Just Got Back from Seven Springs
1 post
1 user
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 10, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I was at Seven Springs from Tues. evening until late Friday afternoon (9 Jan).
Tuesday night they had at least 3/4 of all the towers on the front (lodge) side gushing out tons of snow...I have never seen anything like it...the whole mountain was engulfed in a cloud of snow...really impressive. Wish I had taken a picture!!!
The skiing was pretty good, temps were cold!!! Most everything was groomed, and while a bit crusty, not too much ice showing. Some trails had snowmaking in daytime and in many cases it was a very wet snow being made which would coat glasses and gogles with a layer of unable to see through instant ice.
Had a great time, but two complaints:
1. Seven Springs has an awful ski report. Because they list multiple trails together, you can not really tell anything, such as whether a trail is groomed or not, or whether snowmaking is taking place. We skied some green runs such as Lost Boy that were ungroomed with snowmaking ongoing, but below the bailout point. And some groupings said "bumps" even they included a green trail which was smooth as a baby's skin. In this area the Snowshoe trail report is far superior to that of Seven Springs.
2. The temperature in the day ski lodge and cafe was actually 55 degrees on my very accurate digital thermomenter. This is ridiculous, and a bit dangerous for those who sit in the lodge all day, awaiting children or a spouse. When I inquired about this situation, the information folks also complained, stating that they had to wear coats and still froze...they had no idea it was 55 degrees inside-it was in the low 20s outside. This is just a lack of caring by management!!
Should be great conditions this weekend, and for many days to come. ENJOY!!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?