July 4th in the Valley
15 posts
7 users
4k+ views
skiTLINE
June 26, 2007
Member since 12/15/2004 🔗
230 posts
Just checking who was planning on spending some time in the Valley this July 4th. Me and the fams will be going up on Wed the 4th and staying thru the weekend.

Anyone else going to be around???
kwillg6
June 26, 2007
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Me and the Mrs are planning to be there at this time. What have you got planned for the 4th? Burnt offerings on the grill? Summer beer? Some pyrotechnics maybe? I don't know how long we will stay though. Probably at least through Friday. I'll throw the clubs in as well.
skiTLINE
June 27, 2007
230 posts
Well I am trying to work on the fireworks. Evidently WVA can sell fireworks now?????? REAL fireworks. There is a place just off corridor H which I am hopeful will be selling Wednesday when I swing thru
crunchy
June 27, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
 Originally Posted By: skiTLINE
Well I am trying to work on the fireworks. Evidently WVA can sell fireworks now?????? REAL fireworks.

WV has sold the good stuff for years. You just have to prove you don't live in WV tho. We go up to the place right over the VA/WV border on 81, (15mins from winchester or so) and get killer mortars, cakes, etc every year \:\) P.S. get the Excalibur mortars. they are far superior to most other brands. and the boxes came with 2 tubes last year, which is always fun to launch multiples at onces \:\)
kwillg6
June 27, 2007
2,066 posts
I have some fireworks I purchased on my last trip to SC. Should have a decent variety. I'll check this evening and will let you know. Need to use them in a celebratory way while consuming summer beer. ;\)
crunchy
June 27, 2007
596 posts
damn, im getting jealous of you guys. I don't have a closing date yet, so I doubt I'll have my place by the 4th \:\(

kwill: isn't ALL beer summer beer? ;\)
RyanC
June 27, 2007
Member since 11/28/2003 🔗
160 posts
I'm leaving Baltimore bright and early Wednesday am to head up to Canaan- and am staying until Sunday!
jonjon1
June 27, 2007
Member since 09/11/2006 🔗
187 posts
Believe it or not we actually got raided by the police when we were shooting off fireworks here at the Meyer House in 2004. It was not on the 4th though, it was a week or two prior. Apparently the state police were running a speed trap on 32 up the hill from Davis and spied our fireworks. They came down and parked at Shop & Save and ran around to our house with flashlights blazing and yelling "don't anybody move!".

I was quite shocked (and a bit wined up at the time) so I didn't argue with the fellow who charged onto my porch and demanded I showed him my stash. I eventually complied even though one part of my brain was thinking they would need a search warrant to find the rest in my house -- but I didn't want a trip to the slammer for the evening.

My brother actually got a ticket because they caught him with lighter in hand. He went to contest the ticket because we figured they would have to prove he didn't have a permit -- but lo and behold they had the fire marshall subpoenaed to court.

In the end he paid about $150.00 for the incident and I lost about $200.00 worth of good fireworks. We were a bit unlucky though -- I haven't seen a speed trap set up on 32 in the three years since then! Go figure.
kwillg6
June 27, 2007
2,066 posts
HUH????? Wow! Were were you setting them off?
yellowsnow
June 27, 2007
Member since 12/15/2005 🔗
289 posts

West Virginia Fireworks Laws

CONSUMER FIREWORKS
Specifically Permitted Sparkling devices (fountains, wire sparklers, trick noisemakers, smoke devices, snakes).
Specifically Prohibited Firecrackers, torpedoes, sky rockets, roman candles, daygo bombs.
Selling Period Year-round
Retail Sale Business registration certificate and a Sparklers and Novelties Registration Certificate are required, $15 fee.
Minimum Age to Purchase 16 Years Old

DISPLAY FIREWORKS
Display Permit Apply to State Fire Marshal and local authorities at least 15 days before display date. Non-residents must appoint an in-state legal representative to obtain license, if the local authorities require legal representation.
Insurance Required Minimum $500,000. Local authorities may require a $1,000 bond.
Operator Minimum age: 21 years. State license required; apply to State Fire Marshal. Two operators are required per display.

MANUFACTURE, STORAGE, TRANSPORTATION
Labeling, storage, and transportation regulations specified in law.

LICENSING
Manufacturing license required. Apply first to local authorities, then to state authorities.

ENFORCING AUTHORITY
West Virginia State Fire Marshal
Regulatory & Licensing Division
1207 Quarrier Street, 2nd Floor
Charleston, WV 25201
304-558-2191

LAW NUMBER
West Virginia Code, Chapter 29, Article 3, Sec. 23
and 24 as amended.

\:\)
skiTLINE
June 28, 2007
230 posts
 Originally Posted By: yellowsnow

CONSUMER FIREWORKS
Specifically Permitted Sparkling devices (fountains, wire sparklers, trick noisemakers, smoke devices, snakes).
Specifically Prohibited Firecrackers, torpedoes, sky rockets, roman candles, daygo bombs.
Retail Sale Business registration certificate and a Sparklers and Novelties Registration Certificate are required, $15 fee.
Minimum Age to Purchase 16 Years Old

DISPLAY FIREWORKS
Display Permit Apply to State Fire Marshal and local authorities at least 15 days before display date. Non-residents must appoint an in-state legal representative to obtain license, if the local authorities require legal representation.
Insurance Required Minimum $500,000. Local authorities may require a $1,000 bond.
Operator Minimum age: 21 years. State license required; apply to State Fire Marshal. Two operators are required per display.

MANUFACTURE, STORAGE, TRANSPORTATION
Labeling, storage, and transportation regulations specified in law.

LICENSING
Manufacturing license required. Apply first to local authorities, then to state authorities.

ENFORCING AUTHORITY
West Virginia State Fire Marshal
Regulatory & Licensing Division
1207 Quarrier Street, 2nd Floor
Charleston, WV 25201
304-558-2191

LAW NUMBER
West Virginia Code, Chapter 29, Article 3, Sec. 23
and 24 as amended.

\:\)

Hmmmmmmmmm was it you who arrested jonjons brother???
jonjon1
June 28, 2007
Member since 09/11/2006 🔗
187 posts
 Originally Posted By: kwillg6
HUH????? Wow! Were were you setting them off?

Middle of Davis.
crunchy
June 28, 2007
596 posts
 Originally Posted By: yellowsnow

CONSUMER FIREWORKS

wonder why they allow dealers to sell the big stuff in WV then. Altho, i can think of other things that can be sold in WV but only to out of state residents... \:o

if you are getting any cool stuff tho, this is what you want to get:
Excalibur shells just cant remember the name of the place on 81 over the wv/va line that sells em, i just know how to get there \:\)
RyanC
July 2, 2007
Member since 11/28/2003 🔗
160 posts
 Originally Posted By: skiTLINE
Just checking who was planning on spending some time in the Valley this July 4th. Me and the fams will be going up on Wed the 4th and staying thru the weekend.

Anyone else going to be around???

Let me know if you all decide to do a DC Ski meetup this coming weekend. I'll be in CV from Wednesday pm until Sunday am. Unfortunately, I ordered a new laptop that won't be shipped for a few weeks, meaning I currently have no internet access in the valley. skiTLINE, I'll send you a PM with my phone #s.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
July 2, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
RyanC,
The Canaan Valley Lodge has a free computer hooked up to the internet just off the lobby. You can get your email there.
The Colonel

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.