"Downhill Slide"
7 posts
4 users
2k+ views
(Anonymous)
January 10, 2004
I searched this forum for these words, and didn't find anything. Has anyone read this recent book by Hal Clifford? A fascinating and informative take on today's and tomorrow's ski industry. Very relevant to our concerns of Laurel Mountain, MPC, T-line and Snowshoe.

Scott - DCSki Editor
January 10, 2004
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Hi camp,

John Sherwood wrote a review of this book on DCSki during the Fall of 2002. It is available at:

http://www.dcski.com/news/2002/11_25_2002/review.php3

John provided some of his own thoughts in the review.

- Scott

Roy
January 10, 2004
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
After reading John's article, I went and purchased the book. While I think the book shows an accurate portrait of what is happening in the industry, there are many aspects that I think we cannot blame the industry. Especially the immigrant (and possibly illegal) aliens that are working there.

If you look in many major cities (and quite a few smaller ones) the hispanic population is frequently taking lower paying jobs and long hours. The insdustries that are hiring them (including the ski industry) need workers that are willing to work these jobs. Therefore, this population is going where the work is.

I come from the restaurant industry and we hired many of these employees. However, we did not feel that we were taking advantage of these employees. Continuously, we would develop these employees to advance into chef or management positions, sponser them to become legal citizens, pay for "English as a 2nd language" classes, etc.

I cannot speak for the ski industry but I hope that they are working on doing the same thing.

(Anonymous)
January 10, 2004
1st the white man brought the africans over to do their dirty work & now they are draining mexico. our cities are choked i can't even put my boat in the water because the ramps are choked.the spanish have mucho babies. they have surpassed the black pop. they will surpass the white pop & this country we will be speaking spanish.You stupid white boys!!Kick your kids off the computer & delay their college for 2 years & send them to the ski slopes to work.Make them landscape ect... I did all those jobs nobody wanted & i'm doing fine.English 1st!! Peace & love to all americans red white blue & every other color the pot has melted. its over johnny.
(Anonymous)
January 10, 2004
PS.. Roy you wern't taking advantage of those people & god bless them for trying to have a life You were taking advantage of the good ole USA!!! Any sking in mexico?
Roy
January 11, 2004
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
"I did all those jobs nobody wanted & i'm doing fine."

So did I. I grew up on a farm, picking tobacco. I went to college and did whatever I needed to do, especially after quitting college. I washed dishes, busboy, you name it. And yes, I'm doing fine also.

People talk about unemployment in this country and our unemployment is high. The unemployment is in factory jobs, manufacturing, and even high tech. Some of these positions are highly skilled, some are not. All are positions that many of the workers would rather get unemployment than go find other jobs they consider "beneath" them. The work ethic of the 50's is no longer around (Oh my god I'm starting to sound like my father, and I'm only 34).

Anyway, as far as ski resorts, I search of rsn and google did not turn up any ski resorts in Mexico.

JR
January 11, 2004
Member since 01/1/2003 🔗
276 posts
Actually, I was in Saltillo Mexico once for a mission trip and saw an advertisement for a ski resort. It was up in the mountains and featured a 100 yard long "fake snow surface" which looked like a bunch of white rubber pentagon surfaces on the side of a hill. Not necessarily my first choice to ride but hey, it is Mexico.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.