anyone gonna be in valley this weekend?
14 posts
6 users
3k+ views
crunchy
July 20, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
anyone gonna be in the valley tomorrow that has a step ladder I can borrow for a few hours? \:\)
yellowsnow
July 22, 2007
Member since 12/15/2005 🔗
289 posts
Your HOA should have one you can borrow...
Roger Z
July 24, 2007
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
I'm going to be "above" the Valley on Thurs and Fri night- Dolly Sods for some car camping with the soon-to-be missus... unless there's thunderstorms. If that happens, I think my fiancee and I will look for a hotel up in Davis or maybe the CV lodge.

Anyone plan to be at Red Creek Campground this weekend?
fishnski
July 25, 2007
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
roger sighting at the sods ??!!
Roger Z
July 25, 2007
2,181 posts
Look for the balding guy with the cute lady. Everyone gets lucky sometimes. \:\)

The weather forecast is getting worse. We might be staying at the Davis Inn or something. We'll see what the forecast says tomorrow morning- but right now a 60% chance of thunderstorms both Thursday and Friday. Just where you want to be camping- on the top of a broad, flat plateau during a thunderstorm.
fishnski
July 25, 2007
3,530 posts
Has she been to blackwater falls?(a must do) Head down just south of the valley past the Golden anchor rest & take 72 towards parsons..take a left on jenningston rd..follow down the MT untill you go across a 1 lane br(main river) take next right & follow river for a mile or so & try to find where the river spills over some rocks into a deep area that runs along a steep granit wall that you can dive off of. Great spot! My ole lady has my Hottub Boobytrapped otherwise I'd tell you to crash it(near golden anchor)...The view Of MPC Would set the Mood!...PS Great views of MPC off of 72!
Murphy
July 25, 2007
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
 Originally Posted By: Roger Z
Look for the balding guy with the cute lady. Everyone gets lucky sometimes. \:\)

Talk about your blind squirrel finding a nut
Roger Z
July 26, 2007
2,181 posts
Are you callin' my girl blind Steve? HUH!?!? \:\)

Thanks for the tip Andy. We're heading to the Bright Morning Inn instead of camping, it's confirmed. I wrote your directions down and will try to get there tomorrow. Also thinking of heading to the Purple Fiddle Friday night to hear some decent mountain music- unlike that crap they pass off in the Ozarks. When Sandra came out in May, we went and listened to a "bluegrass" band from Missouri. They didn't even have a banjo... what's wrong with those people?!?!

Cheers!
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
July 26, 2007
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Been out of the loop for a bit with work and the new home... Roger, are you taking your bride to... Kansas? or returning to the area? I hear the mountain views in Kansas are spectacular...
crunchy
July 26, 2007
596 posts
 Originally Posted By: Roger Z

Also thinking of heading to the Purple Fiddle Friday night to hear some decent mountain music- unlike that crap they pass off in the Ozarks. When Sandra came out in May, we went and listened to a "bluegrass" band from Missouri. They didn't even have a banjo... what's wrong with those people?!?!

Cheers!

there is also 2 guys that play every weekend at Mountainstate brewing co. in Thomas that play some darn nice bluegrass! They have an awesome oatmeal stout there too \:\)
Roger Z
July 30, 2007
2,181 posts
Yes, my bride is coming to... Kansas!?!?! I made the horrific mistake of homeownership. So much for running around every six months. Anyway, the neighborhood is nice and Kansas isn't as bad as Oklahoma (though Oklahoma City is a surprisingly nice city), traffic is non-existent, people are pretty friendly, and real estate is dirt-cheap (and the dirt is fantastic- the stuff they pass off as "clay" around here would be premium fertilizer back in Maryland). You make the most of what you got.

Crunchy, I saw that sign this weekend that you photographed- that was hilarious!

What's the brief recap- Sirani's? Great pizza- their dough is fantastic and the mozzerella is exceptional, if you go get something that really lets the flavor of the cheese come through. On the downside, has "hippy service" as I've started calling it- what's up with alternative restaurants treating their customers like scum? Back at Gillie's in Blacksburg, you practically had to tackle the waiter to get them to take your order. The pizza is worth the wait though.

Purple Fiddle- Furnace Mountain on Friday night. Great band, great times. Their fiddle player was fantastic, as was the lead singer's voice. I didn't quite get into their more modern stuff, but the first few songs were traditional and the fiddle made me cry. I miss the Appalachians a LOT, apparently. I still think the Country Store in Floyd has the single best bluegrass/mountain music/Gospel scene I've heard, but the Purple Fiddle can hold it's own.

And what is there to say about Canaan Valley? I've been to a number of wildernesses and deep woods around the Mid-Atlantic, but nothing really holds a candle to the Dolly Sods and the Wildlife Refuge. Many places claim to be "unique" or "special," but Canaan Valley really deserves the title. Friday we hiked around the Dolly Sods, in the thunderstorms, whee, and had a blast. I've never had so much fun on a rained-out hike. Got some nice photos and just spent a large amount of our hike being mesmerized by the stunning landscape. Then on Saturday we did a "short" hike out Brown's Mountain Trail and Overlook in the Wildlife Refuge. If anyone every gets a chance, don't pass that up. It's off the Refuge access road that rolls out of Davis. If I had had a pair of binoculars and more time, I could literally have spent all day on that knob looking out across the refuge for "critters." Four hours of hiking on a Saturday in the middle of the summer and we saw one other couple. The solitude and tranquility of the north end of the Valley might actually surpass the Sods, especially on the weekends.

Also- there is free car camping on the road leading out of Davis toward the Refuge. I did not know this before this trip. I plan to utilize that camping area someday- set up a tent and still be able to drive to town for dinner! Talk about lazy camping. \:\) But you're on the Blackwater River so... maybe rent a canoe and canoe from Canaan Valley back to your campsite??? That'd be fun.

Oh, and one other point- I was pleasantly surprised to see that Davis has been working on building a river park. Does anyone know how that is progressing? That looks like a bit of very good news- we tend to focus on the "bad" changes that take place in the Appalachians- highways, septic systems, windmills, more condos, whatever. This seems to be clearly a good thing that would be a great benefit to Davis, so it'd be wonderful to hear more about it.

Andy, does your house sit on that ridge that faces north back toward Weiss Knob? We saw a couple of cabins after the rains broke on Friday down that way (looking at it from the entrance road into Laneville) and the location looked superb. Didn't make it over to that spot of yours because we were running late, but I need to get out that way someday- Otter Creek Wilderness. Larger and more secluded than Dolly Sods we were told, though I can say with a degree of certainty that it couldn't surpass the Sods' stunning beauty.

It was good to be back. \:\)
crunchy
July 31, 2007
596 posts
nice report. i think your affinity for the area is as strong as mine \:\) some pretty surreal areas in dolly sods without a doubt. Did you notice the wild blueberries everywhere? the ones I found sunday were really ripe and perfect. I think ive eaten 6 blueberry muffins today already \:\)
Roger Z
July 31, 2007
2,181 posts
Oh geez I forgot to mention the blueberries. Oh yes, they went very, very noticed. There were several pounds less by the time we left. \:\)

Better than the blueberries were the blackberries... mmmmmm... got some good photos of both though! Huckleberries tend to peak in early to mid August, and I always figured they were a close cousin of the blueberry, so I guessed the blueberries were a couple weeks from prime ripedness. Is that an accurate guess?
fishnski
July 31, 2007
3,530 posts
MMMMmmm Blueberries...Antioxidants!!! live to Hike Long time! Was surprised at the upbeat post there travlin Man! Watched the weather a little & it looked DAMP..My place is on the Golden Anchor side of Pointy Knob facing the Roaring plains with Wiess & the knob that Canaan ski area runs up to on my left...they make for some scenic whitetopped frosty views after a good cold lake effect....Blueberry Muffins sound real good right now Crunchy..they would be a nice dessert to my Homemade & Homecaught Crabcakes I just wolfed down!..(Had to throw in a beach plug)...3 more months till the 1st SNOW!!!!!!!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?