Canaan Valley for MLK??
16 posts
6 users
2k+ views
(Anonymous)
January 11, 2004
Is CV holding out opening slopes until MLK weekend?? Now they only have 12 slopes open (despite the cold weather). Do they have slopes ready to open? Are they going to be full open or am I going to be wasting my money??
KevR
January 11, 2004
Member since 01/27/2004 🔗
786 posts
I noticed the same thing and also Timberline... what's up with that?
canaanman
January 11, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
There will be many more trails open this weekend at both resorts. Right now they are pumping out the snow on many trails prepping them for the ongoing season. Timberline feels it best to close down trails while making snow as to lessen incidents.

Hopefully we'll see Off-The-Wall, The Drop (maybe), Almost Heaven(another maybe), Dew Drop, Thunderstruck, and White Lightning open from the top.

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 12, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Based on my visit yesterday, I agree with CM. All the main trails at Timberline should be open by MLK.

CV is also making snow but not to the same extent as Timberline. Timberline has greater snowmaking capacity and that means that Timberline always has more offerings than CV.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
KevR
January 12, 2004
786 posts
Well, that sounds good. I have an opportunity to go this weekend (Sunday or Monday) to either Timberline or Canaan (maybe both?) I have never been to either, so they get ONE shot to convince me to return! :-)

BUT considering how short the season is, what exactly are they waiting for?

(Anonymous)
January 12, 2004
you will fall in love with the valley.Go to blackwater falls, drive thru the state park & check out the deer(they will get real close)as they cruise in & out of the canaan balsam firs eat dinner at tuckers, & yes the sking too Its the pkg deal at the valley!
canaanman
January 12, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
Oh lordy lord... not the deer subject again.

Look, I can understand it if you're from like, Baltimore or Pittsburgh, maybe even parts of DC.. but they're DEER. You see them everywhere.

They roam all over the place, and soon enough you get used to them.

Tip: Don't pull over to take pictures of them, you'll see about 25 more throughout your trip, and there'll be atleast one better photo op.

KevR
January 13, 2004
786 posts
I have been to the area, just never skied it. As for deer, I like the idea that we can somehow live side by side, but it is proving somewhat difficult.

Roger Z
January 13, 2004
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
The Canaan Valley deer are the cows of the West Virginia highlands!
(Anonymous)
January 13, 2004
Actually I tend to compare the deer to rats, and the geese to pigeons.
Rich
January 13, 2004
Member since 11/30/2000 🔗
194 posts
Tuckers...a favotite with the wildlife. Imagine sitting by the window in the back bar area when a full grown black bear stands up leaning on the glass checking out what YOU'RE eating !! There's a pic of it on the wall there.

Deer ... with a bag of chips & a $500 fine - you can make them do tricks! City-slickers---please take a hike to see them and DON'T line up on the side of the road! Those of us trying to pass around you can't see if the deer in front are about to leap across the pavement. And...ha-ha...they have terrible traction on hard pavement!!!

canaanman
January 13, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
Rich-Tuckers is gone. It's now like Mr. Bear's or something.

Same building, different establishment.

(Anonymous)
January 13, 2004
I had a feeling tuckers was no more. Did they take all the antique ski stuff?The owner was from MD thats why they had seafood there.The prime rib & seafood buffet was the bomb!
(Anonymous)
January 14, 2004
Most, if not all, of the old ski stuff is still in there. Their menu is a good bit smaller than it was before. Food is still decent just not as many choices. Same general atmosphere.
(Anonymous)
January 14, 2004
well nothing stays the same forever EXCEPT ...SNOW..getting back to the original thread,yes cv on mlk because there is a winter storm warning with 5 to 7"!!!!!!
(Anonymous)
January 19, 2004
Canaan has 27 of 37 open right now. Any chance of being full open tomorow?????

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.