2006 🔗
79 posts
Watch out for rocks! I blew out a set of old ski's last year on my hill. I was skiing "out of bounds" on my hill. I cleared the big rocks off of my trail and after a big snow, I thought all was clear...not so much

It's a good thing they were really old ski's
TravisR
August 19, 2007
Member since 12/4/2006 🔗
79 posts
You guys have to see the "Backyard Ski area of the week" this week. I am sure lots of you know about Polar Peak? If not, check out the review I wrote on them at my site:
Roger Z
August 20, 2007
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
I've just gotta say Travis, that you're putting a lot of great work into your site... keep up the good work!
TravisR
August 21, 2007
Member since 12/4/2006 🔗
79 posts
Thanks Roger, it is alot of fun!
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
August 21, 2007
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
Well, I have skiied in my yard, all of 10' vert and 30' run. I can do this about 1 in 3 three years. If he snow is really good (once every 10 years), I can continue down the street another 30' vert and 600' long. A fried and I have also freeheeled on the skinny sticks around the local streets. You have to be fast so it doesn't melt before you get back. Does that count?
TravisR
August 21, 2007
Member since 12/4/2006 🔗
79 posts
that brings up a good question! What do you guys think should count as a "True" backyard ski area?

Specific vertical? Snow? Skiiable days? Or just having tons of drive!
TravisR
August 24, 2007
Member since 12/4/2006 🔗
79 posts
All I gotta say is next week's featured hill is AWESOME! They guy has a snowmaking system that has aftercoolers and he even has hydrants on the hill...insane! I'll be writing the review over the weekend when I have time between building my new house and working
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
August 25, 2007
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
re: what it takes

i think you need some kind of infrastructure for the purpose, like at least a fence built to rest your skis or XC trails cleared, which i don't have. Travis at least has a snowfence and a rope tow, that's nearly commercial grade ;-)
TravisR
August 26, 2007
Member since 12/4/2006 🔗
79 posts

Here is this week's hill, puts mine to shame!!

Complete review on the site! www.skiingathome.com
jb714
August 27, 2007
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
I have a potential ski hill hill at my property near 7 Springs. It has roughly 90' of vertical spread over maybe 350' of horizontal, with northern exposure. Right now it's heavily wooded with some mature maple trees - since I vowed not to cut any trees when we bought the place, I guess I'll have to clear the underbrush and call it a glade. There is a large cornfield that borders it immediately to the northwest (upwind side), and the trees act like an awesome snow fence - last March we had drifts close to 5' deep.

My wife thinks I'm crazy, of course.
TravisR
September 1, 2007
Member since 12/4/2006 🔗
79 posts
jb714,
If I am you, I would be all over that hill this fall, clearing out an area to ski! With 5ft drifts, you couldn't keep me away. Maybe you could thin the hill out and leave the big trees. The main thing is that you get a rope tow, not a necessity but it will allow you to make LOTS of turns without walking. A snowfence may help if you could line it right at the edge of the cornfield, at least your coverage would be more consistant.
TravisR
September 2, 2007
Member since 12/4/2006 🔗
79 posts
OK! As promised! This week's backyard hill is posted! This guy purchased parts of a lift from a ski area and fitted it to his tractor!
www.skiingathome.com

I am still needing more backyard areas to keep the flow going every week....wonder how long this will last as a weekly thing?

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?