3 posts
3 users
1k+ views
Scott - DCSki Editor
May 30, 2007
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Hello,

A DCSki reader e-mailed me the following question. I don't know the answer, but if anyone does, please feel free to respond to this post.

Thanks,

- Scott

Quote:
I found your site and hope that you may be able to help me out. Do your know if there is, or ever was, a train station nearby called "Laurel Mountain Village Station?" I have a beautiful painting, probably done in the 50s or 60s with this title and wonder if this train station is nearby. I would appreciate any info. you can give me. Many thanks.
tromano
May 31, 2007
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Laurel Mountain contains Laurel Mountain, Hidden Valley and Seven Springs Ski areas. It is a really big area.
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
May 31, 2007
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
The Pittsburg, Westmoreland and Somerset Railroad was established in 1899 to haul minerals and lumber from Laurel Mountain and completed from Ligonier to the top of Laurel Summit in 1900. In 1906 the rail line was extended to Somerset and two passenger trains were added to serve Ligonier and Somerset. The rail bed is the present Linn Run Road through Linn Run State Park which is the administrative center of the Laurel Mountain State Park (ski area) as well as Linn Run Park. The railroad crossed the summit a few miles south of the present day Laurel Mountain Village. A station could have been at the summit but I doubt it would have been known as Laurel Mountain Village Station. In the early days of Laurel Mountain rail service was available to points west from Ligonier and sleeping berths were parked at the Ligonier Station full of skiers from Ohio. Although the rail bed is long gone, the station is still standing in the east end of Ligonier. Perhaps the painting is of the Ligonier Station.

Bill Metzger is a person who may know some details. He is a rail history buff and the author of The Great Allegheny Passage Companion. Bill also designed the trail map for the Forbes State Forest and is working on a map and 'points of interest' kiosk that will be erected in Laurel Summit Park, not far from where the PW&S Railroad crossed the summit. I'll shoot him an e-mail but he may need a photo of the painting to give a definitive answer.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.